Options

Smoking in cars with children

Comments

• Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Justabloke wrote: »
    caught by who? The same coppers that catch all those drivers using their mobile phones? Oh wait.....

Try reading the last line of my opening post.
    It's a step. If it makes one selfish ignoramus NOT light up then job done.
  • Options
    AaronWxAaronWx Posts: 2,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cant believe people still doubt the negative effects of passive smoke. If you still need evidence do a search of the scientific literature, there are heaps of peer-reviewed journal articles!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »

I agree.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I read the opening post thanks... I was responding to a different post in the discussion perhaps you should try reading and understanding the context of a reply.
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Yeah I only smoke with kids in the car if I'm drunk. I would never do it sober.
  • Options
    Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the Police State is almost upon us, can we just build the Death Camps for smokers, Daily Mail readers and fat people.

Our spineless acceptance of government interference in our lives is limitless.
  • Options
    Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they are looking to introduce any more anti-smoking legislation then surely they should be starting with a mandatory death sentence for anyone who stops in a busy doorway to light up the second they leave a building.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My fiance works for the British Lung Foundation and lead the media campaign to bring this to the attention of the government. Its so good to see it being discussed, whether you are for the ban or against it.
  • Options
    MonsterMunch99MonsterMunch99 Posts: 2,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skyclad wrote: »
    Your argument is just as valid for banning smoking in the home.

Fine by me, I have no children and I don't smoke.

It's an incredibly poor argument to say that we shouldn't take steps to prevent A just because it's possible to do B.

If there is good reason to ban smoking in cars, then we should do it, and then debate whether it should be banned in houses as well if you think that would be justified. It's two separate issues, that just happen to have one thing in common.
  • Options
    Neil5234Neil5234 Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have evidence to suggest the dangers are great enough to warrant a ban?

That would help me make a decision.

if one child was not comfortable breathing in toxic smoke and the law helped that child would you be in favor?
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the Police State is almost upon us, can we just build the Death Camps for smokers, Daily Mail readers and fat people.

Yes, we're just like East Germany was aren't we.

It's a sad state of affairs that a law has to be considered to stop ignorant parents doing this anyway.
  • Options
    crunchienutcrunchienut Posts: 885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with the 'Agree that its not healthy but not too sure about it being made illegal' side.
    I don't agree for one minute with people smoking in the car with their children inside, I also don't agree with people smoking in their houses with children.
    No, going into the kitchen and shutting the door does not prevent the smoke from reaching the children in the sitting room. Its a wooden door, not an airtight submarine valve.

I think making it law is going too far though, i would imagine that the amount of people who smoke in cars with their children is minimal and where does it stop? Children, like adults, are exposed to all kinds of things detrimental to their health every day, you can't ban it all, nor can you ban parents from doing all and everything that might harm thier children.
  • Options
    crunchienutcrunchienut Posts: 885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Double post
  • Options
    SkycladSkyclad Posts: 3,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's an incredibly poor argument to say that we shouldn't take steps to prevent A just because it's possible to do B.

If there is good reason to ban smoking in cars, then we should do it, and then debate whether it should be banned in houses as well if you think that would be justified. It's two separate issues, that just happen to have one thing in common.

I agree.

Now where is the good reason to ban it in cars?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    Not every matter of conscience need be legislated against.
  • Options
    SkycladSkyclad Posts: 3,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neil5234 wrote: »
    if one child was not comfortable breathing in toxic smoke and the law helped that child would you be in favor?

No. Children are subject to all sorts of 'uncomfortable' situations.

The question is about whether it is significantly harmful. If it is then I could support a ban. I've never said I wouldn't.

Frankly, the easiest solution to 'protect the children' is simply to ban smoking - in cars or otherwise. In the same way many other drugs are banned.

The added benefit being it would protect everyone - not just children.
  • Options
    shhhhhshhhhh Posts: 3,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smoking in cars is way down on the list of priorities compared to tailgaiting and driving on worn tyres.

I wonder how many drivers who are against smoking in cars are themselves prolific tailgaiters who seem to drive at high speed everywhere?
  • Options
    MonsterMunch99MonsterMunch99 Posts: 2,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree.

As I'm sure you are aware, the dangers of passive smoking are well documented. A simple google search will expose that, along with other information such as he number of children exposed to smoke being pegged at ~ 430,000 according to a survey conducted by the British Lung Foundation.

Personally, I think if parents can't be trusted to take very simple steps to avoid harming their children then the law should do it for them. Smoking firsthand is personal choice, but that can't be said for kids breathing in their parents smoke.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shhhhh wrote: »
    Smoking in cars is way down on the list of priorities compared to tailgaiting and driving on worn tyres.

I wonder how many drivers who are against smoking in cars are themselves prolific tailgaiters who seem to drive at high speed everywhere?

But it's nothing to do with dangerous driving though, it is to do with the effect smoking has on children in enclosed spaces.
  • Options
    D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nag people it's nasty, horrible and bad for the children but do we really need to criminalise people for it? I honestly don't think we do. Priorities as another person on here has said.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree.

Having a red hot stick in your hand whilst driving at 70mph is pretty dangerous. I know from experience when I dropped the bloody thing in my lap!
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    But unlike some ridiculous laws, this is a win win. Most of us will abide by it, so no problem and those idiots who ignore it will hopefully get caught.

Do you see how you come across and do you think it helps your cause looking down your nose at people?

Tell us, who was the group you looked down on before attacking smokers in the vilest way possible became trendy?

And who will be next?
  • Options
    Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The government interferes in enough of our liberties. For me it's common sense for someone not to do this. If they choose not to then more fool them. I completely agree with bans where safety is involved - e.g. the mobile phone ban, but not with this.

Is this a democracy or a dictatorship where the government tell us how to bring up our children?
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I dont understand. Are you basically saying you should be allowed to smoke in a car with kids in it? Regardless of any other laws, interference, nanny state control, I am talking about THIS law. So what do you say?
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Do you see how you come across and do you think it helps your cause looking down your nose at people?

Tell us, who was the group you looked down on before attacking smokers in the vilest way possible became trendy?

And who will be next?

:confused: Calm down. Have a ****.