Options

On average how many shows do Networks keep on the shelf?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 222
Forum Member
And is this wide spread in Broadcasting Ie radio and other countries, mainly USA?

Comments

• Options
    cliffcollinscliffcollins Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    i doubt anyone would be able to give you an exact answer
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 222
    Forum Member
    somebody may know though ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What do you mean, "keep on the shelf"?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And is this wide spread in Broadcasting Ie radio and other countries, mainly USA?

Must admit this did cross my mind only the other day. How many programes have the likes of BBC & ITV made but never aired for whatever reason? Must be quiet a few I'd imagine!

Would be interesting to get info on this but I feel it would be very difficult to get!
  • Options
    alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    I think he means buy/make and not show. The answer is not that many unless they are ITV (who have a wired accounting system) or they have a contract, like with some US shows, where they don't have to pay until they start showing it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would they do this? TV shows are very expensive - they tend not to pay all that money out unless they're planning to show it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    There must be a few but there's no formula or pattern to it!!!!!

A channel might commission a TV series / programme that might seem like a good idea at the time, but by the time it gets completed the idea / novelty might have worn off for multiple reasons and the channel might shelve it for a later date or on some ocassions forever.

ITV have for example annoiced that the drama series COLLISION will air this autumn / winter. They however announced it as part of their Spring line up, menaing that for some reason they shelved the show for a few months.

I cant think of any UK TV examples at the mo, but a few from Spanish TV come to mind.
    Spain's State broadcaster TVE commissioned a drama by Almodovar called Mujeres 9Women) a few years ago. Whilst the project was being filmed, other channels happened to film a number of dramas with women as the central characters. It all came about as a result of the Desperate Housewives phenomenom. Te Spanish productions failed and in view of this TVE decided to shelve the Almodovar series. A few years later, when all the Desperate Housewives hype died down, TVE eventually scheduled the drama on their second channel.

Similarly, TVE have shelved a number of productions this past TV season in order to protect them from the tough competition they would have faced from veteran shows this year. They now intend to strategiacally scheduel some of these shows against other new projecs or against a weakened veteran. Some have since become dated / irrelevant and normally appear during the Summer months or in a late nigth slot on the second channel.

Imports are other shows that for some reason get shelved.

An interesting example is that of US dramedy Ugly Betty. Commercial net Cuatro secured the rights as soon as the series beca,e available to Spain. They however were unable to screen the series and had to shelve it for over two years. The reason - Following Antena 3TVs hugely successful screening of the original Colombian novella Betty La Fea, rivals Tele5 bought rerun rights to the original and the Mexican version, and also rights to the format. This meant they had the rights to adapt the series. Tele5 produced a local version and never repeated the original Colombian (they just bought them to avoid any other channel screening the serial). With the Spanish adaptation running for various years (4), Cuatro had to wait for a period of time before they could screen the US version. Turns out that the creators of the original had a clause stating that no Betty adaptations could go against each other for a specified time period.