Options

Should EastEnders' tackle FGM.

Beale_FowlerBeale_Fowler Posts: 109
Forum Member
I said earlier than EastEnders should have more Somalian and Bangledeshi characters to reflect the real East End when it was asked whether the show was too white.. it is. However, soap operas are a great way of bringing controversial issues into the public limelight and EastEnders is great at that. How about a Somalian family coming into the show, through a new love interest for Shabnam, and one of the daughters being a sufferer of FGM or something. Or maybe the Somalian big sister, who has had FGM, tries to stop the Mum doing it to the little sister. I think FGM is an issue that EastEnders would be brave to tackle.

Comments

• Options
    TheGraduate2012TheGraduate2012 Posts: 14,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It doesn't seem like much of a plot to me. Plus, I can imagine it would be a subject of which the majority of the EE characters would be ignorant about, so I can't see many of them really getting involved.
  • Options
    KellerKeller Posts: 5,970
    Forum Member
    Might be a little graphic or complicated to do justice in a pre-watershed time slot. It might also strike a nerve with the Somali community, the first Somali family in a British soap also happen to be the first to deal with a FGM storyline.

That being said I would never discourage EastEnders from taking risks, it's often what makes it stand out from the other soaps.
  • Options
    lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It doesn't seem like much of a plot to me. Plus, I can imagine it would be a subject of which the majority of the EE characters would be ignorant about, so I can't see many of them really getting involved.

I'm sure it would resonate with many of the female viewers when they find out what actually happens. I first heard about it back in the 80's and I was shocked to the core. Can't believe it's taken to this year before someone (a doctor I think) is being prosecuted for it.
    Keller wrote: »
    Might be a little graphic or complicated to do justice in a pre-watershed time slot. It might also strike a nerve with the Somali community, the first Somali family in a British soap also happen to be the first to deal with a FGM storyline.

That being said I would never discourage EastEnders from taking risks, it's often what makes it stand out from the other soaps.

But that's the biggest problem. How on earth would they convey what was happened without getting graphic? They covered it on a recent Law and Order UK but, like you say, that's after the watershed.
  • Options
    JigglyBallJigglyBall Posts: 1,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope! It's a soap not a drama/documentary.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm not saying that we should see the actual practice of FGM on TV. That would be disgusting. Perhaps what could happen is that the Somalian child learns that she is going on holiday but doesn't want to go. The mother is forcing her to go but perhaps Shabnam and the Masoods help?? It would be tricky but it would be worth it. The public are completely unaware of it.
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think a better storyline would be Lee suffering from some kind of PTSD having seen people being tortured in Afghanistan and innocent children killed by drones. Maybe he's aware of some complicity to torture and is on the run from the secret service, hence his reluctance to go back. That would be more hard hitting and topical than FGM, and could be tackled before the watershed.
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    I think a better storyline would be Lee suffering from some kind of PTSD having seen people being tortured in Afghanistan and innocent children killed by drones. Maybe he's aware of some complicity to torture and is on the run from the secret service, hence his reluctance to go back.

EE would never have the balls to do that!
  • Options
    TheGraduate2012TheGraduate2012 Posts: 14,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd prefer the Masoods not to be involved, because then it would seem like an 'ethnic minority' storyline.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JigglyBall wrote: »
    Nope! It's a soap not a drama/documentary.
    So soaps shouldn't tackle serious issues? EastEnders has tackled homosexuality, racism, prostitution, drug addiction, rape, HIV, domestic violence, alcoholism, disability, schizophrenia, mental illness, immigration, paedophilia, assisted dying, cancer etc. over the last 29 years. Why shouldn't it tackle FGM? I hate to say but this 'it's a soap not a drama/documentary' argument is utter b*llocks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'd prefer the Masoods not to be involved, because then it would seem like an 'ethnic minority' storyline.
    Fair point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think a better storyline would be Lee suffering from some kind of PTSD having seen people being tortured in Afghanistan and innocent children killed by drones. Maybe he's aware of some complicity to torture and is on the run from the secret service, hence his reluctance to go back. That would be more hard hitting and topical than FGM, and could be tackled before the watershed.
    That would be way OTT. FGM is a real issue that affects women and girls even in our own country. Running away from the secret service isn't.
  • Options
    trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    That would be way OTT. FGM is a real issue that affects women and girls even in our own country. Running away from the secret service isn't.

Exactly and it is topical also as I'm pretty sure legislation has recently been used. I think it's a great idea and could actually happen as the current PTB are saying the want EE to be more modern and relevant.
  • Options
    ChrysalisChrysalis Posts: 592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eastenders needs more episodes outside the square like the whitney prositute episodes, very dark and gloomy and much more representative of real life.

instead of everyone been able to afford to eat in the cafe every day and goto the pub every night (in an era where pubs are closing down).
  • Options
    adamski94adamski94 Posts: 3,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Casualty did this a few months back
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No EasEnders shouldn't do this .

How you even approach the dialogue surrounding it would be a challenge .

In fact it's a daft idea :D
  • Options
    JigglyBallJigglyBall Posts: 1,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So soaps shouldn't tackle serious issues? EastEnders has tackled homosexuality, racism, prostitution, drug addiction, rape, HIV, domestic violence, alcoholism, disability, schizophrenia, mental illness, immigration, paedophilia, assisted dying, cancer etc. over the last 29 years. Why shouldn't it tackle FGM? I hate to say but this 'it's a soap not a drama/documentary' argument is utter b*llocks.

No one is going to want to sit down and watch 30 minutes of EE dedicated to female genital mutilation, it's not a relateable topic to 99.9% of people living in the UK. And I say that as someone who comes from that part of the world.

It will never happen so there's no point even suggesting it.
  • Options
    lulu glulu g Posts: 52,649
    Forum Member
    klendathu wrote: »
    No EasEnders shouldn't do this .

How you even approach the dialogue surrounding it would be a challenge .

In fact it's a daft idea :D
    Yes, this is the problem. It is an interesting and important subject, but I just don't see how they could even convey what happens in a pre-watershed-compatible way.
  • Options
    trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    No one is going to want to sit down and watch 30 minutes of EE dedicated to female genital mutilation, it's not a relateable topic to 99.9% of people living in the UK. And I say that as someone who comes from that part of the world.

I'm not sure the OP wanted a 30 minute episode devoted to FGM, just a story line about it amongst other story lines. I think it could work as I said earlier it's topical and the current PTB are saying the want EE to be more modern and relevant.
    lulu g wrote: »
    Yes, this is the problem. It is an interesting and important subject, but I just don't see how they could even convey what happens in a pre-watershed-compatible way.

They manage to convey sex, sexually transmitted disease, rape and assault so I don't see why they couldn't convey this.
  • Options
    Cuddly_CatCuddly_Cat Posts: 2,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I said earlier than EastEnders should have more Somalian and Bangledeshi characters to reflect the real East End when it was asked whether the show was too white.. it is. However, soap operas are a great way of bringing controversial issues into the public limelight and EastEnders is great at that. How about a Somalian family coming into the show, through a new love interest for Shabnam, and one of the daughters being a sufferer of FGM or something. Or maybe the Somalian big sister, who has had FGM, tries to stop the Mum doing it to the little sister. I think FGM is an issue that EastEnders would be brave to tackle.
    I agree. This is happening in Britain and behind closed doors. This storyline could even help young girls come out and ask for help to stop it happening to them.
    I think Eastenders PTB and the actor who plays Lee asked the army for help in playing a character who has been in the army. I doubt this storyline would happen. I would much prefer to see a female genital mutilation storyline that could help vulnerable women and girls come forward about forced FGM.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chrysalis wrote: »
    eastenders needs more episodes outside the square like the whitney prositute episodes, very dark and gloomy and much more representative of real life.

instead of everyone been able to afford to eat in the cafe every day and goto the pub every night (in an era where pubs are closing down).

Eastenders went as far afield as on location to Oxford in yesterday's episode.

Very unusual - but good though.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Oh please! No one is calling for that. I am arguing for a storyline about FGM. Also, the argument that it is not a relateable topic to 99.9% of people (well, relateable isn't even word) is wrong. You think 99.9% of people are subject to HIV, pedophila, prostitution etc. I mean seriously.
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't know, Snowden and Assange have made it topical. But I agree that it's not everyday.

I do think PTSD for army personnel is very common though and maybe even more prevalent than FGM in this country. The complicity to torture has also become topical following the Gibson report, but they could just do the PTSD without the torture bit.
  • Options
    attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chrysalis wrote: »

You mean like Corrie does? Do real streets like that have factories on the opposite side? I mean people who work in factories are hardly going to pop across the street & there's one right there.

I agree with you about the episodes outside the square, I think soap all soaps should do it. I mean only so many things can happen in one Street, one Village or one Square.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't know, Snowden and Assange have made it topical. But I agree that it's not everyday.

I do think PTSD for army personnel is very common though and maybe even more prevalent than FGM in this country. The complicity to torture has also become topical following the Gibson report, but they could just do the PTSD without the torture bit.
    Oh come on! It isn't. Snowden and Assange is not a topical issue to do with EastEnders or that EastEnders can promote. FGM is a real issue that hasn't been addressed by any soaps. I also think that FGM is a more pressing issue that conspiracy theories. Also, a truly representative 'East End'ers would be best placed to tackle FGM, than say Corrie or Emmerdale, because of the Somalian diaspora living in the East End.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No chance.

The BBC just would not dare touch on such a brutal subject with a barge-pole in a pre-watershed soap.

They may well have in the 80's and early 90's (if this terrible situation was known then), but not now.