Is the name Sky "Electronic Programme Guide" dated?

RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,335
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I think that the name "Electronic" programme Guide was dated at it's inception.

IIRC Sky first used it in 1998. The name reminds me of a 1970's description of an "Electronic" calculator.

...also how else do they believe that we think it was powered...gas lol

Having said that, what else could it be called?

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,506
    Forum Member
    Do you thing the TLA BBC is dated as well?, 'British' is so old fachioned :D

EPG makes perfect sense, does what it says, it would be stupid to try and change it (bit like trying to change the name of the Post Office!).
  • bbvbbv Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's dated for sure but it's one of those terms that will stick, like the shop Carphone Warehouse for example.

Its a term used by all set top boxes, not just sky though.
  • SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,457
    Forum Member
    There's still the Radio Times in both paper & electronic form, so the Sky one is well-enough named.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that the name "Electronic" programme Guide was dated at it's inception.

IIRC Sky first used it in 1998. The name reminds me of a 1970's description of an "Electronic" calculator.

Having said that, what else could it be called?

I don't think I recall Sky actually referring to it as the "Sky Electronic Programme Guide" - it seems to be us users that use the term "EPG"

Sky themselves used to use "Sky Guide" and more recently "TV Guide"
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you thing the TLA BBC is dated as well?, 'British' is so old fachioned :D

EPG makes perfect sense, does what it says, it would be stupid to try and change it (bit like trying to change the name of the Post Office!).

I think it would be pointless to try and change it now.
    bbv wrote: »
    It's dated for sure but it's one of those terms that will stick, like the shop Carphone Warehouse for example.

Its a term used by all set top boxes, not just sky though.

It was Sky who used it first in 1998. I believe others followed suit.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it would be pointless to try and change it now.

It was Sky who used it first in 1998. I believe others followed suit.

It was first used in 1981 in the USA; Electronic Program Guide was a channel on cable networks showing on screen TV listings. It has evolved into TV Guide Network today.
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    t was Sky who used it first in 1998. I believe others followed suit.

EPG was quite a common phrase in the mid 1990s - And I think it was in the D2MAC sepc of 1992/3 .
    there is also
    ETS 300 707
    Electronic Programme Guide (EPG); Protocol for a TV Guide using electronic data transmission May 1997

which is also known at NexTVieW.
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Were Sky the first to put it into common usage in the UK?

The NexTVieW idea is very good.
  • StuartPlymouthStuartPlymouth Posts: 1,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a generic term, so it's here to stay, despite the fact that they are more than just a 'guide' these days.

Technically, I suppose it's really a "Programme Schedule and Recording Interface".....but I'm sure some of the more clever DSers can come up with something which abbreviates to a far more interesting combination than PSRI....:D