Options

Push button toilet flush not flushing

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a respartex panel and I think it is seated on top of the shelf. I know it does not extend down beyond the shelf, so more than likely it rests on top of it. I can check the photo diary I took when the work was being done.

So, lets assume it's the button, which is easier to get at, and tell me, how do I fix that? At the very least, I can try and fix that and if it doesn't work, then it's tear the bathroom apart time.

Thanks for all your help Seacam, you're being very patient with me.
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lime Green wrote: »
    It's a respartex panel and I think it is seated on top of the shelf. I know it does not extend down beyond the shelf, so more than likely it rests on top of it. I can check the photo diary I took when the work was being done.

So, lets assume it's the button, which is easier to get at, and tell me, how do I fix that? At the very least, I can try and fix that and if it doesn't work, then it's tear the bathroom apart time.

Thanks for all your help Seacam, you're being very patient with me.

Not at all and your welcome. :)

That' what I'm saying Lime, in this instance you can't fix button,bellows, which ever, ( there is no room ), with out either removing the shelf or disconnecting the pan and removing the cistern, the internals need to be got at.

Can you do this? if so I will take you through the repair/replacement procedure of the part/s.

Who ever does it the bathroom doesn't need to be torn apart Lime, honest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seacam wrote: »
    Not at all and your welcome. :)

Who ever does it the bathroom doesn't need to be torn apart Lime, honest.

That's reassuring, thanks. I'll maybe pick your brains again tomorrow later on. Strikes me as a bit daft to fit the toilet tank so close to the shelf that it has to be taken apart to have a look at it. But it doesn't surprise me after all the bother we have had already with the joinery part of the bathroom remodel. I don't think there's one thing they did right. *sigh*

Btw, the button push is actually mounted on the part of the front panel which pops off to show the top of the toilet tank. You can see it resting upside down on top of a yellow towel in the last of the photos I posted, so the button part is the one and only easy to get at parts of the whole assembly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's reassuring, thanks. I'll maybe pick your brains again tomorrow later on. Strikes me as a bit daft to fit the toilet tank so close to the shelf that it has to be taken apart to have a look at it. But it doesn't surprise me after all the bother we have had already with the joinery part of the bathroom remodel. I don't think there's one thing they did right. *sigh*

Btw, the button push is actually mounted on the part of the front panel which pops off to show the top of the toilet tank. You can see it resting upside down on top of a yellow towel in the last of the photos I posted, so the button part is the one and only easy to get at parts of the whole assembly.

Hi Lime,

Welcome to the world of aesthetics, I would make some architects live in the properties they design or designers use some of the stuff they dream up when it come to the maintenance side of things.

Sorry I had my Fluid Master hat on, I meant to write Bellows and/or Float.

The button is the easiest thing to change, when you press it, is there any resistance behind it, does it feel the same way as when it was new.

The button is a straight forward replacement, 10 minutes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 329
    Forum Member
    seacam wrote: »
    Hi Lime,

Welcome to the world of aesthetics, I would make some architects live in the properties they design or designers use some of the stuff they dream up when it come to the maintenance side of things.

Sorry I had my Fluid Master hat on, I meant to write Bellows and/or Float.

The button is the easiest thing to change, when you press it, is there any resistance behind it, does it feel the same way as when it was new.

The button is a straight forward replacement, 10 minutes.

If OP can flush the toilet by blowing in the tube it would suggest the bellows thingy is working fine.

I'm with Seacam, it's more than likely the flush button.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The button doesn't have as much resistance as it did when new, so I really do think it is the button. We can make it flush by pushing multiple times, so we're putting up with that for the moment.

When I feel a little braver I shall take the button to bits and see if I can effect a repair. I'm a great believer in the restorative properties of duck tape - it's all that is holding the waste pipe in the kitchen together.

Seacam and kev and all, thank you so much for your help.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 329
    Forum Member
    The button doesn't have as much resistance as it did when new, so I really do think it is the button. We can make it flush by pushing multiple times, so we're putting up with that for the moment.

When I feel a little braver I shall take the button to bits and see if I can effect a repair. I'm a great believer in the restorative properties of duck tape - it's all that is holding the waste pipe in the kitchen together.

Now I'm not an expert on toilets but I do like to potter with broken stuff (especially the kids' dolls!) .......... not knowing what's in the guts of the button I couldn't offer an accurate solution, but I suspect it may be a small set of bellows which may be holed or split - if it is, a quick effective repair could be one of those thin, self-adhesive peel-off bicycle inner tube repair patches which are compliant enough to be shaped into the bellows.
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are easy to unscrew, then lift it out and re-screw it back in until it flushes okay.

Don't pay a fortune for a plumber just yet, simple to fix.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hi Lime,

Posible then the return spring on the button has compressed to much, remove if possible, stretch a tad, reassemble and try, that or a new button.

Good Luck. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I can do that, if I can get the darned thing unscrewed. Might have to ask one of the blokes from upstairs to do it. But I think I'm up to stretching the spring or patching an inner tube. Yes, I do believe I can fix it, thanks guys!