Options

Seems Peter Kay is stealing jokes

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,665
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Watched the new Peter Kay DVD this morning in the hope that it'd be alright and I found that not ten minutes in hes stealing jokes.

He stole jokes from Lee Evans and Michael Mcintyre.

He'll get away with it though.

Comments

• Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've heard rumours that on the circuit back in the day he was known as 'The Gagpie', due to his habit of stealing material.

Lee Evans has a similar repuitation. I once saw him doing his version of Billy Connolly's 'why does pubic hair only grow to a certain length' routine.
  • Options
    AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Jack Whitehall has the stickiest fingers in comedy.
  • Options
    The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    Stole jokes or touched on subjects so obvious that many comedians have derived similar material?
  • Options
    mcghee76mcghee76 Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    If he is stealing jokes then he must be better at telling them than who orginally said them.
  • Options
    CRMCRM Posts: 11,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jimmy Carr is the master of this "art". It usually goes like this - comic sees Jimmy using one of their jokes on stage. Comedian gets in touch with Jimmy having a go at him, Jimmy sends them a cheque. He's notorious for it.

I'm more shocked that anyone would admit to owning a Peter Kay DVD or seeing him live. Having met him, I can also confirm that he's an immense ****.
  • Options
    Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked Peter Kay around the "Bolton Albert Halls" and Phoenix Nights time, but went off him more recently. He seems big-headed and immensely egotistical. I heard that a couple of his Phoenix Nights colleagues are no longer on speaking terms with him because he never acknowledged their hard work and he took all the credit for the writing and the series as a whole. Peter Kay really does have a reputation as being a right git in real life too.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched the new Peter Kay DVD this morning in the hope that it'd be alright and I found that not ten minutes in hes stealing jokes.

Trust me.... thats not news!:rolleyes:
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unigal07 wrote: »
    I liked Peter Kay around the "Bolton Albert Halls" and Phoenix Nights time, but went off him more recently. He seems big-headed and immensely egotistical. I heard that a couple of his Phoenix Nights colleagues are no longer on speaking terms with him because he never acknowledged their hard work and he took all the credit for the writing and the series as a whole. Peter Kay really does have a reputation as being a right git in real life too.

^^^^^^^^^^
    THis
  • Options
    somerset foxsomerset fox Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think the most bizarre thing is comedians 'tribute acts'. I saw one advertised last year for a Peter Kay one. I can appreciate a singer singing 'in the style of', but how does it work with a comedian? Does someone do Peter Kay routines, telling some of his jokes? How odd...
  • Options
    Big PoyBig Poy Posts: 7,485
    Forum Member

Which Jokes?
  • Options
    MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Again?
    He's well know for it
  • Options
    MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And Joe Pasquale, of course:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YE9Kthyaco
  • Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,210
    Forum Member
    CRM wrote: »
    Jimmy Carr is the master of this "art". It usually goes like this - comic sees Jimmy using one of their jokes on stage. Comedian gets in touch with Jimmy having a go at him, Jimmy sends them a cheque. He's notorious for it.

Sounds dubious to me. If you've been accused of stealing material - a situation which might get a bit legal-esque - the last thing on Earth you would do is send on a cheque for the material.
  • Options
    conchieconchie Posts: 14,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unigal07 wrote: »

I wonder if thats been resolved as there is going to be a Phoenix Nights movie !! Peter confirmed it recently, the gang are getting back together.... whether or not that means ALL the gang who knows. But they are all essential to the show really.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The rest of the gang are vital. The quality of his work from the second series of Phoenix Nights onwards fell away at an alarming rate.
  • Options
    SuperbeastSuperbeast Posts: 1,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stole jokes or touched on subjects so obvious that many comedians have derived similar material?

It's one thing to use the same idea but another to use the same gag completely. Bob Monkhouse riffed on a Bill Hicks routine but then developed the idea in his own way so it's excusable. Simply using the same joke as someone else, especially if it's a regular part of their act, is considered taboo in comedy circles. Then again, Peter Kay doesn't move in those circles anymore so he can get away with it now without being confronted at The Comedy Store by fellow comedians staring daggers at him or calling the person he's ripped off so they can come down and confront him themselves.
  • Options
    SuperbeastSuperbeast Posts: 1,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mcghee76 wrote: »
    If he is stealing jokes then he must be better at telling them than who orginally said them.

Please go back to school and learn some common sense. You cannot be serious.
  • Options
    BanditaBandita Posts: 3,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The guy was on the way to legend status but for me he has now arrested progression in that direction, he really has lost his way and become an unpleasant not very funny person.
  • Options
    The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    Superbeast wrote: »
    It's one thing to use the same idea but another to use the same gag completely. Bob Monkhouse riffed on a Bill Hicks routine but then developed the idea in his own way so it's excusable. Simply using the same joke as someone else, especially if it's a regular part of their act, is considered taboo in comedy circles. Then again, Peter Kay doesn't move in those circles anymore so he can get away with it now without being confronted at The Comedy Store by fellow comedians staring daggers at him or calling the person he's ripped off so they can come down and confront him themselves.
    I'd like to see the evidence before damning him, personally, I watched his latest standup two nights ago and didn't notice any directly stolen jokes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Peter is not funny in truth he is more use to nicking pies than jokes in all honesty.
  • Options
    MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather watch him tell them than Michael Mcintyre :)
  • Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    A lot of comedians "borrow" jokes, Russell Brand borrowed the "heroin, it's a bit moreish" joke from Harry Hill for example.
  • Options
    pegasus2pegasus2 Posts: 5,293
    Forum Member
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    A lot of comedians "borrow" jokes, Russell Brand borrowed the "heroin, it's a bit moreish" joke from Harry Hill for example.

Also written by Sam Bain and Jesse Armstrong for a line for Super Hans in Peep Show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    pegasus2 wrote: »
    Also written by Sam Bain and Jesse Armstrong for a line for Super Hans in Peep Show.

And Ricky Gervais in his Science stand-up but Harry Hill did it first.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    pegasus2 wrote: »

And Ricky Gervais in his Science stand-up but Harry Hill did it first (or possibly Matt Lucas/ David Walliams).

See what I mean about comedians "borrowing"?.