The Game

RoquentinRoquentin Posts: 143
Forum Member
The Game is a 1970s set Cold War spy thriller by Toby Whithouse and starring Tom Hughes, Paul Ritter and Brian Cox. It aired on BBC America last year and was apparently quite well received. I was wondering if anyone knew when it will finally air in the UK as I thought I saw it advertised but can't find an exact date. Also I would be interested in hearing from people who have already watched it. I know Whithouse has already spoken about doing a second series.

Comments

• Micki369Micki369 Posts: 390
    Forum Member
    Thursday of next week.
  • RoquentinRoquentin Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    Forum Member
    An excellent blog by Toby Whithouse about the writing process behind The Game...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/writersroom/entries/3584e0cb-e99f-42fa-8253-ec35f2f5b345
  • Loz KernowLoz Kernow Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really looking forward to this series. I'm a fan of Brian Cox, Judy Parfitt, Paul Ritter and Tom Hughes.

It starts on Thurs BBC2 at 9 but does anyone here know if it's repeated on another day? I've been unable to find out.
    Forum Member
    Loz Kernow wrote: »
    I'm really looking forward to this series. I'm a fan of Brian Cox, Judy Parfitt, Paul Ritter and Tom Hughes.

It starts on Thurs BBC2 at 9 but does anyone here know if it's repeated on another day? I've been unable to find out.

I suspect you'll have to rely on iPlayer but I don't know for sure.
  • Loz KernowLoz Kernow Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roquentin wrote: »
    I suspect you'll have to rely on iPlayer but I don't know for sure.

Thanks for your reply. I've programmed my Sky box planner :)
  • xander63xander63 Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've already seen the entire series via BBC America a few months back, and your all in for a treat!

Finally BBC UK has decided to show it here, if you liked the Tinker Tailor movie from a few years back you'll enjoy this as well. Has the same look and feel, an excellent cast just adds to the quality.

I highly recommend this cracking spy drama to everyone! :D
    Forum Member
    xander63 wrote: »
    I've already seen the entire series via BBC America a few months back, and your all in for a treat!

Finally BBC UK has decided to show it here, if you liked the Tinker Tailor movie from a few years back you'll enjoy this as well. Has the same look and feel, an excellent cast just adds to the quality.

I highly recommend this cracking spy drama to everyone! :D

Excellent, that's just what I wanted to hear! I'm huge fan of John le Carré and Len Deighton so this should be right up my Straße so to speak. Apart from brilliant The Americans there hasn't really been a decent Cold War era spy series for quite some time. Spooks and the Johnny Worricker series were enjoyable and hopefully the Beeb won't screw up their The Night Manager adaption but in general I find there's something slightly less compelling about modern set spy shows.
  • xander63xander63 Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roquentin wrote: »
    Excellent, that's just what I wanted to hear! I'm huge fan of John le Carré and Len Deighton so this should be right up my Straße so to speak. Apart from brilliant The Americans there hasn't really been a decent Cold War era spy series for quite some time. Spooks and the Johnny Worricker series were enjoyable and hopefully the Beeb won't screw up their The Night Manager adaption but in general I find there's something slightly less compelling about modern set spy shows.

I agree regarding modern spy shows, I just finished watching Season 3 of The Americans and for me it has probably been the best of the 3 in terms of storytelling.

Thing I like about the period set spy dramas, is there's little reliance on tech and more about the spy Tradecraft as they call. Makes everything seem more real, having to rely on your wits and skill seems more exciting to me.

The Game has some nice twists 'n turns along the way to keep the audience guessing, I absolutely loved it.

I, like you started a thread about The Game back in November when it was originally shown on BBC America.
    Forum Member
    xander63 wrote: »
    I agree regarding modern spy shows, I just finished watching Season 3 of The Americans and for me it has probably been the best of the 3 in terms of storytelling.

Thing I like about the period set spy dramas, is there's little reliance on tech and more about the spy Tradecraft as they call. Makes everything seem more real, having to rely on your wits and skill seems more exciting to me.

The Game has some nice twists 'n turns along the way to keep the audience guessing, I absolutely loved it.

I, like you started a thread about The Game back in November when it was originally shown on BBC America.

I haven't seen the third season of The Americans yet since ITV pulled the plug but I'm in the process of 'acquiring' it. If it continues to be as good as you suggest then it might just become my favourite programme of all current shows. I know it's been renewed for a fourth season at least but my hope is that it will continue long enough to go right through the eighties.

You've hit the nail on the head about tradecraft in modern espionage. Technology has done irreparable damage to the spy genre in art and literature imo. Then again maybe I just find the Cold War ear aesthetic- trench coats, cigarette smoke, soot, grime, drizzle- and the grey/brown colour palette more evocative. I recently watched ITV's 13 part 1980's adaption of Len Deighton's Game, Set and Match starring Ian Holm and it was fantastic. Likewise The Sandbaggers with Roy Marsden which had been made a decade before that. From everything I've read The Game would seem to be a throwback to this kind of show.
  • StaffsyeomanStaffsyeoman Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    10 minutes in and I nearly fell off my chair; "MI5 Headquarters" is actually the old Birmingham Central Library, and it looks like they filmed the interiors inside there before they demolished it. Ah happy memories of going in there to do my A level homework in the reference library in the late 70s so that I could have the evening to my own devices once I got home!
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't fault the production values, the sets and locations all looked very "early seventies."

You can take authenticity too far, as I thought the standard of acting was the same as shows of that era.
    Saving grace, was Victoria Hamilton, excellent actress and I've found her sexy, since I first saw her in "Lark Rise to Candleford."
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely going to give this a watch (on iPlayer in the next few minutes). It looks really interesting and I have loved most of Toby Whithouse's work on Doctor Who and Being Human.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watchable enough but desperately wanted to be Tinker Tailor and there was far too much posing and cheek sucking from the lead.

Was Cox's character called "Daddy" in homage to The Avengers' "Mother"?
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Can someone tell me the approximate running time of the episode on BBC2? I ask because when the series aired in North America six months ago the episodes, minus ads, were about 52 minutes long. Since BBC dramas usually have running times of 59 minutes I am wondering if North America was shown episodes with about 7 minutes edited out of each one.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    57.21 minus the trail for next week.
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    57.21 minus the trail for next week.

Thanks. North America definitely got a trimmed version of the series.
  • sherisgirlsherisgirl Posts: 2,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sat and watched it last night, it kept me interested so will stick with it.
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good, strong story. Pace is about right. Competent cast. Definitely will continue with this.
  • The_MothThe_Moth Posts: 7,740
    Forum Member
    I'm not convinced. Definitely going for the Tinker, Tailor ... vibe but possibly trying too hard. Characters seem a bit too purposely "different" too. I'll probably try again next week though.
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm suspicious of the geeky husband already......
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My money's on Wendy for the mole.

I thought the stereotypical geek, lacking in social skills, was poorly written and the actor didn't manage to make him believable. Much like Sebastian in NCIS New Orleans.

Still, it'll do to fill in till some channel shows The Americans season 3 (please!)
  • saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom Hughes is very pretty, but it seems to me it's been written by someone who once watched Tinker Taylor on a long flight, and thought, how hard can it be?

Surely someone on set should have picked up on Victoria Hamilton pronouncing 'nuclear' as 'nucular' at least twice? Perhaps that's to help sell the series into the US.
  • VerrillionVerrillion Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    Disappointed at the sad lack of any type or realism. Don't people know the difference between MI5 and MI6 as the leads actions in a affair overseas was a action done by MI6 not a MI5 operation.
    Plus little fact on real life they don't have agent s go into the field with too much knowledge due to them been prone to be captured and made to talk.
    So we get a major event predicted by a defecting KGB colonel talked about in corridors by the Daddy and his actual name as if it was latest voting results.
    So im supposed to forget any try at realism for the drama effect.
    Ill add a true fact about the services they are fairly weird as a friend observed about them . Even if the World war was starting they would not run. They don't do panic.
  • Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Even from the advert it looked very similar to TTSS. But I will give it a watch.

Its the BBC yearly spy type drama, we had one last year and the honorable woman.