The Trip - Italy - utter tripe

Comments

• RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woodentop wrote: »
    Just can't watch Steve Coogan without waiting to spot a Partridge expression, or mannerism. He is stuck with it and should be proud that it's led to being able to persuade the BBC to part with the monies and send him and his mate on a jolly to Italy!

With repect, I think you've missed the whole point. We are supposed to think it's the BBC (or The Observer) sending them off on a jolly, but in fact it's just a cleverly constructed comedy series. Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon aren't "being themselves" they are playing charicatures of themselves. As a comedy series I doubt that it's expensive to make, no sets, no props, just a crew on the road. It's also been well received around the world. so they will have recouped any money spent several times over.
    Regardless of whether anyone finds it funny or not, I think the concept is very interesting and possibly unique. It's different to the "structured reality" shows, but there are similarities.
    I can see why people find it confusing, it confused me to begin with. The part fact, part fiction of their lives, coupled with apparently genuine restaurant critique was puzzling. But after watching a few episodes, I thought it was brilliant.

Interesting preview of the forthcoming series from The Guardian...

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2014/jan/18/steve-coogan-rob-brydon-trip-to-italy
  • TheGrumpWizardTheGrumpWizard Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ian hyland wrote: »
    The first series was superb. From what I've seen so far, the second could turn out to be equally impressive.
    People who moan "it's just impressions" are perhaps missing the point.
    Could you explain exactly what made the first series such a critical success please?
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A load of self-indulgent unfunny twaddle. I'd rather stick my head in a pan of boiling fat than watch it.

Just witnessed the TV trailer. and it's the same old back-patting smug comedy from Brydon and Coogan.

Not the Micheal Caine impressions again? Jeez, give it a rest. Coogan and Brydon are probably the worst comedy actors on the planet.

How the BBC ever commissioned this pile of stinking dog poo I will never know. It's about as funny as tooth ache.

Well, that's them told then isn't it? The BBC might as well pull the show from the schedules now you've been rude about a short trailer.

I take it that you have a track record of creating successful, popular and critically acclaimed comedy? Just wondering, seeing as you seem to have pronounced judgement so comprehensively over something you've not even seen?

Incidentally, I've a pan of boiling fat ready here, if you're ready?
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adams66 wrote: »
    Well, that's them told then isn't it? The BBC might as well pull the show from the schedules now you've been rude about a short trailer.

I take it that you have a track record of creating successful, popular and critically acclaimed comedy? Just wondering, seeing as you seem to have pronounced judgement so comprehensively over something you've not even seen?

Incidentally, I've a pan of boiling fat ready here, if you're ready?

fight, fight fight.......:D:D:D;-)
  • thomscnthomscn Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could you explain exactly what made the first series such a critical success please?

How about, you watch a TV programme, and at the end of it, you say to yourself "I really enjoyed that" rather than bore people by dissecting every aspect of the programme and then bore everyone else with your thoughts and observations ...you either like something or you don't. I suppose the last series must have had enough viewers in order for a second series to be commissioned....it ain't rocket science
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, as I don't watch much live telly these days and haven't seen the trailer, found this thread useful as a heads up. Must admit when I saw the thread title I thought....hang on, have I missed something here? No. Phew. It's not started yet!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thomscn wrote: »
    How about, you watch a TV programme, and at the end of it, you say to yourself "I really enjoyed that" rather than bore people by dissecting every aspect of the programme and then bore everyone else with your thoughts and observations ...you either like something or you don't. I suppose the last series must have had enough viewers in order for a second series to be commissioned....it ain't rocket science
    :D Dear God. What a complete roaster.
  • PretzelPretzel Posts: 7,858
    Forum Member
    Well, as I don't watch much live telly these days and haven't seen the trailer, found this thread useful as a heads up. Must admit when I saw the thread title I thought....hang on, have I missed something here? No. Phew. It's not started yet!

Same here. I'm actually quite pleased, because I thought I had missed it.

I can see how it's not appealing to everyone, but it amused me.

I still can't watch historical films and dramas without listening out for 'We rise at daybreak' ..;-)
  • thomscnthomscn Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D Dear God. What a complete roaster.

Is that statement supposed to make any sense...WTF :confused:
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretzel wrote: »
    Same here. I'm actually quite pleased, because I thought I had missed it.

I can see how it's not appealing to everyone, but it amused me.

I still can't watch historical films and dramas without listening out for 'We rise at daybreak' ..;-)

That clip shows up what's good and bad about "The Trip". It starts off hilariously, but it goes on too long.

I'll still watch it though, for the many flashes of genius - and the scenery. :)
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It`s a genius idea when you think about it. It works as a travelogue for folks who like the scenery, a food show for the foodies and comedy for the Partridge fans. So many demographics covered in one 30 minute show!
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Extreme Measures...with Trevor Eve...Friday at 9...on BBC1... :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That clip shows up what's good and bad about "The Trip". It starts off hilariously, but it goes on too long.

I'll still watch it though, for the many flashes of genius - and the scenery. :)
    Agree it went on too long but personally wouldn't class it as hilarious. It was funny but was also the kind of thing you'd hear in many a bar after a few beers. Certainly not award winning, cutting edge humour.

I was surprised to see the viewing figures for series 1 when I was looking for something else...
    2.300 million (10.3%)
    1.539 million (7.5%)
    1.35 million (6.5%)
    1.199 million (5.6%)
    1.234 million (5.6%)
    1.077 million (5%)

Apart from one week, a steady decline as the weeks went on ending with less than half the viewers it started with. Looks like it was appreciated a lot more by the critics than the general public. Would a second series of a programme normally be commissioned after such poor figures?
  • WoodentopWoodentop Posts: 3,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With repect, I think you've missed the whole point. We are supposed to think it's the BBC (or The Observer) sending them off on a jolly, but in fact it's just a cleverly constructed comedy series. Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon aren't "being themselves" they are playing charicatures of themselves. As a comedy series I doubt that it's expensive to make, no sets, no props, just a crew on the road. It's also been well received around the world. so they will have recouped any money spent several times over.
    Regardless of whether anyone finds it funny or not, I think the concept is very interesting and possibly unique. It's different to the "structured reality" shows, but there are similarities.
    I can see why people find it confusing, it confused me to begin with. The part fact, part fiction of their lives, coupled with apparently genuine restaurant critique was puzzling. But after watching a few episodes, I thought it was brilliant.

Interesting preview of the forthcoming series from The Guardian...

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2014/jan/18/steve-coogan-rob-brydon-trip-to-italy

With respect, I fully understood the series was not them just having a cosy chat as themselves and it was clear that it was very much scripted reality. My point was that the interest in the two, or perhaps Coogan moreso, has led to this series, that on the whole is of little interest to the many, but still has been produced.

It's clever in that much of what they often say of each other in other media, is played out in this and clearly used to maintain the comedic interests of each.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woodentop wrote: »
    My point was that the interest in the two, or perhaps Coogan moreso, has led to this series, that on the whole is of little interest to the many, but still has been produced.

It was Michael Winterbottom who pushed this series forward after seeing them spark off each other during A Cock and Bull Story. Both Coogan and Brydon were initially reluctant but it seems both they, and the BBC, trusted MW enough and were proven right. It`s won awards and Coogan is on fire at the moment after Philomena so I`m betting everyone involved is deservedly patting themselves on the back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    everyone involved is deservedly patting themselves on the back.
    I get the impression that was the main purpose of making it.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there's an interview in this week's radio times with Coogan and he does come across as a bit of a t!t . in the last few times I've seen him he keeps going on about trying to get away from comedy .

I do hope this new series comments on some of his appearances for Hacked-off , there was one on Newsnight where he got angry and he turned into Partridge - desperately trying to construct a clever put-down on the spot .
  • KMKYWAPKMKYWAP Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blind Corner with Trevor Eve, Friday at 9, BBC ONE.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KMKYWAP wrote: »
    Blind Corner with Trevor Eve, Friday at 9, BBC ONE.

....... huh ? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Papal Blessing with Trevor Eve, Friday at 9, BBC ONE.
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Its a quote from the first series - Rob and/or Steve did an impersonation of the BBC1 continuity announcer announcing/advertising it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frown Upon A Nail with Trevor Eve, Friday at 9, BBC ONE.
  • mattwmattw Posts: 1,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thomscn wrote: »
    How about, you watch a TV programme, and at the end of it, you say to yourself "I really enjoyed that"

Agreed with that measure. Personally I really enjoyed the whole of series 1 of the trip and am really looking forward to series 2.

For those who query why it's been commissioned for a second series, many people loved it. For those of us who loved it, we have to admit that many people didn't enjoy it and viewing figures were okay, but far from great.

But to be fair, I just don't get the way people seem to really hate things they don't like (and feel the need to tell everyone else they don't like it) - just turn over!
  • FuturespectFuturespect Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yeah, I was half-tempted to edit the first series into a sixty-minute programme. I felt its nonlinear, scene-by-scene nature was really asking for it.

Two extended bits stood out for inclusion: the limestone and the graveyard.
  • rachelgatarachelgata Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just adding my voice to those who are looking forward to this series. I enjoyed the first one a lot; it was something so completely ridiculous on paper, yet it worked (IMO) and you can't say there was anything else like it on TV. Seems pretty obvious to me though that you have to find Coogan and Brydon funny to appreciate it at all. As far as I and my other half are concerned though, there are no limits on how many times these two can try to outdo each other with the Caine or Corbett. :D

The only reservation I have about this series is that I don't know Italy at all, and a big part of the fun of the first series for me was spotting the places in the North of England that I know personally.