Options

Apple Pay

Comments

• Options
    tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    You can definitely register with a Natwest card cause mine registered this morning. You must be doing something wrong.

There's not much I can do wrong ! Hold my Natwest card up to the camera and type in the 3 digit security code. Just tried again and I get "Your issuer does not yet offer support for this card"
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    tdenson wrote: »
    There's not much I can do wrong ! Hold my Natwest card up to the camera and type in the 3 digit security code. Just tried again and I get "Your issuer does not yet offer support for this card"

Natwest definitely support it. Can you register that card for App Store and iTunes then it will just allow you to register automatically for Apple Pay.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roush wrote: »
    I added two of my Santander cards this morning, and because I already have my mobile number setup as an authorisation device with Santander I was able to verify my cards via a text message code.

The whole process took less than a minute for each card.

Unfortunately the only option I was given was to call their dedicated Apple Pay number.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Natwest definitely support it. Can you register that card for App Store and iTunes then it will just allow you to register automatically for Apple Pay.
    I added two Santander cards with no problems. I have a NatWest debit card for work, and I got the error that it wasn't supported.
  • Options
    RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NatWest's website says they are not currently supporting Apple Pay on their Visa cards, or on business credit or debit cards.

Only personal debit cards and MasterCard credit cards.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Well as it happens my Barclaycard is the card I have registered with iTunes and Apple Pay gives the same error with that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    I added two Santander cards with no problems. I have a NatWest debit card for work, and I got the error that it wasn't supported.

Well it is cause that's the only one I registered. But my Natwest card is registered with Apple for App and iTunes purchases so maybe that's why mine registered ok.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well as it happens my Barclaycard is the card I have registered with iTunes and Apple Pay gives the same error with that.

Barclaycard isn't supported until the end of July. Just change your registered card to Natwest and then you will be able to register for Apple Pay automatically.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Barclaycard isn't supported until the end of July. Just change your registered card to Natwest and then you will be able to register for Apple Pay automatically.

I don't wish to do that. My Natwest card is a business one.
    So basically the statement that Apple Pay works at all contactless terminals is only true if you have successfully managed to register a card with Apple, which I haven't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Here we go again!!

Cash is slower period.

Not if you have the exact change. I bypassed a 20 minute queue at Nairobi airport last week by plonking down the right cash on the counter and running with no exchange of words or anything. I worked on the basis they were too busy to chase after me. I didn't actually know how much it cost, I guessed !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So basically the statement that Apple Pay works at all contactless terminals is only true if you have successfully managed to register a card with Apple, which I haven't.

Of course. Here is the Natwest Apple Pay set up guide with a link to a telephone support number. They will be able to register your card and go through the set up with you :

http://personal.natwest.com/personal/ways-to-bank-with-us1/mobile-banking/Apple-pay.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Of course. Here is the Natwest Apple Pay set up guide with a link to a telephone support number. They will be able to register your card and go through the set up with you :

http://personal.natwest.com/personal/ways-to-bank-with-us1/mobile-banking/Apple-pay.html

But as I say I don't want my contactless transactions to go through my business.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    But as I say I don't want my contactless transactions to go through my business.

Then you will have to wait a week or 2 until the other banks are onboard.
  • Options
    RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, irrespective of contactless terminal compatibility, a prerequisite of using Apple Pay is having an eligible card from a participating card issuer.

Barclay's are not presently a participating issuer, and NatWest - although a participating issuer - are not currently supporting Apple Pay on their business cards.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Then you will have to wait a week or 2 until the other banks are onboard.

That's a shame, I wanted to be an early poser using my Apple Watch to pay for things :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's a shame, I wanted to be an early poser using my Apple Watch to pay for things :)

Then open a Natwest current account. :D I am going to try using mine later but I wonder if you have to point the watch face to the reader. It's going to look weird twisting my arm towards the reader if I have to. :p
  • Options
    d123d123 Posts: 8,605
    Forum Member
    Barclaycard isn't supported until the end of July.

When did that change? All the reports have said Barclays are not participating as they are pushing their bPay system instead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    d123 wrote: »
    When did that change? All the reports have said Barclays are not participating as they are pushing their bPay system instead.

They relented :

http://www.marketingmagazine.co.uk/article/1355846/barclays-relents-apple-pay-service-launches-uk
  • Options
    Chris1973Chris1973 Posts: 670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bypassed a 20 minute queue at Nairobi airport last week by plonking down the right cash on the counter and running with no exchange of words or anything

Meanwhile, back in the UK I imagine its going to get harder and harder to pay for anything in cash, pretty much the same way as Cheques are slowly being phased out.

I purchased some wiring and sockets from an Electrical Trade Counter - about £30 worth and they were unable to accept cash in payment for the purchase. When questioned they reckoned it was instigated by the HMRC in order to cut down on the amount of "Electricians" working on a cash-in hand basis but even so its one example of how cash is already being phased out, and whilst I accept its probably currently an isolated example, I wonder how long it will be before it filters down to other small businesses and everyday high street purchases?.
  • Options
    CloudaneCloudane Posts: 1,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would love if contactless (any form) would replace cash. Getting sick of the cycle of eventually having to break a note, be asked "haven't you got anything smaller", apologise profusely, try to be as efficient as possible with different denominations of coins in the change each time so it doesn't annoy the next few cashiers before having to break another note again. Not to mention places rarely offering cashback any more, struggling to find cash points etc.
    Roush wrote: »
    That's introduced with iOS 9. It won't work on earlier iOS versions.

Ah that explains that, haven't been brave enough for the beta.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cloudane wrote: »
    Would love if contactless (any form) would replace cash. Getting sick of the cycle of eventually having to break a note, be asked "haven't you got anything smaller", apologise profusely, try to be as efficient as possible with different denominations of coins in the change each time so it doesn't annoy the next few cashiers before having to break another note again. Not to mention places rarely offering cashback any more, struggling to find cash points etc.

Ah that explains that, haven't been brave enough for the beta.

WiFi calling doesn't work on the beta so it's a no for me so far.
  • Options
    d123d123 Posts: 8,605
    Forum Member

So the saga of bPay (being better according to Barclays) didn't even make it past the launch day of ApplePay.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's the deal with HSBC then? They were supposed to be part of the launch but apparently they're not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What's the deal with HSBC then? They were supposed to be part of the launch but apparently they're not.

The end of July now apparently.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d123 wrote: »
    So the saga of bPay (being better according to Barclays) didn't even make it past the launch day of ApplePay.

the whole "we're going to ignore Applepay and only do bpay" stance was conjured up by overzealous journalists and outraged fanboys. It was never an actual thing, any more than claims that lack of Apple pay support contributed to their CEO being fired
    this week.

Earlier today BBC's Rory Cellan-Jones agreed bpay worked better than apple pay in shops...
    I've used both - Apple Pay quicker on tube, bpay better in shop. But bPay always only £20 max, Apple Pay will be unlimited

twitter.com/ruskin147/status/620960504006189056