Claire Balding, why is she on everything?

Comments

• ToenToen Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She is a woman. Most sport experts on BBC are women. Who let that Linekar chap in?
    Token Englishman.
  • shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clare Balding - super lesbian.
  • JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Since when does a presenter or interviewer have to follow whatever the interviewee does?

It gives them insights so it's not terribly dull.
  • StylesStyles Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She is vile, felt so sorry for that jockey who had just won the Grand national and she brought him down to earth by asking him if he was now going to get his bad teeth fixed.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Styles wrote: »
    She is vile, felt so sorry for that jockey who had just won the Grand national and she brought him down to earth by asking him if he was now going to get his bad teeth fixed.

I can't remember now but did he complain, I thought it was mainly the tabloids that made a fuss about it. It could even be a long running joke with her knowing most people in racing.
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She thinks she's the nations spokesperson, I remember after the 2012 Olympics when the xfactor came on she was harping on about how the public see it in a different light like the contestants hadn't work hard to be there
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,924
    Forum Member
    She's just very good, that's why she's on everything.

Whatever she covers she's clued up on the specifics, knows the competitor's records, achievements etc. She has a very calm yet probing way of getting the best out of interviewees. Even the most verbally challenged seem relaxed and ready to open up to her.

Compare that with the hapless Gary Lineker and the ham-fisted way he questioned panellists last night.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Jefferson wrote: »
    It gives them insights so it's not terribly dull.
    No, that's what research does.
  • victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lineker and Balding again at the Commonwealth.
  • johnanjohnan Posts: 3,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find her knowledgable but patronising, and not very attractive in personality or looks, so I can not answer the question "why is she on everything".
    Beats me.
  • earlofbedlamearlofbedlam Posts: 335
    Forum Member
    On her website it is quoted "If a man jumps in the river during the Boat Race, you want Clare in charge". So she's now a lifeguard... her talents are endless..
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's one of the best presenters around and very talented at what she does - she's clued up and very passionate and enthusiastic about what she does, without being over the top.
    Forum Member
    I bet the tabloids are always looking for "dirt" on her. That's their mentality. Look what happened to Frank Bough. He was every bit as good a presenter as Ms Balding..
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    victor mel wrote: »
    Lineker and Balding again at the Commonwealth.

Good. The best in the business.

Who would you prefer? Ant and Dec?
  • MoleskinMoleskin Posts: 3,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lineker's not that good at the football never mind other sports.
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised she is doing the live coverage and Tonight at the Games, rather than just one of them. what's happened to Gabby Logan?
  • SnakeGuySnakeGuy Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    victor mel wrote: »
    She was also presenting on the recent Open golf tournament but only for a day then strangely disappeared.

Maybe she copped off with the tee- lady ;)
  • SnakeGuySnakeGuy Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    Styles wrote: »

She's clearly spent far too much time in the company of Kay Burley :)
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Claire's great! She really won me over (not that I had any real dislike for her) when the Beeb had her fronting their Rugby League coverage. Her enjoyment and enthusiasm for a sport that was new to her was very refreshing to see.

And I think she secretly fancies Sir Kevin Sinfield a tiny bit. But then, so do myself and a lot of other Leeds fans.....
    Forum Member
    I accept her as a good, not great, presenter but cannot understand her being classed as a "national treasure" Who decided that?
  • TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Box ticking by the Beeb, to a large extent. Not pleasing on the eye whatsoever, but good at what she does. Reminds me of Sandra, one of the Fat Slags, from Viz.
    :D
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On her website it is quoted "If a man jumps in the river during the Boat Race, you want Clare in charge". So she's now a lifeguard... her talents are endless..

We need to know the context of the quote but it could refer to her being the right person to deal with something unexpected like that. Some commentators would be thrown completely but I think she would have the experience to handle it well.
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TrebleKing wrote: »
    Box ticking by the Beeb, to a large extent. Not pleasing on the eye whatsoever, but good at what she does. Reminds me of Sandra, one of the Fat Slags, from Viz.
    :D

And how are things back in the Stone Age?
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    And how are things back in the Stone Age?

Had to laugh at that, must admit I can't stand the woman.
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    We need to know the context of the quote but it could refer to her being the right person to deal with something unexpected like that. Some commentators would be thrown completely but I think she would have the experience to handle it well.

I mentioned it very tongue in cheek. There's always one irritating fart isnt there.