Disney and Terrestrial TV

SamthefootballSamthefootball Posts: 4,420
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Why hasn't films like the Lion King, Snow white never been shown on the main 5 channels

Comments

• JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Why hasn't films like the Lion King, Snow white never been shown on the main 5 channels

Back in the days before video and when there were only three channels I believe it was because Disney could release the films back into cinemas every seven years or so for new generations to see. So they wouldn't allow them to be screened on tv. But as for now I have no idea. Especially as some have been shown. Lady And The Tramp was on Christmas Eve on BBC1 a couple of years ago for instance. So why not show the likes of Snow White, Lion King and Jungle Book? I know Sky have a deal with Disney. Maybe its to do with that.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Channel 5 have shown a few over the years. In 2012, Beauty and the Beast got a terrestrial premier on C5 after 21 years.
  • intruder2kintruder2k Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    Because Disney ask way too much for the rights.
  • yaristamanyaristaman Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't Snow White shown on Channel 5 last year?
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is a really good point. The Lion King never gets shown on terrestrial but 101 Dalmatians, The Jungle Book, Peter Pan and Robin Hood do. Also, The Hunchback of Notre Dam, Pocahontas and Mulan are Disney classics from the 90's have been shown on the terrestrial channels.
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    rfonzo wrote: »
    That is a really good point. The Lion King never gets shown on terrestrial but 101 Dalmatians, The Jungle Book, Peter Pan and Robin Hood do. Also, The Hunchback of Notre Dam, Pocahontas and Mulan are Disney classics from the 90's have been shown on the terrestrial channels.

The Jungle Book has never been shown on terrestrial tv.
  • STEVE 03STEVE 03 Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    I think Sky now have the right to most of Disney's films and screen them on their Disney movie channel. Although the BBC and Channel 5 still show Disney films occasionally. Bedknobs and Broomsticks are shown on BBC Two last month so I think Terrestrial broadcasters have the rights to certain Disney films but probably not all.