Options

Is running and jogging too much stress on the body?

ZimmieZimmie Posts: 1,244
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Given the recent death of Rik Mayall, what is the point of running, this death follows on from other deaths like Leonard Rossitier, and didn't the founder of jogging drop dead after a run in 1982.

Comments

• Options
    O-JO-J Posts: 18,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't Rik die from a Seizure?

Running Is great, its beneficial for most things, but can't prevent everything!
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My OH was a keen long distance runner for years. He now has completely shot knees as a result!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    Jogging was founded?
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benbenalen wrote: »
    Didn't Rik die from a Seizure?

Running Is great, its beneficial for most things, but can't prevent everything!

His wife has said he suffered "an acute cardiac event" following his morning run.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/comedy/comedy-news/10895535/Rik-Mayall-had-heart-attack-after-morning-run-says-wife.html
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GeoBa92 wrote: »
    Jogging was founded?

Yep, Jim Fixx is the chap.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Fixx

I was thinking the same as the OP today when I heard about Rik Mayall and also journalist/commentator and former Olympic athlete Martin Gillingham who keeled over with a heart attack at the weekend while on a running machine but luckily survived.

http://www.sportsjournalists.co.uk/other-bodies/rugby-writers/england-rugby-staff-on-hand-as-commentator-collapsed/
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pheidippides is stirring in his urn.
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,198
    Forum Member
    I started running when I retired 13 years ago, and last year I completed the London Marathon.

At 77 I am still running and am not going to waste my time worrying if I might drop down dead.

Better to go like that than end up dribbling in an old folks home. :p
  • Options
    1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Several people I know who used to run have dodgy ankles and/or knees from the constant impact so I'm not a fan of it myself but if you're talking about heart problems or seizures I expect any kind of exercise could cause them if you were prone to that kind of thing.
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I started running when I retired 13 years ago, and last year I completed the London Marathon.

At 77 I am still running and am not going to waste my time worrying if I might drop down dead.

Better to go like that than end up dribbling in an old folks home. :p

Is your username your real name or a character from a film made in 1944? If so, that's brilliant :)
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    I find running a jarring and unpleasant experience; the constant impact of it can't be that healthy.

I far prefer swimming which not only burns calories but also is excellent for whole-body toning and core strength.
    Also very little impact on joints.
  • Options
    victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Better to run on grass or towpaths.
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,198
    Forum Member
    Is your username your real name or a character from a film made in 1944? If so, that's brilliant :)

Yes, it's from THAT film, just about the greatest film noir of all time. I was going to call myself Phyllis Dietrichson, but I thought that it would cause confusion. :D

I recognise your name too, great performances from de Niro and Jerry Lewis.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it's from THAT film, just about the greatest film noir of all time. I was going to call myself Phyllis Dietrichson, but I thought that it would cause confusion. :D

I recognise your name too, great performances from de Niro and Jerry Lewis.

A great film indeed. :cool::cool: ........... Phyllis Dietrichson is a great name.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    I find running a jarring and unpleasant experience; the constant impact of it can't be that healthy.

I far prefer swimming which not only burns calories but also is excellent for whole-body toning and core strength.
    Also very little impact on joints.

Swimming is the best and most sensible exercise ever! :D
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure a brisk walk is probably more sensible than jogging, but I'm too impatient for walking and I don't get the same high I get from a run. So I reckon I'll keep going until I can go no more.
  • Options
    GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMO yes it is.

Humans are not a million miles removed from cavemen / hunter gatherers.

Humans aren't quick runners, in the animal world, most animals will easily out run us. So we had to set traps, we didn't try and catch things running.

Running would have been unnecessary for humans unless running away from predators or trying to catch something quickly. It was not necessary to jog anywhere. I think we're built for endurance more than speed.

A heart is like an engine, if you redline it all of the time, it could fail eventually.

Impact to joints and bones and cause pain in later life.

Each to their own though I doubt they worry about it, and TBH, neither do I; I hate running but I cycle to work and quite often don't even wear a helmet (gasps!).

They are healthier than fat people who will probably have heart failure from their weight and poor diet.

For me though, I used to run, I was not great, not terrible, but I hated it. I rarely ever see anyone who looks like they enjoy it and certainly the people at work who run happily admit its not enjoyable.

I'll continue with my regimen of walking, cycling and a few weights. I see no need to do anything more.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    victor mel wrote: »
    Better to run on grass or towpaths.

The towpaths in my area are road surfaces, so I can't see how it would be any different to running on the roads.

GeordiePaul I can't say I agree with that assessment of it not being enjoyable, I know plenty who thoroughly enjoy it. (I'm in the middle)
  • Options
    KarlSomethingKarlSomething Posts: 3,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMO yes it is.

Humans aren't quick runners, in the animal world, most animals will easily out run us. So we had to set traps, we didn't try and catch things running.

Humans are efficient long distance runners.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=826HMLoiE_o

Edit: And personally, I would recommend anything but running on asphalt/concrete.
  • Options
    BrotherDanielBrotherDaniel Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stress on the bones and joints over a long period is not a good idea.
  • Options
    Marc_Anthony1Marc_Anthony1 Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. It's bad for the knees and joints. Too much pressure on them.
  • Options
    Marc_Anthony1Marc_Anthony1 Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IMO yes it is.

Running would have been unnecessary for humans unless running away from predators or trying to catch something quickly. It was not necessary to jog anywhere. I think we're built for endurance more than speed.

A heart is like an engine, if you redline it all of the time, it could fail eventually.

Impact to joints and bones and cause pain in later life.

Each to their own though I doubt they worry about it, and TBH, neither do I; I hate running but I cycle to work and quite often don't even wear a helmet (gasps!).

They are healthier than fat people who will probably have heart failure from their weight and poor diet.

For me though, I used to run, I was not great, not terrible, but I hated it. I rarely ever see anyone who looks like they enjoy it and certainly the people at work who run happily admit its not enjoyable.

I'll continue with my regimen of walking, cycling and a few weights. I see no need to do anything more.

I agree with this. Apart from I despise the word 'regimen' I mean what kind of word is that?! It's regime isn't it? I see long distance running as unnatural and too stressful for the legs.
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dad has run for 50 years he is 68 and his knees are knackered.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not only is frequent long distance running bad for the joints, but it also burns muscle and slows down the metabolism.
  • Options
    Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I much prefer to eat fewer calories, made up of foods high in nutrients, and do as much walking/general movement as I can during the day, and thus don't bother with any regimented exercise. I've often wondered what counter-benefit there might be to running etc further on in life. My personal view of gyms is that they're only useful for muscle-training, as one should be able to work a reasonable amount of cardiovascular effort into a 'normal' day if they try. But that's just me, and I'm no scientist :blush:
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    I agree with this. Apart from I despise the word 'regimen' I mean what kind of word is that?! It's regime isn't it? I see long distance running as unnatural and too stressful for the legs.

It's regimen.A regimen is a plan, a regulated course such as a diet, exercise or medical treatment, designed to give a positive result.