Safe to say the real winner IS Matt Baker- why ?this is why

taniawolktaniawolk Posts: 268
Forum Member
Strictly Come Dancing runner-up Matt Baker has been handed a contract for The One Show

by Mark Jefferies, Daily Mirror 21/12/2010

STRICTLY runner-up Matt Baker has been formally offered a place on The One Show sofa and is expected to accept later this week.

The Countryfile host, who just missed out in Saturday’s Strictly Come Dancing final, has been handed a deal thought to be worth £200,000.

If he signs, he will team up with co-host Alex Jones, 32, in the new year.

Matt will host Monday to Thursday nights, with Chris Evans on Fridays.

A source close to the 32-year-old said: “Before he signs, the things important to him are to continue working on Countryfile and to go on the Strictly tour next year.

“It looks like he will be able to do both those things and present The One Show, so he’s happy.”

Matt will replace *comedian Jason Manford who quit the BBC show after confessing to online sex chats.

Read more: http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/tv/2010/12/21/strictly-come-dancing-runner-up-matt-baker-has-been-handed-a-contract-for-the-one-show-115875-22797184/#ixzz18hejVIsl

Thats excluding the money he gets for Countryfile and his other work.ie commentary work for various sports etc.

SCD raised his profile, got him a fanbase and showed the BBC he can multi task big time.

Comments

• SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    taniawolk wrote: »
    Strictly Come Dancing runner-up Matt Baker has been handed a contract for The One Show

STRICTLY runner-up Matt Baker has been formally offered a place on The One Show sofa and is expected to accept later this week.

The Countryfile host, who just missed out in Saturday’s Strictly Come Dancing final, has been handed a deal thought to be worth £200,000.

Read more: http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/tv/2010/12/21/strictly-come-dancing-runner-up-matt-baker-has-been-handed-a-contract-for-the-one-show-115875-22797184/#ixzz18hYsRX7D

Thats excluding the money he gets for Countryfile and his other work.ie commentary work for various sports etc.

I thought I read somewhere yesterday he has rejected The One Show offer and will be doing Countryfile 'full-time'???
  • labasheedylabasheedy Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well, he's a very capable and charismatic person, (imho) so good luck to him and look forward to seeing him on tv :)
  • Candy StoreCandy Store Posts: 5,125
    Forum Member
    I thought I read somewhere yesterday he has rejected The One Show offer and will be doing Countryfile 'full-time'???

That would be a turn-up as his One Show contract would mean that he couldn't take part in the tour and that was suspected to be the reason the show didn't want to risk him winning if they could help it.
  • labasheedylabasheedy Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he's still showing on the line-up on the strictly tour website.

http://www.strictlycomedancinglive.com/the-line-up/celebrity-dancers/celebrity-dancers-2011-2/
  • mirandawebmirandaweb Posts: 3,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's certainly quite lovely so I'd be happy to see him wandering round doing Ben Fogle type stuff on TV (as long as they keep Ben Fogle as well!)
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt Baker will get a lot of offers made to him and he will no doubt seize his opportunities.
  • Fatima502Fatima502 Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    Let's not forget he was a pretty good commentator for Gymnastics at the last Olympics and I feel sure BBC Sport would (now) want to to contribute for London 2012.

He's a safe pair of hands. (Unlike his One Show predecessor whose hands must have been rather sticky by all accounts)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fatima502 wrote: »
    Let's not forget he was a pretty good commentator for Gymnastics at the last Olympics and I feel sure BBC Sport would (now) want to to contribute for London 2012.

Not to mention One Man and His Dog! :p

I'm happy for him, if this is what he wants. I'm also pleased that he stood his ground about Countryfile because that was the make-or-break part for him.
  • genieinabottlegenieinabottle Posts: 1,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thrilled for him and of course I always knew he'd get the most from this series. Class will out. Really looking forward to seeing him on my screen most nights.
  • genieinabottlegenieinabottle Posts: 1,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the fans suggestion that he does a series on Martial Arts. Brilliant idea. Think of the possibilities. Someone suggested the BBC follow him train to do Bruce Lee style stunt work. Love it. Just love it.
  • Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    Think Matt is terrific. I am a sucker for a nice happy guy who obviously love his wife and kids. No doubt if could have manufactured a "SCD Romance" with Aliona he would have won the show!!! He seems such a decent guy I am sure he will do well in TV presenting. Thought his wife was lovely and loved the way she called him "Matthew"!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He'll do whatever he wants to do - and the best of success to him!
    I think he's too well grounded to let any of the Strictly limelight go to his head. And with his new-found love of dancing, I'd bet my TV that he will do the full tour.
    The ONe Show will always be there for late.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "The One Show" despite being a bit of week-day early evening "fluff" will be pretty much a full time job for him with Countryfile.
    Can't see if he is working on both, that he'll also be able to be on the tour.
  • bloggingbellebloggingbelle Posts: 1,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a Countryfile addict, I certainly hope he maintains his commitment to that more than the One Show. Although the prospect of him interviewing Len Goodman on the One Show is mouth watering.

Matt's star was in the ascendency before SCD not because of it - Nice to see someone like him get on in life.
  • phoebefairphoebefair Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "The One Show" despite being a bit of week-day early evening "fluff" will be pretty much a full time job for him with Countryfile.
    Can't see if he is working on both, that he'll also be able to be on the tour.

I may have misheard but didn't he say several times on Saturday that he was sad because this was the last time he'd be dancing with Aliona? That doesn't fit with doing the Tour.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    phoebefair wrote: »
    I may have misheard but didn't he say several times on Saturday that he was sad because this was the last time he'd be dancing with Aliona? That doesn't fit with doing the Tour.

In a radio interview on Friday he was certainly doing the tour.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,062
    Forum Member
    Well I'm suffering from severe Matt Baker withdrawal symptoms so will be more than happy to see him on my screen every night. I shall be watching The One Show avidly, except for Fridays of course.
  • MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The tour is something organised by CRH and is not necessarily sanctioned by the BBC - there seems to be no reference to it on the web site.
  • sofakatsofakat Posts: 16,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, let's get this straight - he carries on with Countryfile and he's got landed with the One Show slot permanently. That's good - he still has a TV career of sorts, but it's not exactly a step up is it?

Great for his fans to be able to see him in the same shows... not that I watch either one of them...but what's new? What has he won exactly?

Surely he will miss Aliona, the sequins and a dancefloor? What will fill that gap?
  • almostblondealmostblonde Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    Well I am obviously on my own with this because I could not take to Matt, I did not find him at all charismatic or endearing, sorry.:(
  • Alli-FAlli-F Posts: 32,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I am obviously on my own with this because I could not take to Matt, I did not find him at all charismatic or endearing, sorry.:(

You're not on your own hun, complete personality vacuum imo. ;) He's nice, professional, good at his job but soooooo :yawn:
  • MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Same here. :yawn:

We all knew he had been offered the One Show half way through the series. This just looks like someone trying to create a win for Matt out of already known information :rolleyes:

Still doesn't make him the winner of series 8.
  • IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    taniawolk wrote: »

A source close to the 32-year-old said: “Before he signs, the things important to him are to continue working on Countryfile and to go on the Strictly tour next year.

“It looks like he will be able to do both those things and present The One Show, so he’s happy.”

Matt will replace *comedian Jason Manford who quit the BBC show after confessing to online sex chats.

Read more: http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/tv/2010/12/21/strictly-come-dancing-runner-up-matt-baker-has-been-handed-a-contract-for-the-one-show-115875-22797184/#ixzz18hejVIsl

SCD raised his profile, got him a fanbase and showed the BBC he can multi task big time.

Haven't we discussed this ad infinitum on other threads?
  • lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I barely noticed him until the Halloween special when he had his hair all spiked and eye make up on and looked a dead ringer (IMO) for Brandon Flowers! Yum :D
  • LazySusanLazySusan Posts: 6,413
    Forum Member
    He often stood in on The One Show before he did Strictly and people were saying he was good and they ought to have him on it permanently so we don't really know if he has been offered the role full time because of it or not.