Options

Alex Crawford ! What is taking this woman out to Syria

conchieconchie Posts: 14,052
Forum Member
✭✭
Just looking at Sky News now and the latest dramatic footage of Alex Crawford trying to avoid getting her head taken off by a sniper who had them trapped in a building.

Someone tell me .... what on earth makes a mother of small children put themselves into this ridiculous situation on an ongoing basis.

I can imagine the onslaught of ... oh if it was a man would the same thing be said ... but seriously.....does she put reporting on a war in Syria above her responsibility to be there for her children and see them grow up. And on the man argument.... if the man was father of young children, I would be saying the exact same thing.

Would these families prefer them home and reporting the latest strike somewhere, or getting that phone call that ... guess what... this time the sniper didn't miss !

Comments

• Options
    kaiserbeekaiserbee Posts: 4,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parents work. Some times parents do dangerous work.

That's what happens in a free society where individuals choose their own career path.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i can just imagine how proud her family are of her
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    Her coverage of the Libyan uprising was absolutely incredible. Hopefully Sky are paying her a lot of money.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    conchie wrote: »
    Just looking at Sky News now and the latest dramatic footage of Alex Crawford trying to avoid getting her head taken off by a sniper who had them trapped in a building.

Someone tell me .... what on earth makes a mother of small children put themselves into this ridiculous situation on an ongoing basis.

I can imagine the onslaught of ... oh if it was a man would the same thing be said ... but seriously.....does she put reporting on a war in Syria above her responsibility to be there for her children and see them grow up. And on the man argument.... if the man was father of young children, I would be saying the exact same thing.

Would these families prefer them home and reporting the latest strike somewhere, or getting that phone call that ... guess what... this time the sniper didn't miss !

It's her job, she is very good at it and if she wants to keep her position then she does not really get to pick and choose and keep only the safe bits. And she will have of course a desire to report the truth from such situations and I would imagine whilst her family worry for her they would not wish her to stop doing what she does, she is one of the people who lets us see and know what is actually happening and without them it would be like going back to WW2 where you only see what the powers that be want you to see.
  • Options
    bbnutnutbbnutnut Posts: 1,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    conchie wrote: »

Some jobs are dangerous. Being a parent can change some people's idea of their job and others just want to carry on doing what they love.

Alex Crawford has a passion for her work, her husband gave up his job to care for the children. It's no different to the other way around.

Their children aren't toddlers, they are aged 9 to 16 now and she's managed to survive so far.

I wouldn't choose to put myself in danger but we're all different and some people love the adrenalin rush of a job that puts them in perilous situations. Some people have a particular talent and a drive to do good - be it war reporting, bomb disposal, army, police etc. If all firefiighters, soldiers and police officers gave up their jobs as soon as they became parents it would be rather odd.
  • Options
    christina83christina83 Posts: 11,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I admire her work. I wish I was as courageous as her.