The Magicians: BBC1(HD) - Show 5

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    My god was it possible for this to be any worse than last week?

Yep!!! Sure was.

The tricks were so obvious and transparent and the acting from the celebs was just diabolical. I worked out pretty much nearly every illusion. That coin trick he did in the bingo hall was so obvious he was using gimmick coins that slid inside one another and it was totally obvious when he palmed the coins in larry's hand that he never actually had anything in his hand to begin with. Those coins were (or looked like) quarters or silver dollar coins. Strangely like the gimmick ones they sell in online magic emporiums and at magic conventions. If they were regular coins then why not use English coins seeing as he's in London and would be carrying sterling around with him. The sliding head trick is obviously a fake rigid suit which he slides himself into that doesn't bend with him when he bends over. If you see this trick from behind it's obvious he's just bending forwards.

During the red carpet trick it's obvious when the swap takes place. It appears that the frame holding the red carpet isn't what it appears to be but is in fact a box which they use to make the swap but it's hard to tell on camera.

The paintball trick was SO obvious a child could tell he didn't really load that gun. The gun is rigged. The ball does go into the barrel so the woman can observe it going in but if you look close he appears to fiddle with the butt of the gun which looks like he's opening some kind of catch in the gun to allow the pellet to fall straight through into his hand. It's at this point he palms the pellet. And of course puts it into his mouth when he disappears round the back of the screen and when the gun is fired it just fires compressed air to make you think it's fired the pellet but it was in his mouth all along. As for the shackles well it's not rocket science to see that he can just pull his arms and legs out of those huge cuffs.

The water card trick is done by using a gimmick deck of tapered cards meaning when the girl inserted her card back into the deck it could be found easily and cut to the top of the deck in one quick move which is done while you're being distracted as he gets into the water. The padlocks are a decoy and all locks are fake. His feet are hooked on the top of the cabinet but can be easily removed/unhooked when required. When Morrisey throws the deck into the water he takes off the top card and places it in a slot on the inside top of the cabinet and throws the rest in the water. Once the clock begins the magician unhooks his feet from the top of the cabinet and turns himself upside down (right way up) so he can take a breath of air from the foot or so of room left at the top of the cabinet. After a few minutes he turns himself back upside down which is when they check up on him for the first time. They dont lift the curtain all the way up as his feet are no longer hooked in. Quickly they lower the curtain again and it's at this point he turns himself back round and lifts the fake trap door in the top of the cabinet taking the card with him that Neil Morrissey left in the slot at the top of the cabinet. He jumps out and makes his way out the back of the studio and it's at this point they do the whole shall we break the glass thing to give him enough time to make his way round the studio to the back of the audience. Curtain is lifted and he's not there. Appears at the back of the studio audience to reveal the card picked out by the audience member. If you notice, when they lift the curtain the first time his nose clip has changed from a clear clip to a black one. He must have dropped the first one when he came up for air and probably had a spare one in his pocket.

Please note these are only my assumptions of how the tricks COULD have been done but perhaps they did them another way but these all seem plausable explanations to how they were done.

good assumptions though u could have put them in spolier tags as not every1 might want to know how the tricks are done. the barry and stuart trick- they actually showed us how it was done lol. the iron bar trick was quite horrible to watch.

i think picking out a 'volunteer' out if the audience each week is starting to be too predictable and they always seem to pick someone from the front row or near the front which makes it seem like a fix in a way :D
  • Lizzie60Lizzie60 Posts: 450
    Forum Member
    The sliding head trick is obviously a fake rigid suit which he slides himself into that doesn't bend with him when he bends over. If you see this trick from behind it's obvious he's just bending forwards.

Excuse me being so thick, I followed The Wizzard's explanation of the tricks this far; but how does he bend forward in a rigid suit?
  • eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My god was it possible for this to be any worse than last week?

Yep!!! Sure was.

The tricks were so obvious and transparent and the acting from the celebs was just diabolical. I worked out pretty much nearly every illusion.
    That coin trick he did in the bingo hall was so obvious he was using gimmick coins that slid inside one another and it was totally obvious when he palmed the coins in larry's hand that he never actually had anything in his hand to begin with. Those coins were (or looked like) quarters or silver dollar coins. Strangely like the gimmick ones they sell in online magic emporiums and at magic conventions. If they were regular coins then why not use English coins seeing as he's in London and would be carrying sterling around with him. The sliding head trick is obviously a fake rigid suit which he slides himself into that doesn't bend with him when he bends over. If you see this trick from behind it's obvious he's just bending forwards.

During the red carpet trick it's obvious when the swap takes place. It appears that the frame holding the red carpet isn't what it appears to be but is in fact a box which they use to make the swap but it's hard to tell on camera.

The paintball trick was SO obvious a child could tell he didn't really load that gun. The gun is rigged. The ball does go into the barrel so the woman can observe it going in but if you look close he appears to fiddle with the butt of the gun which looks like he's opening some kind of catch in the gun to allow the pellet to fall straight through into his hand. It's at this point he palms the pellet. And of course puts it into his mouth when he disappears round the back of the screen and when the gun is fired it just fires compressed air to make you think it's fired the pellet but it was in his mouth all along. As for the shackles well it's not rocket science to see that he can just pull his arms and legs out of those huge cuffs.

The water card trick is done by using a gimmick deck of tapered cards meaning when the girl inserted her card back into the deck it could be found easily and cut to the top of the deck in one quick move which is done while you're being distracted as he gets into the water. The padlocks are a decoy and all locks are fake. His feet are hooked on the top of the cabinet but can be easily removed/unhooked when required. When Morrisey throws the deck into the water he takes off the top card and places it in a slot on the inside top of the cabinet and throws the rest in the water. Once the clock begins the magician unhooks his feet from the top of the cabinet and turns himself upside down (right way up) so he can take a breath of air from the foot or so of room left at the top of the cabinet. After a few minutes he turns himself back upside down which is when they check up on him for the first time. They dont lift the curtain all the way up as his feet are no longer hooked in. Quickly they lower the curtain again and it's at this point he turns himself back round and lifts the fake trap door in the top of the cabinet taking the card with him that Neil Morrissey left in the slot at the top of the cabinet. He jumps out and makes his way out the back of the studio and it's at this point they do the whole shall we break the glass thing to give him enough time to make his way round the studio to the back of the audience. Curtain is lifted and he's not there. Appears at the back of the studio audience to reveal the card picked out by the audience member. If you notice, when they lift the curtain the first time his nose clip has changed from a clear clip to a black one. He must have dropped the first one when he came up for air and probably had a spare one in his pocket.

Please note these are only my assumptions of how the tricks COULD have been done but perhaps they did them another way but these all seem plausable explanations to how they were done.

I can see you have a bit of magical knowledge so would ask that you put these solutions in spoilers so as not to spoil it for everybody.

I also noticed that you weren't too forthcoming with a solution for the levitation ( in spoilers if you have to) which was actually something out of the norm of the usual levitation trick and which I couldn't quite figure out. Was waiting for the bit where they pass the ring over the floating person in a rather intricate way that gives away where the support mechanism is but that didn't happen.

Anyway, outside of the levitation trick it was pretty much business as usual:-

Lenny Henry, unfunny, with predictable, tired and lazy one liners.

Magicians and celebs blending uncomfortably with each other.

A lack of a magical atmosphere...it all seems a bit naff and matter of fact.

Worst celebs for me this week...The Lambs...they tried but they just seemed like excess baggage and the bullet in the mouth piece was just a completely overcomplicated drag. .
  • GodAtumGodAtum Posts: 552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No ones mentioned Barry and Stuarts ghost trick.
  • KeelbootsKeelboots Posts: 1,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GodAtum wrote: »
    No ones mentioned Barry and Stuarts ghost trick.

They have.Its called Spirit Cabinet. Nice effect,ruined by Angela Griffin's hammy acting,nice that all the "ghosts" appeared at the end,despite"spectator" watching all round back ;)

Barry and Stuart are best thing about the show, and I thought water tank trick at the end was dragged out and the vanish whilst interesting combining the escape with a card trick was lame.

The Wizard is it neccasary to be a smart alec? :rolleyes:
  • KeelbootsKeelboots Posts: 1,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with this show isn't celebrities per se-Paul Daniels featured celebs of the day in his shows but they were always entertaining-just some of the ones are uninteresting and well crap.. Celebs that have worked :Tulias Ndubz, Ade Edmonson, Rolf Harris spring to mind from memory.
    Angela Griffin?? FFS.
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry maybe I should have put it in spoilers but as I mentioned I have no inside info into how these tricks are done. This is just my guesswork into how they MAY have been done. I remember seeing a similar trick at the magicians convention in Blackpool and as I was sat so high up in the upper circle is was possible to see over the cabinet to woman crawl out the back and disappear down a hatch in the stage floor which obviously came out somewhere off stage. From there they could make their way round the theatre and appear in the audience.
  • ZenithZenith Posts: 3,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...During the red carpet trick it's obvious when the swap takes place. It appears that the frame holding the red carpet isn't what it appears to be but is in fact a box which they use to make the swap but it's hard to tell on camera...
    Yep. That was the only place where the thermal camera couldn't penetrate. So the swap was done there. I wonder what the audience saw when she re-appeared in the front row of seats. They obviously must have seen where she came from.
    ...If you notice, when they lift the curtain the first time his nose clip has changed from a clear clip to a black one. He must have dropped the first one when he came up for air and probably had a spare one in his pocket...
    That's something I just cannot understand. Whatever the reason was for changing the clip, you would have thought he would have had 2 of the same colour!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzie60 wrote: »
    The sliding head trick is obviously a fake rigid suit which he slides himself into that doesn't bend with him when he bends over. If you see this trick from behind it's obvious he's just bending forwards.

Excuse me being so thick, I followed The Wizzard's explanation of the tricks this far; but how does he bend forward in a rigid suit?
    I assume the lower back part has an opening for him to stick his bum through.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tlise wrote: »
    Wasn't the only thing that was swapped. Angela's arms were folded one way as they were fastened, camera pans to audience at the end, oh look, she hasn't been able to untie them but they are folded the other way. Not a good end to her section.....
    Well spotted. Didn't notice it at the time, but just watched it again.

To be fair, they were folded the same way throughout the trick. It was only right at the very end when they were taking their applause that it happened. I wonder if that very last piece was recorded later on in the show. Perhaps for technical reasons they couldn't use the original ending.

Did anyone else notice that a chunk was missing from the end of the levitation trick? After the hoop was passed over him there was a cut to the audience, then the 2 supports were suddenly back under the plank of wood. We didn't see them being put back. Then the whole contraption mysteriously slides off stage by itself!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Keelboots wrote: »
    They have.Its called Spirit Cabinet. Nice effect,ruined by Angela Griffin's hammy acting,nice that all the "ghosts" appeared at the end,despite"spectator" watching all round back ;)

Barry and Stuart are best thing about the show, and I thought water tank trick at the end was dragged out and the vanish whilst interesting combining the escape with a card trick was lame.

The Wizard is it neccasary to be a smart alec? :rolleyes:

And the fact her tied arms swapped positions so she folded them differently one second to next......
  • robot1000robot1000 Posts: 2,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How disappointing it must have been for the audience to see these 'magic illusions' ruined before their very eyes!