What TV?

!!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to renovate my living room and want to put in a flat TV. I watch mostly cable TV, with some DVDs.

However, I have the following concerns

- Plasma pictures, to my eyes, always look very soft with slight fuzzy ghosting.

- LCD pictures I think are brighter and more vivid, but the motion tracking on every large screen I've seen has been poor, resulting in 'jerky' movement like a flicker.

Is a projector system worth considering? Would I need to black out the room every time I wanted to watch?

Nothing I've seen can beat my excellent JVC CRT at the moment and it seems silly to take a retrograde step just to get rid of a cabinet....

Thoughts please??

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't assume all Plasmas and LCD's are equal.
    Cutting edge technology from the core manufacturers will always put the panels from rebadged suppliers in the shade.
    Also be aware that you rarely see a well set up and configured flat panel although hopefully with HD on the horizon that may change.

Never used a projector but for everyday use I can't see it being practical.

No doubt that a good CRT can still outperform (in some areas) a flat panel display but you have to decide if a light weight, shallow HD capable display meets more of your wish list than a big, heavy CRT.
    :)
  • !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I'm not too bothered about HD-TV. I'm not enough of a movie-buff to care if my cable picture is that good!

I've looked at lots of plasmas from different manufacturers in different showrooms and yes, some are better than others. It's still a very soft picture though.

LCDs so far are a complete no from me...
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    !!11oneone wrote:
    - LCD pictures I think are brighter and more vivid, but the motion tracking on every large screen I've seen has been poor, resulting in 'jerky' movement like a flicker.

When i was in Blackpool i saw an LCD tv they has displayed on the counter in Woolworths, and the picture quality was just amazing. I fell in love with the picture straight away, i just kept on staring at for about 30 seconds. It was a decent size, about a 20 inch one, well yeah okay, it might have just been fit for a bedroom maybe. I still loved the picture on it though. Haven't seen anything above a 20 inch LCD though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    !!11oneone wrote:

LCDs so far are a complete no from me...

I thought the same for a couple fo years before finally getting a LCD for my PC and quite frankly it dispelled all the doubts I had. Looked into a LCD for my main TV and not regretted it especially when playing HD streamed from my PC.

But the image a LCD produces has a different look to it than other technologies, if you don't like it you don't like it:)

The latest DLP's are not too bulky and a few can be wall hung and in a slightly longer time frame the next gen SED and OLED displays may be a solution.
  • !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LCDs are fine on a smaller screen, I just thing that about 24 inches and you really notice the slow response time on fast images.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    !!11oneone wrote:
    LCDs are fine on a smaller screen, I just thing that about 24 inches and you really notice the slow response time on fast images.

Which is why you buy the latest models from the manufacturers who are actually doing the R&D not from the companies who sell old technology.

No real complaints (even with footy) on my 32" Philips LCD and that technology will be on my list for a full 42"plus 1920*1080 panel in the near future.

I'm more than satisfied that the technology is sound but I expect it's not for you:)