Options

Frankie Boyle’s Tramadol Nights

Comments

• Options
    roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,934
    Forum Member
    Despite the growing anti-Frankie sentiment, I reckon his standup can sometimes be pretty good in its own right (putting aside what's rehashed and what isn't, or what's crossing the totally subjective 'line' or what's stopping just before it). Certainly a decent-enough hit/miss ratio anyway. But he's not a sketch performer, never will be.

So in that sense the show isn't really working. But it's issues have little to do with the standup segments.
  • Options
    Ricky D GervaisRicky D Gervais Posts: 2,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The biggest drawback of the episode was the terrible acting from the children and the midget.
  • Options
    RutakatekiRutakateki Posts: 2,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's alienating everyone, including his own fans- it's like he wants to commit career hari kiri. Comedy isn't just being offensive for the sake of it.

He used to be able to finely judge his comedy, so it was right on the line- now he just seems so pissed off that he's going all-out to offend everyone.

He might as well just say "**** you" for 30 minutes
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    Rutakateki wrote: »
    He's alienating everyone, including his own fans- it's like he wants to commit career hari kiri. Comedy isn't just being offensive for the sake of it.

He used to be able to finely judge his comedy, so it was right on the line- now he just seems so pissed off that he's going all-out to offend everyone.

He might as well just say "**** you" for 30 minutes

spot on verdict i think. Its a shame, genuinley. Maybe it wouldnt be as bad if he wasnt recycling material in the stand up bits, which to be fair plenty of comedians do BUT he's got his own first show and its being very well promoted. He must have realised that he's putting out material that most the people tuning in have heard, it just seems a weird way to approach his solo TV debut.

It feels a bit peter kay. my god that feels dirty to say
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Comedy is making people laugh, which he clearly is still doing very well. And again this rubbish that he's "crossing the line". What exactly has he done now that he didn't before?
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is interesting, there's certainly an argument to be made that restrictions that have to be worked around make comedy better, and Stewart Lee's next series- where according to new BBC rules he's not allowed to be rude about any living person- will be better than Boyle's effort.

I don't think Boyle is trying to shock though, he's said in interviews they're just jokes, and I think he believes it.
  • Options
    iiHEARTy0uiiHEARTy0u Posts: 13,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Comedy is making people laugh, which he clearly is still doing very well. And again this rubbish that he's "crossing the line". What exactly has he done now that he didn't before?

You tell us.

Some people are far too ignorant of his work to answer..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iiHEARTy0u wrote: »
    You tell us.

Well if you listen to the itunes podcast of deleted mock the week lines, what he was doing then was no different to now, the difference being the BBC wouldn't broadcast it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You tell us.

Apparently so ignorant you can't even understand the simple concept that I can't tell you what line he's crossed as my argument is that he hasn't crossed any.
  • Options
    RutakatekiRutakateki Posts: 2,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What exactly has he done now that he didn't before?
    Er, not be funny?
  • Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    imnothere wrote: »
    Jesus f*cking christ

No, I think you'll find it was Jesus wanking Christ. Although he couldn't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have watched alot of FB stand up but only the occasional ep of MTW when he was on.

I have heard him say some really offensive stuff but the Jade Goody and Harvey 'jokes' just really got to me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    I was a big fan of his, i was outraged when i heard he was kicked of mock the week. but lately everytime i see him he rehashes the same jokes, if i hear amy whinehouse looks like a campaign poster for neglected horses again il scream.

Hes ritually lost the plot and I quite agree with the bbc for making him someone elses problem im just sorry i didnt see it earlier.
  • Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have watched alot of FB stand up but only the occasional ep of MTW when he was on.

I have heard him say some really offensive stuff but the Jade Goody and Harvey 'jokes' just really got to me.

I won't link my 'Ode to Jade Goody' then...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rutakateki wrote: »
    Er, not be funny?
    By making the same kind of jokes he's always made, the same subject matter, the exact same brand of humour? ...alright then.
    iiHEARTy0u wrote:
    Then you haven't really watched "a lot" at all, or you'd be used to it from him.
    I was a big fan of his, i was outraged when i heard he was kicked of mock the week. but lately everytime i see him he rehashes the same jokes, if i hear amy whinehouse looks like a campaign poster for neglected horses again il scream.

Hes ritually lost the plot and I quite agree with the bbc for making him someone elses problem im just sorry i didnt see it earlier.
    You're apparently unaware that he wasn't kicked off Mock The Week at all, and the last thing the BBC wanted was to lose him?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saying Alex Reid has to stop Harvey... well you know, is clearly a surreal, nonsense line though, it's meaningless. I realize some won't agree with me, but that's my take on it.

I've heard worse Harvey lines in live stand up before (step forward Mr Jim Jefferies)

Boyle's facebook "fan" page is quite the sight at the moment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »
    I won't link my 'Ode to Jade Goody' then...

Probably best not to..
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    imnothere wrote: »
    It feels a bit peter kay. my god that feels dirty to say

especially if Frobo eats himself into a Kay-esque fat suit :p

anyway, this series is in dire need of more Spoonface jokes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then you haven't really watched "a lot" at all, or you'd be used to it from him.

I have watched alot. I even have tickets to see him tonight!

Being used to his humour isnt going to stop me being offended by a few jokes he did.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're gonna love the Maddie and Baby P stuff then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have watched alot. I even have tickets to see him tonight!

LOL, I'd try and flog the tickets now, there are things in his live set channel 4 would never broadcast, unless they wanted ofcom to fine them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're gonna love the Maddie and Baby P stuff then.

Frankie is funny.

He just can be a bit too much.

A few jokes wont put me off him.

I may flog the tickets. Not sure if i can stand the traffic.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't find it offensive, I just didn't think it was very funny.
    On MTW he was more or less obliged to come up with topical material, that was the nature of the show.
    On this, he appears to be going for targets that were maybe newsworthy years ago, and others who are just the usual fodder for every stand-up in the business. I don't know when it was recorded, but there must have been more recent targets in the news to take a swipe at ?
    The sketches are crap, but he's certainly not the first to make that mistake. Why do all stand-ups think they have to include sketches as soon as they get their own show..it rarely works.
  • Options
    LabLab Posts: 2,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the work of a man who is arrogant and showing contempt of his audience. I have loved his work on past shows - his boundary straddling obscenity, making an audience laugh uneasily at taboo subjects, yet making them do so due to his deft humour. That skill was apparent for all fans of adult humour.

But this? It's shooting fish in a barrel. Come on, Jade Goody, Harvey Price? The only thing missing was the obligatory Kerry Katona reference.

If he really does want to retire from comedy he's going the right way about it. It smacks of Radiohead following up OK Computer with Kid A, or, for older listeners, Lou Reed doing Metal Machine Music... "Let's get rid of the teeny-boppers, they don't really understand my art."

Bill Hicks made people think, Frankie Boyle makes people shrink (into their seats).

I am reminded of the late Lenny Bruce watching this tv programme. It's like listening to someone who has no interest in pursuing a career in comedy and is using the medium to be as controversial as possible and thereby create some interest in himself.

Sadly, it fails
  • Options
    Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,766
    Forum Member
    Watched it tonight, I thought it was pretty sick in places but I laughed at those jokes. Frankie is Frankie so I guess people who dont like his material should stay well away because he wont change.