Options

BBC2 The Honourable Woman Thursdays from July 3rd

Comments

• Options
    HarkAtHerHarkAtHer Posts: 2,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree there's possibly more than meets the eye with the father-murder-flashback scene. The two children looked cowed in his presence and completely blank when he was stabbed in front of them, though you could say that was shock. But later we saw Nessa looking fondly at old film footage of her father - was it a different man?

Maggie G's English accent was impressive, but made me think of someone balanced precariously on very high heels - as if she focused so much on that that it drained the rest of her performance. There again, she has reason to be traumatised and paranoid, so the glacial serenity thing suits her character.

Enjoying this so far. But if we get to 10 minutes from the end in the last episode and nothing is getting resolved, as seems to be the vogue for British telly dramas at the moment... there will be fuming!
  • Options
    Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    Fwiw, I’ve looked at this again and it is now making more sense.

Key is Kasim; in several subtle ways we are being pointed in the direction of his mother being Nesse (not Atika). She was abducted 8 years ago, his conception seems to comfortably fit with that. Nesse’s choice of a hard bed and no bedding hints at Stockholm Syndrome. Consequently, we are left to wonder whether it was rape or consensual.

Nesse, Atika and brother Ephra have a secret – known by Eve Best from MI6; I think the secret is Kasim’s parentage.

The overarching theme seems to be itentity and who can you trust. To that end we have an Irish Baronet, a British born Israeli (Nesse), Schlmo – an apparent Israeli citizen who is dismissive of camel riding Arabs yet is caught donating money to Hizbollah, and we potentially have a half Jew, half Palestinian child called Kasim.

Interestingly, it seems MI6 may have had something to do with rescuing Nessa in Gaza. She doesn't know about that but brother Ephra does. It may be that Atika brought Kasim out afterwards. But that's me speculating wildly.

Don't see any confusion about the deceased father and his two children; it is as described.

Driving the drama forward - the context - is the two crimes (the flagpole murder/suicide (Hugh's last case), and the kidnapping of Kasim). Within that framework is a whole bunch of ideas.
  • Options
    suesuesuesuesuesue Posts: 16,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^ this
    Excellently put. Felt sure Atika wasn't the birth mother of Kasim and most likely raising him secretly for her friend Nessa. Unsure whether her brother and sister in law know the score.

I could listen to MG speaking in an English accent all day long :)
  • Options
    shya100shya100 Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Kasim is Nessa's child. I don't think the brother knows.

What I do want to know is why he stepped down from running the family business eight years ago. Did he do a deal to rescue Nessa with MI6 - as in he may have been more...ahem.... militant and Nessa a softer more lets build world peace option.
  • Options
    TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thoroughly enjoyed the first episode, but slightly disappointed with the second episode. Some good stuff, but it seemed a bit disjointed and a bit of a filler episode.
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still enjoying the HW, but find it confusing with all the FBI and CIA stuff.

Not sure who's who :p
  • Options
    ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    I'm still enjoying the HW, but find it confusing with all the FBI and CIA stuff.

Me too..I am having a job following some of it..
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TCD1975 wrote: »
    I thoroughly enjoyed the first episode, but slightly disappointed with the second episode. Some good stuff, but it seemed a bit disjointed and a bit of a filler episode.

I'm the opposite, I really enjoy the security services shenanigans this episode as I find the extended family bores to be honest.
  • Options
    saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think this may be intended? 'Who can you trust?' and all.
  • Options
    TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    I really enjoy the security services shenanigans this episode

Yeah, the middle section was great, but the first 25 minutes and last 15 minutes were quite confusing and just a little bit boring IMHO.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most of it was quite boring apart from the middle.
  • Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with everyone who has said that the secret must be that Nessa is Kasim's mother, but I just can't think of any explanation for why they would pretend that Atika was. But I suppose we'll find out by the end of the series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    catsitter wrote: »
    I agree with everyone who has said that the secret must be that Nessa is Kasim's mother, but I just can't think of any explanation for why they would pretend that Atika was. But I suppose we'll find out by the end of the series.

Because then the Israeli's would think she was not on their side because she had a Palestinian child. It is alright that she likes the Palestinians... she is still Israeli. Maybe she was raped and letting that secret out would shut down any chance of peace.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But why would she have cared whose side the Israelis thought she was on eight years ago? Ephra was still running the company then? Anyway, I would have thought that her child would be more important to her than whose side the Israelis thought she was on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    catsitter wrote: »
    But why would she have cared whose side the Israelis thought she was on eight years ago? Ephra was still running the company then? Anyway, I would have thought that her child would be more important to her than whose side the Israelis thought she was on.

The prize for a nation - Aiaka's *sp voice in the credits. I think she puts everything aside for her job. To be honest we don't know what is going on or why anything happened... yet.
  • Options
    GatehouseGatehouse Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    Love it so far. I'm a big fan of Hugo Blick and Stephen Rea as my username indicates, so I was never likely to be disappointed given that! He'd have certainly enlivened the David Hare spy drama, whereas Bill Nighy kinda sent me to sleep.

Hugh is an entertaining character who shares a lot of characteristics with Alec Guinness's Smiley, perhaps inevitably. He used the old Smiley interrogation trick of peering over, then slowly taking off, his glasses with the FBI agent and he shares Smiley's messy love life. And he's on the way out, in the way that Smiley starts out as outside the loop in "Tinker..". He's not as "cool" as Smiley, much more shambling, stripey socks and all, and is more fallible, but has some similar old-school spy mannerisms and modus operandi. Given that I think Rea is perfect for this sort of role and I'm sympathetic to such sorts of character's, he's enough alone for me to keep watching and loving this. Best line? "What's the going rate for an ageing penis these days?" :D

Nessa, Atika and Kasim are where the real mystery lies. Obviously what we haven't seen from "eight years ago" will explain rather a lot. There aren't many clues so far from the flashback scenes or the photo-dossier that Julia lends to Hugh-at best there might be a hint there that Nessa is the child's mother, but it's totally inconclusive. Nessa took over from Ephra as the head of the family business "eight years ago" as well, so that's probably no coincidence.

I do think that Atika knew that something was going to happen in Ep 1 when she told Kassim "not to be afraid" before they went to the show-and that Ephra is clearly oblivious to that from his reassurances. Plus she doesn't quite show the normal kind of grief/panic that I'd expect of a mother in those circumstances: sure, she's already been shown to be a strong character, but no mother would stay so calm when her son's been abducted (assuming that he is her son rather than Nessa's, which I just about think he is at this stage. Probably). At the very least she was already fearing for Kassim's security when he went missing at the dinner, and his abduction is almost certainly connected to the incident eight years ago; along side Nessa's "sleeping cell" and security concerns, they've seemingly been living in fear of something else happening. But why now? Because Nessa awarded the contract to the guy who was promptly bumped-off? Has she gone against orders? In which case, Nessa and Atika surely knew that there would be consequences of that and had been bracing themselves for it.

I have no real idea what the "hook" is going to be, but expect that Nessa (and Atika?) are somehow being manipulated as a result of their own kidnapping shown in the flashback: by either the Palestinian's, the Israeli's, or even the American and/or British government and MI6. Why is she not really an "honourable woman"? All will no doubt be slowly revealed over the remaining 6 episodes! Maybe it's some kind of elaborate, nonsensical Israeli state pension swindle? :D

Ephra is intriguing. He was concerned at Monica's introducing herself to Nessa, to which Monica says something like "your family has needed our help before (busting them out eight years ago I assume?) and might do again". He know's Atika's "secret" and promises to keep it, with a "quick" bit of sex to seal the deal. And he is "glad to be alive", according to his prayer at the end. Hmm, lots more to come from him, no doubt...

My favourite part of the second episode was probably the FBI agent storyline. You just knew that she was doomed, but the way that the tension built to the clinical climax was classic Blick! So from that section, can we take it that Monica is working fully alongside the FBI-and thus against Hugo and his (un)official MI6 line? She did after all help to wipe her out-I'd assume taking out the taxi driver was part of the "clean up" approved by the American's.

Julia's angle is the most interesting, shaking the American general's hand, seemingly going along with Monica despite there being clear tensions between them, and ultimately helping Hugh out with the dossier on Nessa and telling him that he should investigate regardless of the "hands-off" warnings-because it's the right thing to do, I think, although she could easily cut all ties with the "lame duck" Hugh if suspected of assisting or approving of his investigation. She's my favourite character so far alongside Hugh-and probably the smartest of the lot.

Good to see another tussle between Eve Best and Stephen Rea a la The Shadow Line. I wonder who will win this time?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gatehouse wrote: »
    My favourite part of the second episode was probably the FBI agent storyline. You just knew that she was doomed, but the way that the tension built to the clinical climax was classic Blick! So from that section, can we take it that Monica is working fully alongside the FBI-and thus against Hugo and his (un)official MI6 line? She did after all help to wipe her out-I'd assume taking out the taxi driver was part of the "clean up" approved by the American's.

Thanks, that reminds me - I was confused about whether Tracy was CIA or FBI. When she phoned for help, they asked her if she was using a "Company phone" which would suggest CIA, but her documentation said FBI. CIA would make a lot more sense, though, wouldn't it?
  • Options
    saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, when Hugh was looking through the dossier, and went back to the photo of Atika holding the baby with Nessa looking on, did it look as if Atika was still pregnant, ie the baby wasn't hers?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saralund wrote: »
    So, when Hugh was looking through the dossier, and went back to the photo of Atika holding the baby with Nessa looking on, did it look as if Atika was still pregnant, ie the baby wasn't hers?

I had to double check, It does look as if she is. The side photo of her holding the baby shows what could be a bump considering Atika is fairly slim.
    Hugh certainly noticed something.

We'll spotted if true.:) but where is Atica's baby and who is the father of the other baby?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Double post
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I loved how at the exact moment of penetration on the kitchen table, it quickly cut to the security guy shouting "Get IN! In one!" at his tv video game. Very good, Mr Blick :)

I'm still digesting this hour ....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    Andy-B wrote: »
    I loved how at the exact moment of penetration on the kitchen table, it quickly cut to the security guy shouting "Get IN! In one!" at his tv video game. Very good, Mr Blick :)

I'm still digesting this hour ....

That was great and the show is complex, requiring lots of patience. The Guardian has a good weekly recap on the show and for once the comment section is full of ideas and hints, even some translation of Hebrew.

It's one of the best things airing right now. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    HotSeatSue wrote: »
    That was great and the show is complex, requiring lots of patience. The Guardian has a good weekly recap on the show and for once the comment section is full of ideas and hints, even some translation of Hebrew.

It's one of the best things airing right now. :)

That's where I got the "I'm glad to be alive" translation from. Invaluable info ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member

Just had another look and yes, you're right: it's largely obscured by the child in her arms that she is holding close to her, but there is a clear pregger's bump there when you look closely! Thank God for iplayer.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Good shout!

Just when you think you have Blick's cornered, he sneaks out again.