Options

why does itv player have no subtitles ?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 556
Forum Member
✭✭
i forgot to record Downton Abbey last night on my dvd recorder with subtitles for my mum,as you can imagine she wasn't happy.i looked on itv player this morning and was happy it was there.
But when i checked the subtitles their wasn't any , this for me is crazy ITV have made a mistake for not having subtitles !!

Comments

• Options
    ek-ukek-uk Posts: 2,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jamestay1 wrote: »
    i forgot to record Downton Abbey last night on my dvd recorder with subtitles for my mum,as you can imagine she wasn't happy.i looked on itv player this morning and was happy it was there.
    But when i checked the subtitles their wasn't any , this for me is crazy ITV have made a mistake for not having subtitles !!

None of the ondemand content has subtitles. VM have said that they might add them in the future but I wouldn't expect them any time soon. I am only mildly deaf but I still find them to be a boon sometimes so I would like them to add them sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,503
    Forum Member
    ek-uk wrote: »
    I would like them to add them sooner rather than later.

Don't worry, they are planned for 2009. ;)

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=952245
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    goomba wrote: »

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=952245

Good news indeed! :)
  • Options
    womblerwombler Posts: 858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Just need access to my Tardis now .....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jamestay1 wrote: »

It is repeated next Sunday afternoon on itv1!
  • Options
    joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,027
    Forum Member
    No VOD services at the moment has Subtitles,
    under the European Commission rules,
    they now have to be regulated, since May 2010, I think,
    so Subtitles and Audio Description have to be on their soon,
    as all other Access Services as well,
    good news, but we will have to wait
    until the new system beds down
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No VOD services at the moment has Subtitles,
    under the European Commission rules,
    they now have to be regulated, since May 2010, I think,
    so Subtitles and Audio Description have to be on their soon,
    as all other Access Services as well,
    good news, but we will have to wait
    until the new system beds down

Interesting. After reading your post I did a google search and found this pdf document all about subtitles. Basically it says that they (and the BBC) understand customers frustration that subtitles aren't available and they are working on it. It also says they should arrive in 2010 but I think I won't hold my breath. ;).
    At least they are working on it though.
  • Options
    Caffe LatteCaffe Latte Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    Interesting. After reading your post I did a google search and found this pdf document all about subtitles. Basically it says that they (and the BBC) understand customers frustration that subtitles aren't available and they are working on it. It also says they should arrive in 2010 but I think I won't hold my breath. ;).

It's a technical challenge rather than a getting around to it type of thing. VM have said they are working on it though and BBC content will probably be the first to get subs. :)
  • Options
    wolfukwolfuk Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    It's a technical challenge rather than a getting around to it type of thing. VM have said they are working on it though and BBC content will probably be the first to get subs. :)

I can get Subtitles on my VOD stuff, If subtitles are available on the program when it was broadcast on the channel, then you can useally get subtitles on catchup and VOD programe. You just need to click on show subtitles

Wolf
  • Options
    Caffe LatteCaffe Latte Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    wolfuk wrote: »
    I can get Subtitles on my VOD stuff, If subtitles are available on the program when it was broadcast on the channel, then you can useally get subtitles on catchup and VOD programe. You just need to click on show subtitles

Wolf

I think you are mistaken, are you thinking about V+ recorded programmes?

VOD subtitles are currently unavailable, I've just tried a few BBC shows I know will have them and they are not there.

Unless you are in a trial area??? :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,503
    Forum Member

That just the same document as was linked to 2 years ago on the post I found. They have just shunted the arrival date into the future. Given they have been working on it for years now, fingers crossed it will arrive soon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That just the same document as was linked to 2 years ago on the post I found. They have just shunted the arrival date into the future. Given they have been working on it for years now, fingers crossed it will arrive soon.

Ah right. I didn't see that link.