Rude rude and more rude!

mebiscuitmebiscuit Posts: 327
Forum Member
Yes as the title suggests, what is going on with the human race recently? Has everybody adopted an I don't care about my fellow citizen attitude! Decided to have a bit of an exploration day today and in between meat up with a friend, this involved a few changes of trains, now I use train travel frequently and most of the time its fine but today I came across so many rude people.
Has anyone else noticed a drop in the standard of conduct recently?

Comments

• archiverarchiver Posts: 13,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's probably the reverse of the 'pass it forward' thing (you do something nice for someone and they're obliged to do so for someone else etc.). Could have started with some trivial incident which made someone grumpy and they took it out on someone else etc. Could quickly make a whole carriage/train/service/world miserable. But mainly I blame the weather...

Not that I've noticed, on my very limited travels today, or recently.
  • Audio RebelAudio Rebel Posts: 1,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've noticed folk are generally more miserable & unsociable over the past couple of years.
    It's not the best time for the UK economically which doesn't give many a reason to be somewhat chipper.
  • peonpeon Posts: 1,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i haven't really noticed this. i try and stay upbeat and friendly with people i meet and find they're often the same in return. walk through life with a permanent black cloud over your head and you find that attitude often reciprocated.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    You get what you give out.

I get a mix because on any given day my mood changes about a hundred times and I tend to get the same in return.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    I see a lot of people walking around with faces like sour ballsacks.

I don't know whether to find it funny or pathetic to be honest.

I do find it infuriating when people tut and huff instead of saying or asking something though.
  • crazyguyz999crazyguyz999 Posts: 1,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I don't really notice anything different, because I work in customer service. So thats says it all. But yes people are always bloody rude on a daily basis anyway, e.g no please or thank you, not holding doors open, not moving out of your path and just in general. One thing I do hate though is miserable B*stards who thinks its acceptable to talk and look at you like crap, just because of how their day has been or whatever...
    Forum Member
    Well, I don't really notice anything different, because I work in customer service. So thats says it all. But yes people are always bloody rude on a daily basis anyway, e.g no please or thank you, not holding doors open, not moving out of your path and just in general. One thing I do hate though is miserable B*stards who thinks its acceptable to talk and look at you like crap, just because of how their day has been or whatever...

Yes, that's very true. Especially when they say some caustic comment and know you can't answer back.
  • crazyguyz999crazyguyz999 Posts: 1,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeoBa92 wrote: »
    Yes, that's very true. Especially when they say some caustic comment and know you can't answer back.
    Yes. I just bite my tongue. I actually find it amusing how pathetic some people can be. And like you said, 'huff' and 'tutting', that has got to be the most annoying thing ever...

I don't really answer back but I put them straight, if I know they are out of line with the way they speak to me or get rude. I won't
    let them walk all over me. I am civil, 'theres no need to be rude to me' I had to say to some customer the other day and they shut up. But they still acted all stroppy. I did get quite frustrated, but its hard to stay in the correct frame of mind when people get like they do.

It actually is quite pathetic and petty, what some people will do or act, to be honest. Highly annoying.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think people and society in general are declining. We seem to have become civilized in a manner and now are heading back to barbary.
  • Thank youThank you Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I encounter the same problems. I went into a shop on Wednesday and the woman in the shop gave me such a dirty look, no please or thank you when I gave her the money and when she gave me my change. :mad:
    Forum Member
    Yes. I just bite my tongue. I actually find it amusing how pathetic some people can be. And like you said, 'huff' and 'tutting', that has got to be the most annoying thing ever...

I don't really answer back but I put them straight, if I know they are out of line with the way they speak to me or get rude. I won't
    let them walk all over me. I am civil, 'theres no need to be rude to me' I had to say to some customer the other day and they shut up. But they still acted all stroppy. I did get quite frustrated, but its hard to stay in the correct frame of mind when people get like they do.

It actually is quite pathetic and petty, what some people will do or act, to be honest. Highly annoying.

Yes, very true. I can remember when one woman came into where I work in November last year.

Initially, she had her husband come in to us to pick up her prescription. The item that it was for was out of stock and problems with the manufacturer meant that we were unsure when it would be in. We said there were a few to get her by and asked whether he wanted to take them. He said no and left on good terms.

A woman then comes in an hour later with the same man and she comes to the till with a few bulky items from the shop all happy and smily. She then asks for the same prescription that she had her husband come in for earlier. I find it and go out to tell her that "we haven't got this item al in stock, but..."

At this point, I was going to say "we have some to get you by, do you want to take these for now and come back for the rest?", but she starts shouting! She was effing and blinding about how she apparently keeps us in business, how disgsuting I am and how she pays my wages, how she knows the manager (she doesn't) and she's going to get me sacked etc. I offered her prescription back to her which she then said that "I'd better not have tampered with the prescription or there would be trouble".

The pharmacist who I worked with then comes out and she completely calms down! :eek: The pharmacist explained that we had some in stock, to which she starts shouting "I was never told that by your colleague". She was never told 'that' because she didn't let me finish speaking, just started shouting over me! :mad:

Anyway, before she went, she left the bulky items on the till glared at me viciously and jabs her finger at me and said "YOU can put all that back for me". She stormed out only begore pushing the pull door, so may have not been as dramatic as what she was going for! :D

This was on a busy Saturday with a shop full of people as well! :( The husband's face was like a beacon though! :D

To be honest, I just put it down to the fact that some people feel so powerless that they need someone to take it out on. Because we can't answer back, we're perfect targets.
  • jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    mebiscuit wrote: »
    in between meat up with a friend,

Rather crude euphemism!

:)
  • jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    A few years ago I was subjected to a tirade of abuse from a young woman, for the heinous crime of holding the door open for her.

Sexist, apparently. Even though I happily also held the door open for the man who followed her.

Nowt so strange as folk.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arwen29 wrote: »
    You get what you give out

I don't understand why people believe this. I've had many instances where I've been as polite as could be and have had nothing but rudeness in return.

How do you explain that?
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    A please and a thank you, goes a long way. Often lacking nowadays.
  • spikydogspikydog Posts: 1,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nyota wrote: »
    I don't understand why people believe this. I've had many instances where I've been as polite as could be and have had nothing but rudeness in return.

How do you explain that?

What goes around comes around? Bollocks. I tried for years and got walked all over. I will pass the door to someone following me through but won't hold it for someone a few steps behind only to get treated like a doorman.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I rescued a woman who hadn't done physics at school. She said "thank you".
  • BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People aren't more or less rude than they were before at all.

It used to irritate me as a teenager that I'd get filthy looks, sneers and people thinking they could comment on my appearance just 'because' I was 15. By the very same people who'd then complain about lack of respect 'these days'.

Too many people expect what they're not willing to give, from others.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't get me started on rude people. I work in a shop and while the majority of customers are lovely, you get the odd few you think that you're just there to take their abuse because they're well aware that you can't give it back. It's almost like these people don't realise you're an actual person, just like them, with a life outside of work, a family, feelings. But they only see you as some kind of emotionless robot who just stands and scans, and won't be hurt by their rudeness. I could have 9 wonderful customers in a row, and then 1 awful one, and it'll be that one that will be on my mind for the rest of the day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeoBa92 wrote: »
    I see a lot of people walking around with faces like sour ballsacks.

I don't know whether to find it funny or pathetic to be honest.

I do find it infuriating when people tut and huff instead of saying or asking something though.

I do not understand the law of the supermarket jungle, but if someone is standing getting a paper or whatever, I wait until they have finished to get what I want, 9 times out of 10 they turn around and give you a dirty look, like "what the f*ck do you want". Maybe I should just shove them out of the way
  • Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    mebiscuit wrote: »
    Yes as the title suggests, what is going on with the human race recently? Has everybody adopted an I don't care about my fellow citizen attitude! Decided to have a bit of an exploration day today and in between meat up with a friend, this involved a few changes of trains, now I use train travel frequently and most of the time its fine but today I came across so many rude people.
    Has anyone else noticed a drop in the standard of conduct recently?
    Kinda sounds like fun........ :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,432
    Forum Member
    Pretty much as normal, a mixture of people in good and bad moods - how much you take it to heart tends to depend on your own mood.

I went through a green light the other day - to find an oncoming car speeding through a narrow gap in my way - I honked to let him know he was about to face a stream on oncoming traffic and he told me to eff off.

I could have spent a few minutes bemoaning the world - but I just found it funny and it may me laugh out loud.
  • Beau_SoirBeau_Soir Posts: 1,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peon wrote: »
    i haven't really noticed this. i try and stay upbeat and friendly with people i meet and find they're often the same in return. walk through life with a permanent black cloud over your head and you find that attitude often reciprocated.

Agree with this. Wasn't there are similar thread started last week?
  • Beau_SoirBeau_Soir Posts: 1,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nyota wrote: »

How do you explain that?

You weren't as polite as you thought.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh for the days of old, like the Brief Encounter era, so polite and courteous, that time will never come again, with the general trend going towards absolute rude angry people, I could not face tesco today, my husband is away, I knew it would put me on a downer:(