Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan's Dad wrote: »

Thanks for link. Have signed.
  • Ash_M1Ash_M1 Posts: 18,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Dan's Dad. I will sign it.

Altogether now: 'No ifs, no buts, no terrible tory cuts'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I thought I would include the following from the campaign because it draws together a lot of what I (and others) have said about the BBC, plus drawing attention to many other important issues:

"The Tory manifesto pledge to freeze the BBC licence fee for another 5 years will bring the greatest independent global broadcaster to its knees. Entire services will be cut, well-loved series dumped and thousands of jobs lost. We love the BBC and we won’t let it be killed off!

Why is this important?

Whatever you may think of Eastenders and W1A or whether you are for or against Top Gear, set all that aside and act now to defend ‘our cultural NHS’. As members of BECTU – the media and entertainment union – we are asking you to join us in saving the BBC.

Can you imagine a world without the BBC?

The BBC makes a rich range of programmes with something for everyone, from award winning dramas & documentaries to sit–coms & soaps. The BBC is watched and listened to by 96% of the UK population. Two thirds of all UK adults listen to BBC Radio and half of all UK adults use BBC Online each week.

It’s good value as the BBC licence fee costs under 40p per day (£145.50 a year) for 9 TV channels, 10 national radio stations, a network of local radio stations and an internationally acclaimed website as well as the internationally loved World Service.

The top packages from Sky, Virgin Media and TalkTalk cost more than £1,000 a year. The BBC produces thousands of hours of original programming while Sky, on an income nearly double that of the BBC, makes only a tiny amount.

Only on the BBC can children watch their favourite programmes uninterrupted by advertising. The BBC is free from shareholder pressure and advertiser influence with a mandate to make programmes for all interest groups.

The licence fee is the single biggest investment in UK arts and creative industries with over half spent in Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and the English Regions. Every £1 of licence fee spent by the BBC, generates £2 of economic activity.

BBC News is the largest broadcast news gathering operation in the world. The BBC is the public face of Britain abroad and has a weekly global audience of 308m.

The whole world wishes they had the BBC – you have it, don’t let them kill it off!"
  • FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Make it a paid subscription channel and see who buys it. I hope it gets cut massively.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    Signed And distributed :) Thanks for the link!!
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Make it a paid subscription channel and see who buys it. I hope it gets cut massively.

It'd do very well, it is the most popular broadcaster. would cost a lot more though, and the other pay TV broadcasters would be against it, so that's not going to happen
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not signing it, no way am I.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikw wrote: »
    It'd do very well, it is the most popular broadcaster. would cost a lot more though, and the other pay TV broadcasters would be against it, so that's not going to happen

Shortly followed by ITV, Ch4 and Ch5 of course...all behind paywalls. TV would become an elitist pasttime available only to those with deep pockets.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nah I'm alright thanks.

If I am going to be told to give more money to the government, I can think of a multitude of far more deserving entitles in the public sector than the bloated BBC.

I'd also rather see my money get spent on local issues (and the lack of investment here generally), rather than sending it off to London or Birmingham, Manchester. Cardiff, Glasgow or Belfast, never to be seen again
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Did you miss the points about how important it is to keep the BBC commercially / editorally independent?

The fact it only costs each household 40p a day?

The fact that as a nation, we would be creatively, culturally and economically poorer without it?
  • dave666dave666 Posts: 1,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i will not sign the bbc has nothing left i that interests me first F1 and now they messed up top gear. the tv extortion tax should be scrapped
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dave666 wrote: »
    i will not sign the bbc has nothing left i that interests me first F1 and now they messed up top gear. the tv extortion tax should be scrapped

What? I liked Tenko but they don't make that anymore. I liked David Tennant in Doctor Who, it isn't the same since he left. I hated BBC1's 2012 Christmas Ident! Perhaps they should be burned down and sent to the lions?

Do you realise the BBC is not just there for you? It is there so EVERYBODY can, from time to time, find SOMETHING they enjoy or might enjoy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    What? I liked Tenko but they don't make that anymore. I liked David Tennant in Doctor Who, it isn't the same since he left. I hated BBC1's 2012 Christmas Ident! Perhaps they should be burned down and sent to the lions?

Do you realise the BBC is not just there for you? It is there so EVERYBODY can, from time to time, find SOMETHING they enjoy or might enjoy.
    i am aware it is there for everyone but why should the people who don't watch it be forced to pay the tv tax. the bbc is nothing compared to what it was in the past
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Has new Top Gear started? When was it on? I must catch-up on it on the iPlayer.
  • ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i am aware it is there for everyone but why should the people who don't watch it be forced to pay the tv tax. the bbc is nothing compared to what it was in the past
    Okay so because they no longer show Civilisation or The Forsyte Saga you want to deprive a 1/3rd of the viewing public their service?
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    Not signing it, no way am I.

Perhaps yous should? At least with the current system you can opt out.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ohglobbits wrote: »
    Okay so because they no longer show Civilisation or The Forsyte Saga you want to deprive a 1/3rd of the viewing public their service?

it should be made a choice those who want it pay and those who don't should be free to watch other tv channels without paying for a biased overrated broadcaster
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ohglobbits wrote: »

A third? Well, as you pointed that out, it does actually change things. So, the Government has no mandate to govern on a third of the national vote (according to some), yet the BBC has a right to maintain its privileged position because the same number of people want it to? Well, what's good for the goose, is good for the gander. You can't have two thirds who oppose just having to put up or shut up can you? Not in ANY circumstance?

I am going to retract my signature.
    I jest of course! I actually think the UK would be poorer without the good old Beeb. It aint perfect, but it's miles better than any alternative.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Presumably you apply the same logic to all public services do you?
    Presumably you disagree with advertising too in that we have no choice as to whether we pay the 'advertising tax' or not?

I very rarely listen to BBC Radio, never listen to BBC local radio...rarely see content on BBC4, 3 or 2...I never watch BBC Childrens'. Should I still contribute to the funding of said services? Of course I should. I recognise the benefit of said services to the wider public. I also recognise the fact that the wider public are allowing me to see and hear programming that is of interest. Mate, we would have no country at all if we put 'self' ahead of 'society'.

How do you know there won't be content of interest to you on the BBC in the future?
  • onecitizenonecitizen Posts: 5,042
    Forum Member
    Let those of us who lost all respect for the biased BBC years ago be free of the discredited licence fee.
    Those uncritical devotees of the BBC can then pay for it by subscription.
    Seems fair.
  • ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it should be made a choice choice those who want it pay and those who don't should be free to watch other tv channels without paying for a biased overrated broadcaster
    Every developed ncountry has a public national broadcaster. The BBC is probably the most watched and well known PSB in the world, you have to have some sort of argument as to why a country gets rid of something that is still valued by most.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ash_M1 wrote: »
    Presumably you apply the same logic to all public services do you?
    Presumably you disagree with advertising too in that we have no choice as to whether we pay the 'advertising tax' or not?

I very rarely listen to BBC Radio, never listen to BBC local radio...rarely see content on BBC4, 3 or 2...I never watch BBC Childrens'. Should I still contribute to the funding of said services? Of course I should. I recognise the benefit of said services to the wider public. I also recognise the fact that the wider public are allowing me to see and hear programming that is of interest. Mate, we would have no country at all if we put 'self' ahead of 'society'.

How do you know there won't be content of interest to you on the BBC in the future?

the bbc is NOT vital people would survive without it the other public services are important.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    onecitizen wrote: »
    Let those of us who lost all respect for the biased BBC years ago be free of the discredited licence fee.
    Those uncritical devotees of the BBC can then pay for it by subscription.
    Seems fair.

For start, it isn't biased. Secondly, it isn't discredited.

I don't think it's fair to deprive the majority of the country from a service which the majority benefit from, value and enjoy just to please a tiny minority. Furthermore, give some thought to the many negative ramifications of what you suggest too.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ash_M1 wrote: »
    Thanks Dan's Dad. I will sign it.

Altogether now: 'No ifs, no buts, no terrible tory cuts'.

Ha that is good:D
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭