Artem the new Derek Hough?

jacksinclairxjacksinclairx Posts: 820
Forum Member
✭✭
After all the hype of the new pro's this season especially the lovely Artem who has proved himself as a great partner, teacher and choreographer he reminds me so much of Derek Hough from DWTS, anyone else agree? Derek always seems to bring the best out in his celeb partners and i think Artem could do the same, now that he has won with Kara i'm sure he will be a dead cert for the next season

Discuss :D

Comments

• millie3millie3 Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He appears to be a lovely man and worked really well with Kara. I think though the real test of the pros is when they are partnered with someone nots so good and we see how much patience etc they have.
  • gorlagongorlagon Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought he did a marvellous job this year and seems like a nice guy. However, I think he'd struggle with a less talented celeb. He was negative enough about how various dances were coming and hard enough on his talented celeb during training to make me think he would not do at all well unless his partner was a contender.
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is Derek that guy that Cheryl Cole is always with?
  • SallyforthSallyforth Posts: 7,404
    Forum Member
    Yes, and he never seems to get a partner without natural ability. Will be interesting to see if Artem returns what sort of partner he is given, IIRC returning SCD winning pros haven't usually lucked out twice in a row! ;)
  • jacksinclairxjacksinclairx Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True Sally, DWTS is pretty messed up in that respect as the same pro's usually get the cream of the crop every season, i think that was why poor Edyta Sliwinska left due to being there every season and getting a duff nearly every time :p I do think Artem might struggle a bit with less capable celebs but now that SCD has suddenly being DWTS-ified they might put him with someone good again next year
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not for me. Derek is a cute little boy I'd bake cookies for. Artem is ... well let's just say if I met him, baking would be the last thing on my mind ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not for me. Derek is a cute little boy I'd bake cookies for. Artem is ... well let's just say if I met him, baking would be the last thing on my mind ;)

Kinky ;)
  • Jan2555*GG*Jan2555*GG* Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think its hard to make a comparison to be honest

Looks.....very different Artem has a much more 'grown up' look than Derek

Routines.....Artem has produced some great dances and I am eager to see more but Derek has produced some amazing routines over several series and at the moment I am not sure there is anyone on Strictly that could touch him.....and before you all jump on me I love most of the pros on Strictly and they have produced some great routines but Derek has something extra for me in SOME of his routines.

Teacher....Artem is new to Strictly and had a fabulous partner we dont know what he can do with someone not so talented...however having said that Derek nearly always gets a great partner (I think because the producers of DWTS dont want him to be out of the competition too soon) so he hasnt really been tested either.
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He'll get the old granny next year.
  • peevepeeve Posts: 3,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_abbott wrote: »
    He'll get the old granny next year.

Oh good! You mean, like James Jordan got the granny and got to the final?
  • Alli-FAlli-F Posts: 32,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God, I hope not, I really dislike Hough and his trampy sister! :rolleyes: He's so don't even know the word for it, creepy, asexual, creepy, vain, boring, self-obsessed and creepy.

Artem is hot, sexy, a brilliant choreographer and seems like a nice man. Derek is like a whiny 5 year old in comparison.

Maybe I'll tell you how I really feel in a minute. ;)
  • PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After all the hype of the new pro's this season especially the lovely Artem who has proved himself as a great partner, teacher and choreographer he reminds me so much of Derek Hough from DWTS, anyone else agree? Derek always seems to bring the best out in his celeb partners and i think Artem could do the same, now that he has won with Kara i'm sure he will be a dead cert for the next season

Discuss :D

It's only his first series, he hasn't been tested yet.
    Any pro worth his salt should have gone to the closing stages of SCD with an excellent dancer like Kara .

Artem's real test will be to see how he copes with the likes of someone like a Fiona Philips, Jan Raven, Michelle Williams etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alli-F wrote: »
    God, I hope not, I really dislike Hough and his trampy sister! :rolleyes: He's so don't even know the word for it, creepy, asexual, creepy, vain, boring, self-obsessed and creepy.

Artem is hot, sexy, a brilliant choreographer and seems like a nice man. Derek is like a whiny 5 year old in comparison.

Maybe I'll tell you how I really feel in a minute. ;)

Thank you! I could not for the life of me work out what it was about him that I just didn't take to. I'd choose Artem over Derek any day of the week. ;)
  • Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read Len said Derek is the best male Professional around (or something like that, maybe the direct quote can be turfed up)?

But for someone who hasn't seen Derek dance and only knows him by his face (in magazines related to Cheryl stories) thats quite a compliment from Len, no? So this scrunchy faced blonde dancer must be rather spectacular.
  • Alli-FAlli-F Posts: 32,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miriam_R wrote: »
    I read Len said Derek is the best male Professional around (or something like that, maybe the direct quote can be turfed up)?

But for someone who hasn't seen Derek dance and only knows him by his face (in magazines related to Cheryl stories) thats quite a compliment from Len, no? So this scrunchy faced blonde dancer must be rather spectacular.

I don't like his dancing either. He's a bit like a very flashy Matt Cutler, dances very effeminately and really overuses his hips imo. I can't stand watching him dance.
  • fabulistfabulist Posts: 504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Artem is great but the dancing and choreography Derek produces is on another planet to any pro on either DWTS or SCD.
  • Caramel CrunchCaramel Crunch Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Derek's fantastic. He is the best male pro by a country mile on DWTS.
    I would love to see him on SCD.
  • Lili27Lili27 Posts: 2,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is comparing apples to oranges but I can see the comparison as they are both very good at choreo. Artem has been spectacular this year and hopefully with a less talented partner next year he can show that he can also choreograph to her strengths.

I will say that while Derek may not have sex appeal his creative genius with choreography and dancing are incredible. He was given several themes to come up with and he never faltered. Themes that would have thrown another pro such as a "futuristic" paso. He has also choreographed excellent showdances every time he has gotten his celeb to the finals. So winning 3 times was in the cards for him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not for me sorry, I love Derek but dislike Artem for some reason.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lili27 wrote: »
    I think it is comparing apples to oranges but I can see the comparison as they are both very good at choreo. Artem has been spectacular this year and hopefully with a less talented partner next year he can show that he can also choreograph to her strengths.

I will say that while Derek may not have sex appeal his creative genius with choreography and dancing are incredible. He was given several themes to come up with and he never faltered. Themes that would have thrown another pro such as a "futuristic" paso. He has also choreographed excellent showdances every time he has gotten his celeb to the finals. So winning 3 times was in the cards for him.

Joanna Krupa's Futurisitic Paso is my all time favourite DWTS dance (Evan Lysaceks Paso is also amazing)
  • Jan2555*GG*Jan2555*GG* Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He is SO much more than Cheryl Coles bit on the side and Len is right he is a spectacular dancer......obviously not everyones cup of tea....but each to his own.....I would love to see him on Strictly but I dont think they could afford him unless it was his own choice for personal reasons.
  • NooneNoone Posts: 6,048
    Forum Member

Amen to that.
  • NooneNoone Posts: 6,048
    Forum Member
    I don't like his dancing either. He's a bit like a very flashy Matt Cutler, dances very effeminately and really overuses his hips imo. I can't stand watching him dance.

Yes! Not the Matt Cutler part but I don't like Derek's hippy, effeminate style either. I was trying to work out why I didn't love him - when I was watching some of DWTS - and I think this is exactly it.
  • pasodabblepasodabble Posts: 5,865
    Forum Member
    I think its hard to make a comparison to be honest

Looks.....very different Artem has a much more 'grown up' look than Derek

Routines.....Artem has produced some great dances and I am eager to see more but Derek has produced some amazing routines over several series and at the moment I am not sure there is anyone on Strictly that could touch him.....and before you all jump on me I love most of the pros on Strictly and they have produced some great routines but Derek has something extra for me in SOME of his routines.

Teacher....Artem is new to Strictly and had a fabulous partner we dont know what he can do with someone not so talented...however having said that Derek nearly always gets a great partner (I think because the producers of DWTS dont want him to be out of the competition too soon) so he hasnt really been tested either.

I agree with this, especially the bit in bold. However regarding always getting a great partner, remember he had Lil Kim 3 or 4 seasons ago and although she looked like she was a natural dancer, I think their relative longevity was down to some of the his very creative choreography.

Derek is the only pro on either show (SCD and DWTS) who I feel gets substantial votes in his own right each series, i.e. enough to get to the business end of the competition. I'm sure the producers know this, hence them always wanting to keep him sweet.
  • marinamaumarinamau Posts: 4,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well, I would cook fondant au chocolat for Artem, if that would make him more incline to come to my house. But once in the house, no baking. ;)

Completely agree. Love derek's choreo (I like Matts too, but less), but as dancer no, I can;t take to Derek. I love watching Artem dance, because he dances you see a man dancer rather than just a dancer.