Richard lll : The King in the Carpark C4 Monday

Comments

• Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So she who paid the piper calls the tune?

Pity the piper was so tone deaf then :rolleyes:

I can see now exactly why the Uni of Leicester ran an almost hour long serious academic press conference this am...to distance themselves as much as they could from the "Jeremy Kyle Embarrassing Big Curved Body Histrionic Dig Show" tonight;)

I would rather the histrionics and a discovery being made then a dig with nothing to show for it myself.;)

I take it you are tuning in to Dr David Starkeys show on more 4 now for a serious view on this period.:)
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vixyvic wrote: »
    I am - I like Simon Farnaby :)

Who is he, I only heard the name right at the end of the programme. I am sure someone better could have been found.
  • ButterfaceButterface Posts: 2,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Starkey on More4 - excellent stuff. :)
  • hooterhooter Posts: 30,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    It wasn't the battlefield - it was a church wasn't it?

Yep....got buried in the church after it had been displayed in Leicester
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    Who is he, I only heard the name right at the end of the programme. I am sure someone better could have been found.

Hamilton Cork.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wasn't the battlefield - it was a church wasn't it?

His body was found naked on the battlefield and put on show in town.

Berore being buried in Greyfriars by monks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hamilton Cork.

Is that Cork for a corking good head of hair?
  • ButterfaceButterface Posts: 2,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strangely enough his body was the only one found on the battlefield why??

They weren't digging the battlefield, they were digging a Priory site where he'd been buried.
  • Jen-BJen-B Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you have people passionate about a subject, it makes it come alive which was time teams charm! Unfortunately the mad woman is nuts and only cares about finding him, while the presenter does not come across as really being interested in the whole thing. I want a bit more on the history, more debate and discussion! Somebody presenting it who can ask questions the viewers what answering! This is appalling!!! Even down to the American and canadian news reports! It is all a bit big fat gypsy wedding/fly on the wall/alan partridge!

Right where can i sign a petition to channel 4 to reinstate some credibility to its history programs and treatment of important historical events!

I know exactly what you mean!

Funnily enough, I've actually found a 'Save Time Team' Twitter account and a petition :D (nothing to do with me, I might add, but it's nice that we weren't the only ones to think this!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Butterface wrote: »
    David Starkey on More4 - excellent stuff. :)

Ah at last somebody else watching this serious documentary.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I mean where it was found originally. Wasn't the bit under the carpark an old church?

Yes Greyfriars.
  • Clarkie66Clarkie66 Posts: 5,892
    Forum Member
    Well, I've just finished watching what I thought would be a historical, serious program which turned out to be so bad it was entertaining in a way I wasn't expecting! Mad Phillippa will live in my memory long after serious academics and the comments in here have been absolutely hilarious so thanks to everyone for giving me a right laugh :D
  • glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would rather the histrionics and a discovery being made then a dig with nothing to show for it myself.;)

I take it you are tuning in to Dr David Starkeys show on more 4 now for a serious view on this period.:)

Why would I do that?

I attended some of his classes at the LSE and saw the series the first time around :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't it a repeat? Starkey has been trading his history docs for eons. Surely he hasn't actually made a new one?

Its a repeat but for those that complained on here about the lightweight show on tonight.

Here is a chance to catch up on some serious comment on the period although from the people slagging off tonights show,seems many were not interested in a more serious take on this period which is sad.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strangely enough his body was the only one found on the battlefield why??

It was buried in a church not a battlefield. The head of the archaeology department said they found others but only recovered a couple more. As she said medieval churches are full of bodies.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right, so the dig was in a church no?

A former church site yes Greyfriars.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nite all...we`re going to be dreaming about all this tonight:D
  • sunnypicklessunnypickles Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    Horrible histories is brilliant and brings history alive, that energy should be brought into this, not as much as HH but more than what he brought to this to make it exciting newsworthy stuff! The program was such an anticlimax to an exciting day! In this role Simon Farnaby for me did not fit, it does not for me show that he has a passion for history and you would think his passion would increase over the whole program as he found out more! But it was delivered at the same level the whole way through. Like he was not allowed to get excited! There is an expectation in programs like this, i know things change, but you still expect a degree of high quality program that befits the occasion! The presenter should voice the viewers questions and get the max out! I found he just repeated the stuff the scientist said and did not challenge it. As a scientist, those who often ask questions are very interested in your subject while those who are not tend not to ask anything! So spoilt!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would I do that?

I attended some of his classes at the LSE and saw the series the first time around :)

Fair enough so did i worth a second look though.

For those slagging off tonights show particularly.:)
  • sunnypicklessunnypickles Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    Jen-B wrote: »
    I know exactly what you mean!

Funnily enough, I've actually found a 'Save Time Team' Twitter account and a petition :D (nothing to do with me, I might add, but it's nice that we weren't the only ones to think this!)

might have to sign up for this! thank you!
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it for what it was, i was hoping for a more serious documentary but at times it seemed like a pisstake that awful presenter and that bloody stupid woman being over dramatic all the time, i felt like slapping her i wonder if that car park is still open maybe we could dump her in it and dig her up in 600 years, i'm sure people would be obliging. ;) i jest of course.
  • Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Regarding facial reconstruction from skulls, how accurate is it? I only ask because it seems like something which bias could easily and unintentionally be introduced to.
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Don't shoot me for this, but i really enjoyed the programme.

Yes, Phillipa was as mada as a box of bones, erm - frogs, but she was right in the end.

And the Osteo archeaologist breaking the skull by accident was fairly typical of what happens in digs. It was history and humanity broad together.

I'm sure there's a more "dry" documentary being made somewhere mind.
  • elfcurryelfcurry Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have to put yourself in her shoes for a minute - finding the thing you are the most passionate about, maybe a bit obsessed over. It must have felt like a lucid dream - to have been standing looking at his bones.
    Did she made it a condition of C4 involvement that her emotions were given full exposure? If not, they could have indulged her at the time out of politeness but made a better programme with tighter edits to show less of her.

The programme makers made a huge error of judgement. It shouldn't have been The Story of Philippa Realising Her Dream it should have been the story of the historical search for Richard III's remains, including a few snippets of her reactions along the way. It could be rescued by dismissing the director and a massive re-edit of the footage.

Simon was ok, not great. I like him from HH so I hope hegets another chance to do something else if he wants it.
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems like Channel 4 couldn't decide what type of documentary it was going to be. It had elements of being serious, comedy, human interest angle and so on. I didn't have much of a problem with Phillippa - she, is after all, passionate about the subject and it must be quite surreal to go from doing some research in your home to digging up a king a few years later.

I would have liked the documentary to have been more in-depth, featuring more historians, more in-depth look at the War of the Roses. Hopefully there will be another documentary sometime soon that deals with this.

So, yeah, the documentary was OK but that's about it.