Avengers Membership

Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
Forum Member
I was reading an article earlier on the Avengers, specifically the retiring of the founding members after the Thanos story (post Avengers 4) has wrapped up. This would ultimately see the removal of Captain America, Ironman, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Thor and Hulk from the line-up.

Avengers 2 introduced Vision and Scarlet Witch, though I think it's a fair bet that Vision will get taken out early into Avengers 3 (cause he has something Thanos wants). As such, Avengers 5 wont likely feature him at all, not unless he doesn't actually need that stone to exist. I also figure Thor will finally ascend to King of Asgard after the Infinity War, so he'll have other responsibilities.

I'd imagine Falcon to stick around, and I'm expecting Bucky to take the mantle of Captain America (much to Stark's displeasure). I also figure we'll have Ant Man, Black Panther and Doctor Strange as active members for a movie or two, in addition to Spider-Man.

Anyone care to speculate who else may (or may not) be an Active Avenger going into Avengers 5?

Comments

• silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ms Marvel

>crosses fingers<
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    silentNate wrote: »
    Ms Marvel

>crosses fingers<
    COMPLETELY forgot about her. :blush:
  • NeioNeio Posts: 1,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    I was reading an article earlier on the Avengers, specifically the retiring of the founding members after the Thanos story (post Avengers 4) has wrapped up. This would ultimately see the removal of Captain America, Ironman, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Thor and Hulk from the line-up.

Avengers 2 introduced Vision and Scarlet Witch, though I think it's a fair bet that Vision will get taken out early into Avengers 3 (cause he has something Thanos wants). As such, Avengers 5 wont likely feature him at all, not unless he doesn't actually need that stone to exist. I also figure Thor will finally ascend to King of Asgard after the Infinity War, so he'll have other responsibilities.

I'd imagine Falcon to stick around, and I'm expecting Bucky to take the mantle of Captain America (much to Stark's displeasure). I also figure we'll have Ant Man, Black Panther and Doctor Strange as active members for a movie or two, in addition to Spider-Man.

Anyone care to speculate who else may (or may not) be an Active Avenger going into Avengers 5?

If Ant-Man becomes an active member, then it seems like the Wasp (Evangeline Lilly) might too? I'm still annoyed Wasp hasn't been in the Avengers movies yet - she was a founding member in the comics, and even named the team!
    Forum Member
    Neio wrote: »
    If Ant-Man becomes an active member, then it seems like the Wasp (Evangeline Lilly) might too? I'm still annoyed Wasp hasn't been in the Avengers movies yet - she was a founding member in the comics, and even named the team!
    One would assume so, yeah, but we know the films don't specifically follow the comics. Ant Man was a founding member in the comics, Rogers wasn't. Neither Hawkeye or Widow were founding members either.

I fully expect the Wasp to be in Avengers 3 & 4, in addition to everyone else, but I suspect her role will be limited going forward. This of course depends on the contract Lilly has with Marvel. There are so many characters to choose from moving forward, but these films are only going to last so long before they become repetitive. Marvel really need to work on establishing some more characters now, ready for later, even if it's just references to them; characters like Namor, Mockingbird, Squirrel Girl, Red/She Hulk, and the Netflix characters have all been mentioned as joining the Avengers, or moving to the MCU lately; obviously the latter bunch are established on Netflix, so bringing them onto the big screen would be tricky (same with Ghost Rider; unless they use another incarnation for the films).
  • PuckyPucky Posts: 4,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

IF there is an Avengers 5!! So far most of the movies up to 2020 have been announced, and there's only 3 spots to fill, one of which was going to be Inhumans but I believe that's now been shelved. I don't think there's any plans for an Iron Man 4, and if there's a Cap 4 it may not be with Chris Evans as Steve Rogers.

A lot will come down to contracts. RDJ's initial contract is over and I believe he's now on a film-by-film deal. Infinity War is the last film on Chris Evans' original 6-movie contract but he has signed on again for, at least, Avengers 4. Sebastian Stan signed for 9 films (which is what Marvel originally wanted for Evans but he turned them down and re-negotiated for 6) so he has 6 left (4 after Infinity War and Avengers 4).

I don't know about any other of the actors but I've read that Marvel wanted 9 film deals from all it's major stars, and only Evans managed to get less - but I don't know how true that is.

Vision has the Mind Stone, and I think he'll cease to exist so Thanos can get his hands on the stone.

There's rumours that they're going to bring back Quicksilver/Pietro Maximoff, possibly using the Time Stone but at the moment that's just a rumour - until there's more confirmation on the actual cast for Infinity War who knows?

I'd like to see Anthony Mackie stick around for a bit longer as Sam WIlson - especially if Bucky becomes Cap - those two are great together. I'd also like Chris Evans to stick around for a few more films.
    Neio wrote: »
    They were going to introduce her into Civil War, but decided to leave her out until Ant Man & the Wasp in a couple of years.
    Forum Member
    Pucky wrote: »
    IF there is an Avengers 5!! So far most of the movies up to 2020 have been announced, and there's only 3 spots to fill, one of which was going to be Inhumans but I believe that's now been shelved. I don't think there's any plans for an Iron Man 4, and if there's a Cap 4 it may not be with Chris Evans as Steve Rogers.
    If there's an Ironman 4, it needs to be the true Mandarin. I can't honestly see them doing a Captain America without Rogers either. Captain America 4 just wouldn't be the same without Chris Evans. They'd need to build themselves a new trilogy, with a different name if someone took over the status.
    A lot will come down to contracts. RDJ's initial contract is over and I believe he's now on a film-by-film deal. Infinity War is the last film on Chris Evans' original 6-movie contract but he has signed on again for, at least, Avengers 4. Sebastian Stan signed for 9 films (which is what Marvel originally wanted for Evans but he turned them down and re-negotiated for 6) so he has 6 left (4 after Infinity War and Avengers 4).
    Well, if I recall, Rogers eventually steps down and becomes a figurehead in Shield (a director?) maybe they'll take that approach, and have him cameo occasionally?
    I don't know about any other of the actors but I've read that Marvel wanted 9 film deals from all it's major stars, and only Evans managed to get less - but I don't know how true that is.
    I can see Marvel wanting 9 picture deals with some of their cast; especially Brie and Tom for their portrayals of Captain Marvel and Spider-Man going forward, but the same deals for Paul, Lilly & Benedict? I can't see them sticking around for 9 films. Paul (Bettany) obviously didn't get the 9 picture deal. :p
    There's rumours that they're going to bring back Quicksilver/Pietro Maximoff, possibly using the Time Stone but at the moment that's just a rumour - until there's more confirmation on the actual cast for Infinity War who knows?
    I think that's more fan desire than certainty. If the dead can suddenly be revived, then they might as well revive Peggy, Rogers (if he dies), and anyone else they feel like, though I would much rather the time stone be about reviving the dead than actually traveling through time (cause that would honestly suck in the MCU).
    I'd like to see Anthony Mackie stick around for a bit longer as Sam WIlson - especially if Bucky becomes Cap - those two are great together. I'd also like Chris Evans to stick around for a few more films.
    Totally agree here.
  • Ghost WorldGhost World Posts: 7,036
    Forum Member
    As well as either Bucky or Sam taking up the mantle of Captain America, I could see Stark passing the Iron Man-tle to someone else - whether that's the MCU version of Riri Williams or someone else entirely. And we could yet see a female Thor, whether it's a recast Jane Foster or Sif or Valkyrie or a new character.

On top of that you have Captain Marvel, Spider-Man, Black Panther, Doctor Strange, Ant-Man, Wasp and Scarlet Witch.

I don't think there are too many characters that a) are associated with the Avengers, b) are available to Marvel Studios, and c) would work on-screen in the MCU.

They obvious ones for me would be Nova, She-Hulk and Namor (depending on how convoluted the rights situation is).
    Forum Member
    As well as either Bucky or Sam taking up the mantle of Captain America, I could see Stark passing the Iron Man-tle to someone else - whether that's the MCU version of Riri Williams or someone else entirely.
    From what little I know, Riri Williams is a young genius, and not quite ... mature enough to be dealing with intergalactic threats and the like. If Ironman is going to step down, then I'd rather just see Rhody step into that iron suit position by himself.
    And we could yet see a female Thor, whether it's a recast Jane Foster or Sif or Valkyrie or a new character.
    Does anyone else really not want to see this? I don't mind female superheroes, but Thor as a woman? I know it's true to the comics (for the moment at least) but I always interpret the position as Thor is Thor, name and person, rather than a title.

I'm also pretty sure that Valkyrie has been cast in Thor 3 too, so it's possible she'd take Thor's place in assisting Earth in it's time of need if Thor is busy being King of Asgard.
    I don't think there are too many characters that a) are associated with the Avengers, b) are available to Marvel Studios, and c) would work on-screen in the MCU.
    I do wonder (if it can be negotiated) whether they can include a recast bunch of X-Men here? Maybe a Wolverine, Cyclops and Phoenix that acquired their powers the same way Skye/Daisy have, rather than mutations? They don't necessarily need to include all the X-Men. They've managed to get the Witch and the Speedster, so.....
    They obvious ones for me would be Nova, She-Hulk and Namor (depending on how convoluted the rights situation is).
    Isn't Nova from Xandar? Bit odd for him to leave his homeworld and decide to protect Earth isn't it? :p Not sure I specifically want to see She-Hulk either. One Hulk is enough in the MCU.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I suppose it depends on how many members on average people think the core Avengers team should have.
    After the Infinity Wars films I think it will be a bit silly to try to continue with a consistent cast of about 12. which is something around the current number of Avengers we will have after the Infinity Wars films.

I think we can tell that Doctor Strange, Captain Marvel, Scarlet Witch, Falcon, Ant-Man and Black Panther will definitely be in the team as part of the next generation for sure.

So far that's 6.
    Then we have Winter Soldier/Bucky Barnes who will probably join the team.
    8 if we include Vision, whose future looks a bit dubious after the next two films.

That's easily a fully functional serving team in itself, and that's without any of the original members.

I don't think they'll bother with War Machine because he seems to come as part of a package with Iron Man. If Iron man goes War Machine may well leave too. I also don't think Spiderman will become a full time member either.

So far, excluding original members ....
    Doctor Strange
    Captain Marvel
    Black Panther
    Ant-Man
    Scarlet Witch
    Falcon
    Bucky Barnes either as Winter Solider or a New Captain America.
    Vision (maybe)

That's 8.
    (I bet that I've missed somebody)
    Oh I forgot.....Wasp. That will take us to 9.

I think that we can safely say that something is going to give after the next two Avengers films and we could well see one or two if not most or all of the original cast leave.
    I think we'll get a Black Widow film though.
  • dave2702dave2702 Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If there's an Ironman 4, it needs to be the true Mandarin.

The problem with Mandarin is the Chinese Box Office though, he has to be done in a way so as to not offend the biggest overseas market
    I do wonder (if it can be negotiated) whether they can include a recast bunch of X-Men here? Maybe a Wolverine, Cyclops and Phoenix that acquired their powers the same way Skye/Daisy have, rather than mutations? They don't necessarily need to include all the X-Men. They've managed to get the Witch and the Speedster, so.....

Those two were members of the Avengers though and thus available. Fox isn't like Sony and desperate for cash so they have no need to do a deal with Disney
  • brumiladbrumilad Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe Mantis? I suppose that depends on if and how Guardians of the Galaxy 2 crosses over with Avengers 3.
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Nova from the comics is Sam Alexander from Earth who has taken on the mandle from his missing father Jessie Alexander.Ive not read the previous versions so what is Xandar in terms of Nova?

Also previous posters have mentioned Namor but are the rights to his character a bit of mess? I think they are either split between Marvel and Universal or maybe just held Universal I just know that Universal are involved in his rights!
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Motthus wrote: »
    Nova from the comics is Sam Alexander from Earth who has taken on the mandle from his missing father Jessie Alexander.Ive not read the previous versions so what is Xandar in terms of Nova?

Also previous posters have mentioned Namor but are the rights to his character a bit of mess? I think they are either split between Marvel and Universal or maybe just held Universal I just know that Universal are involved in his rights!

Namor is probably the biggest name character who hasn't appeared in the Marvel Cinematic Universe yet.
    However I think it's inevitable that if/when he appears Marvel will be accused of copying the DC films because by then the DC film Aquaman will have been out. Which would be ironic seeing as Namor is technically Marvel's first superhero, and made his comic debut two years before Aquaman. But it will look like it to the average cinema-going audience.

As far as I'm aware the rights to Namor have been sorted out and I think they're free to use him if they want to.

Speaking of which, Namor may actually appear in the MCU due to a possible slip that Benedict Cumberbatch made when speaking about Doctor Strange in an interview.
    Forum Member
    I suppose it depends on how many members on average people think the core Avengers team should have.

So far, excluding original members ....
    Doctor Strange
    Captain Marvel
    Black Panther
    Ant-Man
    Scarlet Witch
    Falcon
    Bucky Barnes either as Winter Solider or a New Captain America.
    Vision (maybe)

Oh I forgot.....Wasp. That will take us to 9.
    If rumours are true, then Quicksilver too.
    I'm honestly not that bothered about this. If it was a SHIELD film about a group of non powered people, maybe a film with her and Clint or something, then maybe, but as a stand alone character, I'm not overly interested.
    dave2702 wrote: »
    The problem with Mandarin is the Chinese Box Office though, he has to be done in a way so as to not offend the biggest overseas market.
    Just cause he shares a name?
    Namor is probably the biggest name character who hasn't appeared in the Marvel Cinematic Universe yet. However I think it's inevitable that if/when he appears Marvel will be accused of copying the DC films because by then the DC film Aquaman will have been out. Which would be ironic seeing as Namor is technically Marvel's first superhero, and made his comic debut two years before Aquaman. But it will look like it to the average cinema-going audience.
    Of course they will. There's always going to be comparisons with comic books.

Maybe their best route to take with Namor would be to just have him show up in a joint film (like Vision, Scarlet Witch, Hawkeye etc) rather than an origin film like many of the other cast. They can always flesh out his background a little later once the Aquaman stuff has been out a while, though they probably would need to explain why an underwater king (is he?) doesn't appear when the whole world is under threat.
  • PuckyPucky Posts: 4,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm honestly not that bothered about this. If it was a SHIELD film about a group of non powered people, maybe a film with her and Clint or something, then maybe, but as a stand alone character, I'm not overly interested.

Maybe we'll find out what happened in Budapest!
    Well, if I recall, Rogers eventually steps down and becomes a figurehead in Shield (a director?) maybe they'll take that approach, and have him cameo occasionally?
    I suppose he could cameo as Steve Rogers occasionally if required. Evans himself has gone from saying he was done with Marvel after his last contracted film to now saying he'll stick around for as long as Marvel want him, it's been well publicised that one of the reasons he turned them down twice was he didn't know how he'd react to the pressure, and if being Cap would mean he lost his privacy. He has spoken many times of how he hates the promotion part of the job, especially the red carpet, with the possibility of Steve Rogers becoming a lesser character I suppose would take the pressure off as he's no longer the leading man.

It's going to be an interesting couple of years in the MCU as we look towards Avengers 3 & 4. Filming starts on 7th November, and will go through until August/September next year.
    Forum Member
    So Alrightmate what did Marvel sort out with Universal about Namor?

Did they buy all his rights from Universal or is a part owned thing like Spider-Man?

I'm just wondering as I didn't read anything at all about this change with Namor rights!
    Forum Member
    Ok so checking and Kevin Feige said in July that Marvel Studios are the only ones who can make a Namor film but entanglements stop it from happening!

So I was wrong but it seems Namor rights are a bit of a mess to sort out!
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the old days, being an avenger used to mean something. These days, theyll let anyone join.....