Salmond is getting desperate

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
Forum Member
✭✭✭
He's getting desperate now. I'll bet he will pay for them all as well to get there.

Up to 12,000 first time voters from across Scotland will fill Glasgow's SSE Hydro for a BBC One televised debate on independence.

The 11 September debate will give 16 and 17-year-olds the opportunity to air their views and question politicians.

Every secondary school in Scotland will be invited to take part.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-27966132

Comments

• AllyourKittyAllyourKitty Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The sands are running out for Alex Salmond and he knows it.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :confused:

Why is this a bad thing? Or even a desperate thing?

We should be crying out to get young people more involved in democracy. With the state of affairs we have now quite frankly we should be doing everything we can to engage 16 and 17 YO's, and even those younger still in secondary school.

After all, technically speaking they have longer left in this country than most people older than them, by the laws of life and death, so I don't understand why their views are discounted and ignored.

Good on the SNP wishing to reduce the voting age to 16, and for organising things like this.. for basically caring about and listening to the youth.. something the other parties haven't ever really done.
  • gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's great young people will be getting more involved in politics when I believe most of them couldn't care less.

I am worried about the referendum because if independence happens my family will be feeling pretty desperate as the company my mum works for is most likely going to pull out of Scotland. She is 51 and finding another job won't be easy.

p.s Hi Woodbush hope you are well.
  • DaewosDaewos Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    As the article starts:
    BBC Scotland is to host the biggest debate the country has ever seen in the week before the independence referendum.

As there is no mention of involvement by Salmond, where do you get your hypothesis that Salmond is desperate? I would suggest it is not in fact Salmond that is desperate.....;-)
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daewos wrote: »
    As the article starts:

As there is no mention of involvement by Salmond, where do you get your hypothesis that Salmond is desperate? I would suggest it is not in fact Salmond that is desperate.....;-)

Unionists are absolutely obsessed with Salmond. They can't seem to understand that not every one supports the UK Government and so, rather than acknowledge that, they channel all their hatred and frustration into attacking the man they perceive as a threat. The fixation on Salmond would be amusing if it wasn't so creepy.
  • GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    Unionists are absolutely obsessed with Salmond. They can't seem to understand that not every one supports the UK Government and so, rather than acknowledge that, they channel all their hatred and frustration into attacking the man they perceive as a threat. The fixation on Salmond would be amusing if it wasn't so creepy.

H'mmm.

As obsessed as Salmond himself is? ;-)
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

10/10 for denial.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    10/10 for denial.

What am I denying?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    H'mmm.

As obsessed as Salmond himself is? ;-)

No idea, I've never met him.
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a big debate like this in the week before referendum is more than just a wee bit pointless -- far, far too late to be of much use -- should be having such an event a couple of months before September 18th.
    There will be a lot of filtering for audience going by usual bbc practice too!
  • MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He should be - latest poll is No 53% Yes 36%
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The sands are running out for Alex Salmond and he knows it.
    you mean sands are running out for bbc Scotland surely?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MartinP wrote: »
    He should be - latest poll is No 53% Yes 36%
    which poll was that?
    recent ones I'm aware of have been yes/no 46/54 & yes/no 48/52
    --- that is once you eliminate the irrelevant don't know's which some pollsters are counting as no's!

And it's not a parliamentary/general/Scottish election so isn't about Salmond
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barky99 wrote: »
    which poll was that?
    recent ones I'm aware of have been yes/no 46/54 & yes/no 48/52
    --- that is once you eliminate the irrelevant don't know's which some pollsters are counting as no's!

And it's not a parliamentary/general/Scottish election so isn't about Salmond

I was looking at the YouGov poll from June 18. That appears to be the latest.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/events/scotland-decides/poll-tracker
  • Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    He's getting desperate now. I'll bet he will pay for them all as well to get there.

Up to 12,000 first time voters from across Scotland will fill Glasgow's SSE Hydro for a BBC One televised debate on independence.

The 11 September debate will give 16 and 17-year-olds the opportunity to air their views and question politicians.

Why is it a bad thing, it certainly isn't a new thing? In the run up to the 1997 election Tony Blair attended a large Labour party rally at the Beach Ballroom in Aberdeen attended by various party grandees and of course the media, I and about 20 other 6th year pupils from the city were given the opportunity to attend. I was sitting directly behind him and could be seen on the Nine O'Clock news. :D
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,566
    Forum Member
    a big debate like this in the week before referendum is more than just a wee bit pointless -- far, far too late to be of much use -- should be having such an event a couple of months before September 18th.
    There will be a lot of filtering for audience going by usual bbc practice too!

What kind of filtering?

The thread title is rather odd btw. The initiative is coming from the BBC, not Salmond.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MartinP wrote: »
    I was looking at the YouGov poll from June 18. That appears to be the latest.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/events/scotland-decides/poll-tracker
    average result being 44 yes to 56 no ... not all right up to date and many far closer than yougov
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    average result being 44 yes to 56 no ... not all right up to date and many far closer than yougov

You are welcome to choose other measures if it makes you feel better. I was just looking at the latest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    What kind of filtering?

The thread title is rather odd btw. The initiative is coming from the BBC, not Salmond.
    previous smaller debate also featuring younger voters for radio 5 live (but also televised by bbc) put out questionnaires beforehand with very loaded questions, they said to find undecided voters to give 'bbc balance' --- a certain 16 year old called Saffron Dickson upstaged everyone there somehow!
  • anndra_wanndra_w Posts: 6,557
    Forum Member
    woodbush wrote: »

Nothing to do with Salmond. What I'm beginning to find frightening in the extreme is this hatred that a certain section of society have to toward Salmond. It's almost sectarian. What role have the press and unionist politicians played in inflaming the hatred and bigotry towards an individual. How much responsibility do they have to take for the death threats received by Salmond? They are cultivating a climate of acceptable hatred towards one man. It's evil. I've yet to meet any of these people who hate Salmond who can actually articulate why they do without exposing themselves as completely uninformed and ignorant. It's sick.
    Forum Member
    previous smaller debate also featuring younger voters for radio 5 live (but also televised by bbc) put out questionnaires beforehand with very loaded questions, they said to find undecided voters to give 'bbc balance' --- a certain 16 year old called Saffron Dickson upstaged everyone there somehow!
    Saffron's a great wee speaker and good lefty. She spoke at the RIC conference and I was so impressed with the guts she had to get up and do that at her age.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anndra_w wrote: »
    Nothing to do with Salmond. What I'm beginning to find frightening in the extreme is this hatred that a certain section of society have to toward Salmond. It's almost sectarian. What role have the press and unionist politicians played in inflaming the hatred and bigotry towards an individual. How much responsibility do they have to take for the death threats received by Salmond? They are cultivating a climate of acceptable hatred towards one man. It's evil. I've yet to meet any of these people who hate Salmond who can actually articulate why they do without exposing themselves as completely uninformed and ignorant. It's sick.

I wonder if David Cameron is being pressed to distance himself from these trolls in the same way Salmond was when alleged "Cybernats" were attacking J. K. Rowling. After all, I've now seen comments reported that ranged from people claiming they wanted him to be thrown before a firing squad to one bizarre threat to rape him. As you say, this is sick stuff - and I do hope Police Scotland expend as much energy on tracking down these fools as they do tracking down Nationalist ones.
    Forum Member
    I wonder if David Cameron is being pressed to distance himself from these trolls in the same way Salmond was when alleged "Cybernats" were attacking J. K. Rowling. After all, I've now seen comments reported that ranged from people claiming they wanted him to be thrown before a firing squad to one bizarre threat to rape him. As you say, this is sick stuff - and I do hope Police Scotland expend as much energy on tracking down these fools as they do tracking down Nationalist ones.

The response from the UK media is that abuse against Unionists is despicable while death threats against Salmond or Sturgeon aren't to be taken as seriously.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am I being dense? I fail to see how holding a public debate is a measure of desperation :confused:
    Forum Member
    Am I being dense? I fail to see how holding a public debate is a measure of desperation :confused:

No you're not the one being dense.