James May Man Lab Thursday - setting up offshore pirate radio

MikeBrMikeBr Posts: 7,886
Forum Member
James May's Man Lab, 8 p.m. Thursday BBC Two includes "Man Lab sets sail and goes live with its very own pirate radio station."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01s0zm1

Comments

• CraigSteele2001CraigSteele2001 Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Won't this programme show novice people how to set up their own pirate station? Surely the BBC cleared the idea with Ofcom
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    Is this the return of the Big L lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An i-Trip in a dinghy?
  • -ajm--ajm- Posts: 5,879
    Forum Member
    Will it be anything like when Top Gear did those amphibious cars?

Joking I am. :D
  • StereRoweStereRowe Posts: 1,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The pic on the website looks like he's on a river!!!
  • JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    Won't this programme show novice people how to set up their own pirate station? Surely the BBC cleared the idea with Ofcom

I doubt that the BBC will do anything to encourage pirate radio. This is the broadcaster who did a feature in the 1980s about Radio Caroline (on a later post Bob Harris edition of OGWT IIRC) and told us all that it ended completely when the MOA was passed.
    Caroline, at the time was still blasting away on medium wave ;)
  • moordown66moordown66 Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It'll probably be fun to watch
  • 6262 Posts: 295
    Forum Member
    I've seen various listings which say 'pirate radio station' but none that use the word 'offshore'.

The 2 things are not synonymous!
  • MikeBrMikeBr Posts: 7,886
    Forum Member
    62 wrote: »
    I've seen various listings which say 'pirate radio station' but none that use the word 'offshore'.

The 2 things are not synonymous!

Setting sail appears to be accurate.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's just about to start on BBC2 fellow radio folks. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So basically it was an RSL in Milton Keynes with a 3G link to a narrowboat studio on the canal..
  • JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    Is there a more dire boring TV programme available anywhere at the moment ? :yawn:

I dare say those involved enjoyed themselves, not sure about the poor old viewers though.
  • LaurelandHardyLaurelandHardy Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice photos of the Ross Revenge and the Communicator though.
  • MikeBrMikeBr Posts: 7,886
    Forum Member
    Nice photos of the Ross Revenge and the Communicator though.

Checking Twitter the original date for Radio ManLab to broadcast was August 14 last year but it got delayed at last minute, don't know if the date had been chosen because of the MOA anniversary.
  • CraigSteele2001CraigSteele2001 Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.wiredbroadcast.com/downloads/James%20Mays%20Canal%20Trip%20RSL.pdf

Interesting 2 page document that says what equipment was used for the broadcast, and about the broadcast itself
  • tezenistezenis Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    Is there a more "natural" TV presenter than James May. I've never met him but I imagine he is 100% the same as he is on the telly. Seems like a thoroughly likeable person.

Love the show too.
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    tezenis wrote: »
    Is there a more "natural" TV presenter than James May. I've never met him but I imagine he is 100% the same as he is on the telly. Seems like a thoroughly likeable person.

Love the show too.

Me too, he's just really natural. Friend of mine has met him a few times, says he's just the same.

He makes Science and technology fun and accessible.
  • iceolaiceola Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that true that for every minute of silence on a radio station they can potentially get fined 25K ?
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    isnt this ileagal
  • PhilHPhilH Posts: 2,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    isnt this ileagal

They made it quite clear on the programme that they had obtained a license.

I think they were using the term 'pirate' to mean 'radio station on a boat'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iceola wrote: »
    Is that true that for every minute of silence on a radio station they can potentially get fined 25K ?

What about Radio 3? :p
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iceola wrote: »

I don't think so, no.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PhilH wrote: »
    I think they were using the term 'pirate' to mean 'radio station on a boat'.
    Although I'm not sure how many pirates have used barges on the Grand Union canal in Milton Keynes..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bowland37 wrote: »
    Although I'm not sure how many pirates have used barges on the Grand Union canal in Milton Keynes..

Quite.
  • ahall41116ahall41116 Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    http://www.wiredbroadcast.com/downloads/James%20Mays%20Canal%20Trip%20RSL.pdf

Interesting 2 page document that says what equipment was used for the broadcast, and about the broadcast itself

When I did my rsl for hospital radio danum (Doncaster) 20 years ago (cripes) there was a 10m height restriction on the antenna, which prevented us putting our transmitter on the roof of the 15 floor hospital building.

Has this been removed from rsl licenses now?