Options

Is It Really Hard To Get A Job Like Some People Say?

Comments

• Options
    Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The evil heartless b*****d that are in government keep telling us that theres 1000s and 1000s of jobs out there,

Technically they may be correct but by the time you take away jobs you can not to because you don't have the right skills or training and then the jobs are just too far away to get to.

And if you do not drive there's other jobs you cannot do some jobs say you need a car.
    And then there's jobs at so you need certain GCSEs and if you don't have them you cannot do that job.
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The evil heartless b*****d that are in government keep telling us that theres 1000s and 1000s of jobs out there,

Technically they may be correct but by the time you take away jobs you can not to because you don't have the right skills or training and then the jobs are just too far away to get to.

And if you do not drive there's other jobs you cannot do some jobs say you need a car.
    And then there's jobs at so you need certain GCSEs and if you don't have them you cannot do that job.

Have you considered upskilling?
  • Options
    Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    If you're willing to be paid less than minimum wage and do really, really long hours (60hr+ weeks) in really shitty jobs, possibly not that hard.

But I would say getting even a legitimate, stable, 40 hour a week, minimum wage job is harder than it ever has been.

It has nothing to do with determination or desire - there are simply too many unemployed and underemployed people, and too few real, decent jobs out there.

And by 'decent' all I mean is legitimate and 40 guaranteed hours paid at the minimum wage.

^ There's a lot of truth in this.

The number of companies making use of agency workers has grown massively in the last ten years. The reason is probably quite simple; flexibility. It's easy to expand and contract a workforce and there's not so much hassle with employee rights. However, the upshot is the massive explosion in zero hour contracts, lots of economic uncertainty and an awful lot of very good people becoming trapped in a cycle agency work because, as Hypnodisc says, there's no real jobs.

I see guys at 50yrs+ who have worked for firms for 10, 20 or 30 years now unable to get full time permanent work despite having knowledge and skills. I also know guys who have been made redundant by one firm that has then subcontracted the work out to another firm that then hires back the same guys via agencies and on minimum wage. These are fellas that were on £30,000+ a year with overtime reduced down to £14,000 and no job security.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    Have you considered upskilling?

And not everyone is capable of upskilling.
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    And not everyone is capable of upskilling.

That's just a pathetic excuse for laziness. Everybody is capable of learning new skills.
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    JB3 wrote: »
    Didn't take long for the usual ignorant post to appear.

Refugees are not allowed to work.

Any one know if refugees are allowed to sell the The Big Issue - thus opening the door of being self employed and claiming benefits.
  • Options
    EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    JulesF wrote: »
    That's just a pathetic excuse for laziness. Everybody is capable of learning new skills.

I disagree

I wasn't lazy at school but I did poor in exams asi just couldn't take anything in

When is came to essays or story writing for English though I was good
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cessna wrote: »
    Any one know if refugees are allowed to sell the The Big Issue - thus opening the door of being self employed and claiming benefits.

The big issue selling is not self employment
  • Options
    Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And if you do not drive there's other jobs you cannot do some jobs say you need a car. And then there's jobs at so you need certain GCSEs and if you don't have them you cannot do that job.

Transport is a big issue. There's lots of employers now operating 6-2/2-10 shifts that makes getting to and from work impossible by public transport. Cycling is an option but can easily add two hours to the working day which is probably already going to be a physically demanding job if it's at minimum wage.

On the skills issue though, basic GCSE qualifications really shouldn't pose too much of a barrier. My wife had to take GCSE Maths as an adult learner to progress in her current job. The course was 6 months long and based on just a couple of hours course work a week. She passed.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends on the person and what industry they work in. Some will find it very easy, others near impossible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well you do not live in the real world have you not heard of people with special needs.

I have been on many job centre training courses to try and improve my maths and English over the years and I never passed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I disagree

I wasn't lazy at school but I did poor in exams asi just couldn't take anything in

When is came to essays or story writing for English though I was good

I still maintain that everybody is capable of learning new things, at some level - even those who are intellectually disadvantaged. You don't need to be a Mensa member to learn new things. I'm not talking about degrees in astrophysics, but basic skills that can help with finding and keeping a job. It's defeatist and, yes, lazy to claim, 'Oh, I'm too thick to learn basic maths/how to drive/how to touch-type etc'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I still maintain that everybody is capable of learning new things, at some level - even those who are intellectually disadvantaged. You don't need to be a Mensa member to learn new things. I'm not talking about degrees in astrophysics, but basic skills that can help with finding and keeping a job. It's defeatist and, yes, lazy to claim, 'Oh, I'm too thick to learn basic maths/how to drive/how to touch-type etc'.

I'm not on about basic maths etc, I know all that
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    The big issue selling is not self employment

Unless the rules have changed then you should contact HMRC who are not aware of what is stated above.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

When I went on a job centre training course they gave me the type of massage I never did at school as it was a special school and we did only the most basic maths. A same with English.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well you do not live in the real world have you not heard of people with special needs.

I have been on many job centre training courses to try and improve my maths and English over the years and I never passed.

Well, you don't seem to have too much trouble writing more or less coherent sentences on here, so your English can't be all that bad. But there are many more practical skills you could learn in order to help you find a job. What about learning to drive?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you are fine until you hit 45..

Then you have got no hope...

I think a lot depends on the industry, age won't count against you in the security industry for example.
  • Options
    PlundermotPlundermot Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    When I went on a job centre training course they gave me the type of massage I never did at school

Saucy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I went on a job centre training course they gave me the type of massage I never did at school as it was a special school and we did only the most basic maths. A same with English.

You went on a massage course?
  • Options
    snukrsnukr Posts: 19,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FusionFury wrote: »
    So I hear so many times from some unemployed people how hard it is to get a job, but is it really that hard? I wouldn't know as I'm working currently.

Are they right in saying it is hard or is it a load of crap because they don't want to work? if you want a job you'll get one, surely?

What is the general opinion on jobs in this country?
    If you've got recent work experience then it's a lot easier than for somebody who hasn't worked for months or years.
    Some people aren't good at interviews or their CV may not be up to scratch, that can of course be improved.
    Agencies are a good way for many people to get work these days, though some of them try to exploit their workers.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Well, that's nice and all, well done you, but my post was directed at Steve's statement that not everyone can upskill, which I think is nonsense, so I'm not sure where you and your own skills come into it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, that's nice and all, well done you, but my post was directed at Steve's statement that not everyone can upskill, which I think is nonsense, so I'm not sure where you and your own skills come into it.

Well you were talking to me so pardon me for thinking you were talking about what I said
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, you don't seem to have too much trouble writing more or less coherent sentences on here, so your English can't be all that bad. But there are many more practical skills you could learn in order to help you find a job. What about learning to drive?

I don't think I could,
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    cessna wrote: »
    I know you are trying very hard to insist that refugees can and do claim benefits, but their status as refugees precludes them from doing so, because their status is that of 'refugee'.

Regardless of which benefit you think they are claiming.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't think I could,

Well, see, there's that defeatist attitude. You don't think you could, but how can you know until you try? Even if driving isn't something you take to, there is always something new you can learn, even if you feel like you are the biggest idiot in the world (which you are absolutely not, by the way.:)).