slugs in yer garden after it rains

odz1odz1 Posts: 1,940
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I just went out back for a smoke and has been pissin down all day. To my amazement I saw the biggest, fattest slug chompin away at dead leaves off my plants. This was like a super slug a monster it reminded me of one of those creatures out of the film tremors.

I was tempted to put slug pellets out but couldn't bring myself to do it. It was beaut of a slug and deserved to live.

Comments

• cliffcollinscliffcollins Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    keep us updated :D
  • The screamThe scream Posts: 2,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aww that is kind of you,
    I try not to kill them either so if i see them anywhere near my veg patch i pick them off and sling them over the backs on to the garden at the back as her garden is like a fooking jungle for 'em I tell thee!
  • sub4ux4sub4ux4 Posts: 1,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    torch and a hammer job .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sub4ux4 wrote: »
    torch and a hammer job .

mmm thats an idea, but instead of a hammer would a Taser do?
  • sub4ux4sub4ux4 Posts: 1,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The scream wrote: »
    mmm thats an idea, but instead of a hammer would a Taser do?

id do it for free .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sub4ux4 wrote: »
    id do it for free .

Right, yer on!
  • Andy CarltonAndy Carlton Posts: 4,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course they deserve to live....they were here before humans...and they will be here AFTER humans and WE have no moral rights in the world to kill them.

If I see slugs and snails of which are in danger - i pick them up and move them to safety. If I see trapped moths or spiders...I will put them outside or remove them to safety.

No human being has moral rights to kill animals of any kind. How would WE like it if some giant bird or dinasour came up to US and killed our relatives/kids etc... for no reason?

This is what is wrong with society....we were the last species on earth....yet we attempt to 'rule the roost' where animals are concerned and killing them is seemingly ok...whearas animals were the FIRST species on earth and the have more rights than humans IMO.

Just my initial thoughts....
  • BigfeetBigfeet Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    odz1 wrote: »
    I just went out back for a smoke and has been pissin down all day. To my amazement I saw the biggest, fattest slug chompin away at dead leaves off my plants. This was like a super slug a monster it reminded me of one of those creatures out of the film tremors.

I was tempted to put slug pellets out but couldn't bring myself to do it. It was beaut of a slug and deserved to live.

I was in my parents' back garden a few nights ago after a rainy day and couldn't believe the amount of slugs out there on the lawn, mostly around the sandstone bird bath where there is a lot of ivy (not sure if that has anything to do with it).

There must have been about eighty to one hundred of them, great big fat slugs - and all of them had disappeared when I checked the following morning :confused: .
  • EmpiricalEmpirical Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All life is welcome in my garden. I don't kill anything that doesn't pose a threat.
  • Andy CarltonAndy Carlton Posts: 4,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Empirical wrote: »
    All life is welcome in my garden. I don't kill anything that doesn't pose a threat.

But on your profile...you state that you destroy hair straightners?(electric or on legs type?)

:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But on your profile...you state that you destroy hair straightners?(electric or on legs type?)

Um What kind of animalia is a "hair straighter?"? :confused: :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Um What kind of animalia is a "hair straighter?"? :confused: :eek:
    Any living creature that makes your hair stand on end?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slipstreem wrote: »

That never happens except in comic books.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That never happens except in comic books.
    I'm sure a cat being fired past you from a cannon at sufficient velocity with enough balloons in tow could create the static charge necessary.
  • BigfeetBigfeet Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slipstreem wrote: »

I'd never heard that turn of phrase before :D .
  • scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slugs!
    they're all alcoholics I tell ya ?

Put a saucer of Beer out for them at night It'll be full of em the next morning.

What a way to go :D
  • HarryValleyHarryValley Posts: 16,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slugs!
    they're all alcoholics I tell ya ?

Put a saucer of Beer out for them at night It'll be full of em the next morning.

What a way to go :D
    Very true, they love it
  • cliffcollinscliffcollins Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    you know i heard if you put a slug on a rollercoaster it wont wanna get off :D

sorry i just made my self laugh

• duckapluckduckapluck Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course they deserve to live....they were here before humans...and they will be here AFTER humans and WE have no moral rights in the world to kill them.

If I see slugs and snails of which are in danger - i pick them up and move them to safety. If I see trapped moths or spiders...I will put them outside or remove them to safety.

No human being has moral rights to kill animals of any kind. How would WE like it if some giant bird or dinasour came up to US and killed our relatives/kids etc... for no reason?

This is what is wrong with society....we were the last species on earth....yet we attempt to 'rule the roost' where animals are concerned and killing them is seemingly ok...whearas animals were the FIRST species on earth and the have more rights than humans IMO.

Just my initial thoughts....

Do you even try to grow your own veg or flowers? I just started growing veg and cannot explain how bad i felt coming out one day to find slugs had had a sunday dinner on my plants, never mind kindness kill em with lots of salt xxx