Handing in notice nerves

allthatyouwantallthatyouwant Posts: 1,381
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Am I being completely stupid or is handing your notice in incredibly nervewracking? I am.in a position now where I may have to make a decision which could leave the place I work for short staffed, I naturally feel guilty but is this part and parcel of retail?

Comments

• MikeJWMikeJW Posts: 3,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good for you for caring about what happens next. I guess it must be a decent place to work?

But, you have to put yourself first, because no-one else will. If you feel it's right for you to go, take a deep breath, and do it.
  • DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    By moving on you're creating an opportunity for someone else to join that company, so I wouldn't feel bad about it. Retail's used to their attrition rate.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is nerve-wracking but so long as you give them the correct notice period as stated in your contract then you've nothing to feel bad about. It's a credit to you that you are concerned about leaving your former colleagues short-handed but what else can you do? You could offer a longer notice period but I doubt your new employer (assuming there is one) would be too happy about that. I certainly wouldn't recommend messing your new employer around for the benefit of your old one.

There are many people who don't fulfill their notice periods. I always find that quite shabby behavior.

In my experience handing in your notice is never as bad as you think it will be and once you've done it, it will feel like a huge weight lifted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    Am I being completely stupid or is handing your notice in incredibly nervewracking? I am.in a position now where I may have to make a decision which could leave the place I work for short staffed,

I don't blame you (and I'm not having a go at you but in my own experience of working when there're staff shortages, I don't hang on or do an extra/two hours for people can't be bothered to turn up without phoning or turn up late. I'vr told my team mangers this). Some people might be glad of the extra time. I understand you feeling a bit guilty if there's a big delivery and nobody else on the shopfloor or things're running late (these things happen and it's not the staff or managers' fault, I know).
    One one occasion I went round the back and stood behind one of the bosses who was telling the relief boss to ask me to stay until seven so I told her I'd help out. and she didn't even know I was there.

But on my own experience, Inwas very nearly forced out (and for some reason known only to the bastards at head office, the boss only found out from me {long story]) as I received a letter telling me I could be made redundant (the using bastards got away with it). So for the early part of the year I very very nearly walked out a few times or when I was walking up I had to stop for a few minutes and try and force myself to keep going.
  • CANDYANGELCANDYANGEL Posts: 21,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was so nervous handing in my notice mainly cos I was worried how my bullying manager would react but she was actually ok & helped me sort notice letter out cos I wasn't sure on notice period & I was so so happy once I'd done it. Best thing I've done & only wish I'd have done it sooner but obv had to wait til I had secured employment somewhere else :)
  • allthatyouwantallthatyouwant Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am in a managers position and another manager has handed his notice in this week too effectively losing a layer in the company. However I have always been very accommodating by coming in early, staying hours later unpaid and coming in on my only days off. If possible I am going to stay for a month instead of my required 1week whikst we are busy for tour de france
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    I am in a managers position and another manager has handed his notice in this week too effectively losing a layer in the company. However I have always been very accommodating by coming in early, staying hours later unpaid. If possible I am going to stay for a month instead of my required 1week whikst we are busy for tour de france

Who d'you work for?
  • Mark1974Mark1974 Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I being completely stupid or is handing your notice in incredibly nervewracking? I am.in a position now where I may have to make a decision which could leave the place I work for short staffed, I naturally feel guilty but is this part and parcel of retail?

I'm looking for a job and live 50 minutes from York.

Job done!
  • MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to find it terrifying when I was in my first couple of jobs. I half expected them to start shouting at me, and I imagine it's similar to how I'd feel if I had to fire someone. But in the end they were both very understanding, they know that people move on to bigger and better things, especially if you're in a fairly junior position.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I resigned from my job on Monday and over the weekend I was getting really nervous about doing it. I think it is worse if you like your manager and enjoy working for them. In the end my manager was really good about it and said he knew I had to move on in order to progress with my career. Looking back, I think the nerves were because I didn't want to let him down but I now realise that if I had changed my mind and decided to stay, I would have been letting myself down more.