Is the new series worth watching?

dvrkfiredvrkfire Posts: 106
Forum Member
[DISCLAIMER: As an American viewer of the British version of The X Factor, my views often contradict and clash with others. This is not intended to offend anyone in any way, but to simply pose a new point of discussion.]

That being said, as a loyal X Factor viewer year after year, 2016 could wind up being the first year that I don't watch the show. Here's a little break down of my personal pros/cons.

PROS:
Nicole is back
As one of the most popular judges from her stint on The X Factor USA as well as her two years on the UK version of the show, Nicole proved downright amazing for live TV as well as from the mentoring side of things. Her return promises a new dynamic on the show.

Dermot is back
Dermot's departure was probably the most controversial change to last year's lineup, with Olly and Caroline receiving a quite a lot of backlash from the show's launch right up until the live final. It seemed like only the right thing to do, and the producers have really made the right decision by bringing him back.

The Six Chair Challenge is back
While most despise this cutthroat aspect of the show, I relish the colosseum-esque feel of that stage of the competition. In addition, seeing as that all members of the panel have already been through the process (Nicole and Sharon once, and Louis and Simon twice) it shouldn't be nearly as nerve-racking for the judges.

CONS:
Cheryl is gone
Arguably the most prolific judge on the show after Simon himself, Cheryl has defined the show and its trajectory in her own way. Serving as a judge during the "Golden Age" from 2008-2010, along with the highly-publicized stint in the US, and her triumphant return to the UK show in 2014, Cheryl has captured the hearts of millions of viewers from her unique mentoring style to her omnipresent banter with Simon. It's unclear as to whether or not she'll be returning as an executive producer on the show, but her presence on the panel will be sorely missed.

Rita and Nick are gone
As two controversial appointments at the expense of Mel B and Louis Walsh in 2015, the two newbies on the panel received heavy criticism, especially in the case of Nick. However, I think that the two (especially Rita) gave the show a fresh face and invigorated the panel to heights never seen before in the arenas (more on that later). Even though little can be said about their mentoring skills (especially Rita, who at a given point couldn't remember the names of her own acts) they still proved great on the entertainment aspect of the show.

Sharon and Louis are back
With the return of Sharon and Louis, this series is feeling more and more like a throwback to 2013 (admittedly my favorite series to date, but nevertheless a mistake in 2016). I share the sentiments of many in saying that Louis is absolutely useless on the panel and terrible as a mentor, but nevertheless entertaining each Saturday night. On the other hand, while Sharon shone in 2013, it doesn't exactly look like she wants to be here this series, based on recent comments in interviews. Out with the new, in with the old, I suppose.

The arenas are gone, the rooms are back
For me, the arena auditions were the defining moment of the last series, making up for the lackluster live shows (compared to 2014). For me, the rooms simply do not do the auditionees and their songs justice, forcing them to sing almost the same kind of quiet ballads. Could you have imagined seeing artists such as Olly Murs, Jamie Archer, Danyl Johnson, Cher Lloyd, Misha B, Ella Henderson, 4th Impact, and Seann Miley Moore being forced to audition as they did on stage inside a room? Look to YouTube for the justification behind this: out of all of the auditions with over 14M views, 22 are arena auditions, while only 2 are room auditions, showing the popularity of the arenas and how they bring out the best in each artist.

The color scheme
This series is seeming increasingly like a throwback...but now to 2004-2006 based on the "vintage" color scheme. After the refreshing blue/white of 2013, pink/purple of 2014, and red/orange of 2015, this new red/blue combo looks hideous. In my opinion, the outdated color scheme matches with the outdated judging panel.

Rochelle and Melvin are gone
While many The X Factor viewers ignore the aftershow, The Xtra Factor is one of my favorite parts of the show each week. Rochelle and Melvin gave The Xtra Factor a much needed refresh from the bumbling Konnie Huq in 2010 and Sarah-Jane Crawford in 2014, bringing a new fun element to the show ensuring that even if I dozed through the weekly episode of The X Factor, I would be sure to tune into The Xtra Factor right afterward.

I'm interested in hearing all of your constructive opinions in regards to this year's show! Again, everything above simply reflects my own personal opinions and is not intended to offend anyone in any way.

Comments

• Germany1988Germany1988 Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    Thanks for opening this thread and for your first Impressions. I still agree in a lot of points.

But in some I have other opinions. I'm happy the room auditions are back and the arena is gone. I was so over about them. For me the room is more honest as the arena which I think is a good change. This double audition thing with room and arenas where a OK Addition for season 10 but it didn't worked over more seasons. So I'm happy they don't do that this year.

The judging Panel is shit for me. Sharon and Louis had there time on the show. They should be part of the past. I thaugth that James Blunt would be the perfect judge for the show. Current, succesful and with experience at the XF Au where he was great in my opinion. I'm not quite sure about Nicole. On the one hand she is great to watch like Cheryl for lot of years, but I hope she isn't saying "shamazing" every single week.

The logo of this years season in his retro look is much much better than from last year season. For me that one last year didn't work. The Color scheme was awful.

The six chair challenge was one of the best bits last year from the whole competition. That sounds crazy for me becuse I didn't like scripted TV that much and it was obvious where it was scripted (the max stone thing f.e.) Hopefully they reduce it this year a bit but with the public in charge I haven't got high hopes.

After all I'm not quite sure if this season is worth to watch. My biggest issue is the return of Sharon and Louis. I can't stand them. In a weird way with all these changes and comebacks it's feel more like a farewell season to me. I will definitely tune in, also because we don't have XF in Germany at the Moment, but I'm still not sure yet if I will watch the whole season like last year.
  • Dan RDan R Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheryl, Rita and Nick quitting is a bad thing? Really? They were about as exciting as the colour beige. And Cheryl was never executive producer, they probably told her that just to uphold her ego.
  • cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    Thanks for opening this thread and for your first Impressions. I still agree in a lot of points.

But in some I have other opinions. I'm happy the room auditions are back and the arena is gone. I was so over about them. For me the room is more honest as the arena which I think is a good change. This double audition thing with room and arenas where a OK Addition for season 10 but it didn't worked over more seasons. So I'm happy they don't do that this year.

The judging Panel is shit for me. Sharon and Louis had there time on the show. They should be part of the past. I thaugth that James Blunt would be the perfect judge for the show. Current, succesful and with experience at the XF Au where he was great in my opinion. I'm not quite sure about Nicole. On the one hand she is great to watch like Cheryl for lot of years, but I hope she isn't saying "shamazing" every single week.

The logo of this years season in his retro look is much much better than from last year season. For me that one last year didn't work. The Color scheme was awful.

The six chair challenge was one of the best bits last year from the whole competition. That sounds crazy for me becuse I didn't like scripted TV that much and it was obvious where it was scripted (the max stone thing f.e.) Hopefully they reduce it this year a bit but with the public in charge I haven't got high hopes.

After all I'm not quite sure if this season is worth to watch. My biggest issue is the return of Sharon and Louis. I can't stand them. In a weird way with all these changes and comebacks it's feel more like a farewell season to me. I will definitely tune in, also because we don't have XF in Germany at the Moment, but I'm still not sure yet if I will watch the whole season like last year.

I know that the word "current" gets bandied about an awful lot on the XF forum, and I think it's becoming a bit of a cliché....!

I've nothing against James Blunt, he's written some great songs, but I don't think being successful or "current" for the judging panel really matters.......as you forgot to put something about being "entertaining" and "tv friendly" which I feel James Blunt isn't!

Do you really think that as much as he's been successful, he's got the type of personality that will go down well on sat night tele?? And could enthrall the audience, be enjoyable to watch, and make people tune back in??

I don't think that anyone actually watches the XF because they believe they're about to witness Englands Next Big Thing.............I just think they watch it because it's entertaining and from August to Christmas it does personify a great deal "Saturday Night Televisión".
  • JohnStannardJohnStannard Posts: 7,649
    Forum Member
    I think it could be the best for a few years I will be watching
  • drakhendrakhen Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My short answer is no. From what I've seen and read so far, they haven't learned anything from previous years and will be going down the "fun" and tacky route. I'll watch the first episode with low expectations.
  • mariestellermariesteller Posts: 969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This year might be one of the best series ever since 2012/2013 XF, it's quite a dated panel, but last year's younger demographic targeted panel didn't actually work and a dated panel might be what the show needs with its very dated format.
  • Harrison_FisherHarrison_Fisher Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    cas1977 wrote: »
    I know that the word "current" gets bandied about an awful lot on the XF forum, and I think it's becoming a bit of a cliché....!

I've nothing against James Blunt, he's written some great songs, but I don't think being successful or "current" for the judging panel really matters.......as you forgot to put something about being "entertaining" and "tv friendly" which I feel James Blunt isn't!

Do you really think that as much as he's been successful, he's got the type of personality that will go down well on sat night tele?? And could enthrall the audience, be enjoyable to watch, and make people tune back in??

I don't think that anyone actually watches the XF because they believe they're about to witness Englands Next Big Thing.............I just think they watch it because it's entertaining and from August to Christmas it does personify a great deal "Saturday Night Televisión".

James Blunt is an entertaining person for TV. He has an excellent and clever sense of humour.
  • mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    not having a go at the OP but threads like this to me are examples of what has gone wrong with the show

what will make me decide if the show is worth watching is the quality of the contestants

all this focus on who the judges are and them making the show "fun" or not should be a secondary issue
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The OP is right it's generally only on this forum are room auditions popular and they always give the show a rather dated feel.

The viewing figures will fall even faller this year to their lowest ever , if you hated ballads and dated songs with the old panel they will be back x10