Options

Brucie past it!

joules22joules22 Posts: 1,585
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I feel embarrased now watching him stumble over his lines. He's had a good run for his money but I think it's definitely time.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    Ditto
  • Options
    VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every year I think the same but he continues on. Personally I don't think he is that bad and he obviously enjoys doing the show. Perhaps it is a case of the BBC just cannot come up with someone who can replace him, in spite of what has been said/will be said on here he is still much loved generally. Yes of course there are funnier, younger guys around who can do the job but to some people Bruce is SCD.
  • Options
    Joanne yyJoanne yy Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite like Bruce. However, I felt a mixture of sadness and embarrassment for him last night when he messed up his lines. He has been a good presenter imo ( and Tess also), but I think it is time for him to go :)
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Come on - "the BBC cannot find anyone else"? There are loads of good presenters who would give their eye teeth to present Strictly and make a good job of it. You don't have to be a comedian/dancer to do the job and some of those I mention below have been on the show so could be good.

Gethin Jones
    Matt Baker
    Chris Hollins
    Graham Norton (but not my choice)
    Alexander Armstrong
  • Options
    VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gill P wrote: »
    Come on - "the BBC cannot find anyone else"? There are loads of good presenters who would give their eye teeth to present Strictly and make a good job of it. You don't have to be a comedian/dancer to do the job and some of those I mention below have been on the show so could be good.

Gethin Jones
    Matt Baker
    Chris Hollins
    Graham Norton (but not my choice)
    Alexander Armstrong

I did say that there were other guys who could do the job, it was more that Brucie to a lot of people is SCD and they would not like him replaced. I think Graham Norton should replace him - and am now ducking .. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joanne yy wrote: »
    I quite like Bruce. However, I felt a mixture of sadness and embarrassment for him last night when he messed up his lines. He has been a good presenter imo ( and Tess also), but I think it is time for him to go :)

Yes, I do think when someone is embarrassing it's time.
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Anton should get the job, if the BBC don't give him a more serious celebrity to dance with next year.

I think Matt Baker and Graham Nortan would also be OK choices, as would Michael Ball - a name someone else has suggested and someone who's not over-exposed on tv at the moment - and John Barrowman. I don't think Alexander Armstrong would be taken seriously as a presenter, although I do like him.

However I think we'll have Brucie for at least another year. I like Tess as a second presenter but we need a strong male presenter at her side.
  • Options
    Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member
    When I saw him on ITT last week it made me wonder if this season is the last ?

His jokes have not been too appalling this year, but he is obviously struggling with the autocue. His stumbles used to be hastily covered up, but nowadays if he gets lost he just seems to witter until someone prompts him to move on.

Bruce is at his best when he ad libs .... last night as quick as a flash he went back at Len with " well why did you then ? "., and got a huge laugh.

I think we have seen his swansong without being officially told.
  • Options
    shinnyrshinnyr Posts: 2,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Messed up lines and all he's 100 times better than Claudia! She grates on me no end.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i did like brucie busting his moves on the final scenes of the last minute
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shinnyr wrote: »
    Messed up lines and all he's 100 times better than Claudia! She grates on me no end.

I do think at his best he was good, but he's definitely past it. I love Claudia I think she's hysterically funny.
  • Options
    shinnyrshinnyr Posts: 2,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    joules22 wrote: »
    I do think at his best he was good, but he's definitely past it. I love Claudia I think she's hysterically funny.

We'll just have to agree to disagree because I find it hard to watch her!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shinnyr wrote: »
    We'll just have to agree to disagree because I find it hard to watch her!

Oh, well go on then!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    Well I think any of the following would be better than Bruce, but he has been good - time to retire now though I reckon, this series has been a high for him, time to let it go ...

Matt Baker
    Gethin Jones
    Julian Clary
    Aled Jones
    Graham Norton
    John Barrowman
    Anton du Beke
    James Martin
    Myleene Klaas
    Jane McDonald
    Ben Shephard
    Johnny Vaughan
    Claudia Winkleman

and someone I think could be fantastic but could the producers tame him (my friend suggested him) Brian Blessed
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I vote for Aled Jones
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 395
    Forum Member
    stu2308 wrote: »
    Well I think any of the following would be better than Bruce, but he has been good - time to retire now though I reckon, this series has been a high for him, time to let it go ...

Matt Baker
    Gethin Jones
    Julian Clary
    Aled Jones
    Graham Norton
    John Barrowman
    Anton du Beke
    James Martin
    Myleene Klaas
    Jane McDonald
    Ben Shephard
    Johnny Vaughan
    Claudia Winkleman

and someone I think could be fantastic but could the producers tame him (my friend suggested him) Brian Blessed

I would go for Gethin Jones, I think he is lovely.
  • Options
    Andy_GAndy_G Posts: 11,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As much as I like Brucie, he has had a fantastic TV career, and I do think now would be a good time to retire.

I wouldn't mind Anton du Beke taking over.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gethin Jones or Aled Jones - both would be great, both experienced presenters, both lovely and both have danced on the show

Anything so that I can stop muting the TV every time Brucie is on
  • Options
    SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gethin Jones for me as well! He appeals to kids, guys and gals alike, gay or straight!:D
  • Options
    CobblersCobblers Posts: 5,503
    Forum Member
    Louise99 wrote: »
    I vote for Aled Jones

Ditto!
  • Options
    SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cobblers wrote: »
    Ditto!

Just for the hell of it, we'll have all the Jones's for SCD! Aled, Gethin, and there's one smarmy one call Steve in Channel 4? Well, why not the whole chain gang!:D
  • Options
    CobblersCobblers Posts: 5,503
    Forum Member
    Just for the hell of it, we'll have all the Jones's for SCD! Aled, Gethin, and there's one smarmy one call Steve in Channel 4? Well, why not the whole chain gang!:D

Sounds great!

Just looked up Steve Jones and he's already presented 'Let's Dance for Comic Relief' with Claudia so that's the new presenting lineup settled then :D

At home with the Jones's
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I'm sorry Bruce but you can't get away with entirely messing up a rehearsed joke like you did in the final. Retire when you're ahead. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dear All,

If you want a change to happen, you have to write a letter and post it to the BBC - they don't count public POV opinions any other way and emails get lost unless they hit a soft spot and get read out on Points of View (where crank letters also get read out!!)

Letters, on the other hand, do get read and filed and often replied to (even months later).

What is more valuable is that they actually count in the stats of public opinion.

So, write your letters now, and in the springtime, and maybe by the summertime, the desired result will come about.
  • Options
    IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Harrowing. wrote: »
    Yes, I'm sorry Bruce but you can't get away with entirely messing up a rehearsed joke like you did in the final. Retire when you're ahead. :)
    A little late for that I fear.