How long does Vodaphone normally take unlocking iphones?

Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,353
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Yes another iphone thread :p

So i bought a mates iphone 5S off him but its locked to Vodaphone, so he put the unlock request in via the website and paid the £20 etc. Whats the normal time for it to take? it was done last night about 10-10:30pm.

It does say ''up to 48hrs'', but just wondered what other peoples experiences were, was it less than 48hrs, was it bang on 48hrs or more than 48hrs?

As you can tell i cant wait to put my Three sim card in it and start using it :D

Comments

• JustinThePubJustinThePub Posts: 3,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It took them a couple of days when I did mine late last year.
  • Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok cheers mate, so theres a chance it ''may'' not be done today, but i hope it is
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,605
    Forum Member
    Lidtop2013 wrote: »
    Ok cheers mate, so theres a chance it ''may'' not be done today, but i hope it is

Unlocking team don't work weekends.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would think they mean 2 working days. I wouldn't expect them to do it on a Sunday. I may be wrong of course. Mine was on a business contract which may be different as well. They do have to go through the same palaver with Apple though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d123 wrote: »
    Unlocking team don't work weekends.

oh damn!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kmusgrave wrote: »
    I would think they mean 2 working days. I wouldn't expect them to do it on a Sunday. I may be wrong of course. Mine was on a business contract which may be different as well. They do have to go through the same palaver with Apple though.

Your both correct, ive just been on the livechat on Voda website, he said the 48hrs is referring to working days
  • PuckyPucky Posts: 4,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    48 hours - I've just contacted Three to get my old S3 unlocked and they've said it could take up to 7 days. But they do it for free so I suppose I can't complain too much!!
  • Arenas52Arenas52 Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    Orange took 48 DAYS to unlock mine so hopefully Vodafone are a bit quicker!!
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arenas52 wrote: »
    Orange took 48 DAYS to unlock mine so hopefully Vodafone are a bit quicker!!

T-Mobile/EE took a working day arrange an unlock with Apple for my wife's 4S.

Filled in the on-line form Sunday afternoon, SMS confirming they were processing at 13:00hrs Monday, e-mail confirmation received at 19:00hrs that evening. I don't know how quickly Apple updated their database, but I tried an O2 SIM in the phone the following weekend, and after asking me to confirm Apple u/n and p/w it burst into action.
  • Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    Did this about a month ago, they managed to do it in 2 days or so. Very fast and prompt.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aye Up wrote: »
    Did this about a month ago, they managed to do it in 2 days or so. Very fast and prompt.

Was that Voda mate?

Looking promising for a quick unlock then :)
  • iGeek2014iGeek2014 Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did this myself the other week.

Took around three working days from form submission to unlocking.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iGeek2014 wrote: »
    Did this myself the other week.

Took around three working days from form submission to unlocking.

Brilliant thanks

Couple more question, can i go ahead and put my Three sim in the phone BEFORE its unlocked, or is it best to keep the Voda sim in(the carrier its locked to) until its done? i wouldnt have thought it makes a difference would it?

And i also just wondered, if a phone is a contract phone, can someone(i.e NOT the person who took out the contract) put in a PAYG sim from the same network the phone is on, and request an unlock using that sim? or would it require the original owner who took out the contract to request it?
  • dslrocksdslrocks Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    I would keep the Voda sim in the phone, as the other sim won't function until the phone until they physically submit it.
  • iGeek2014iGeek2014 Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant thanks

Couple more question, can i go ahead and put my Three sim in the phone BEFORE its unlocked, or is it best to keep the Voda sim in(the carrier its locked to) until its done? i wouldnt have thought it makes a difference would it?

And i also just wondered, if a phone is a contract phone, can someone(i.e NOT the person who took out the contract) put in a PAYG sim from the same network the phone is on, and request an unlock using that sim? or would it require the original owner who took out the contract to request it?

In answer to your first question you'll get an email from them when the phone is unlocked.

After that you can put a new SIM in and it'll go through the basic initial set up and work aOK.

The original owner would need to submit the request to get the handset unlocked.
  • gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully it won't be long I waited two months for them to unlock my note 3 and gave up and got a firm to unlock it instead. It is ridiculous people have to wait that long as expected they blamed Samsung for the delay.
  • sethpetsethpet Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    I think with most modern phones, the networks have to request the unlock from the manufacturer.

Certainly the case with iPhones and i think Samsungs too, so could be that the delay was down to Samsung
  • jclock66jclock66 Posts: 2,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three unlocked my iPhone in two days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well they took the money from my credit at lunch time today, does that mean it will be unlocked pretty soon then? I've connected the phone to iTunes and it's not unlocking yet.

I won't get an email as my mate put the request in and I can't expect him to keep checking his email every 5mins for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it unlocked yet?
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Well they took the money from my credit at lunch time today, does that mean it will be unlocked pretty soon then? I've connected the phone to iTunes and it's not unlocking yet.
    You no longer need to connect to iTunes - the phone can do it itself if it has WiFi!

You DO need to put another network's SIM into it to cause it to try and reactivate.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BKM wrote: »
    You no longer need to connect to iTunes - the phone can do it itself if it has WiFi!

You DO need to put another network's SIM into it to cause it to try and reactivate.

Yes, I seem to remember when I did mine that (despite their instructions) nothing happened when I connected to itunes but it unlocked when I put my three sim in.
  • garroshgarrosh Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    when i got my iphone 5s it was locked to vodasmack, I brought a payasyou go sim and topped £20 on it and filled out the online form for the unlock request, few days later i had a email saying that they can not unlock the phone as i am not the original owner and the imei is on another account.

I really thought i was stuffed not being able to unlock the phone, but while trawling through ebay i found a seller who offers factory unlocks for £20 i was skeptical about trying it out but i had nothing to lose so took the gamble and brought the unlock, I had to provide my imei number to them and they processed it. around 5 days later i had a email saying my iphone was unlocked and i needed to put in another networks sim and connect it to itunes to complete the unlock process, slaped in my 3sim and did itunes

BANG !!!! she was unlocked

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111240468034?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kmusgrave wrote: »
    Is it unlocked yet?

Yes thanks mate, it is indeed unlocked now, as soon as I got home from work and had my dinner the Three sim was straight in the phone, happy days :D

And yes I didn't use iTunes, just put the 3 sim in and the phone did the rest. So good not having to deal with iTunes anymore!