Ever had a £50 note refused?

culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
Forum Member
✭✭
Today for the first time in my life a shop (where I have been a customer for 4 years I may add) refused to accept my £50 note as payment for a £10 item. The owner claimed she had insufficient change in her till which I'm convinced is absolute BS since this was early evening and the shop is an always busy, early morning til late at night newsagent-cum-corner shop, with daily takings of I imagine easily four figures.

So have you ever had your lawful tender refused by a shop? If so how did you feel about it?

Comments

• JordanT91JordanT91 Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never seen a £50 note.
  • queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never, although I can't remember the last time I saw a £50 note.

She's a bit silly and lost your trade.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of those corner shops are a joke.

I went in one up the road from me to collect £40 I'd won on the lottery and they didn't have enough to pay me. Don't the lottery operators check these people out to see if they can pay out?
  • Mike HawkeMike Hawke Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    Worst "I'm loaded" thread ever!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JordanT91 wrote: »

Me neither!
  • QTC13QTC13 Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mike Hawke wrote: »
    Worst "I'm loaded" thread ever!!

Totally agree.

If this was facebook I'd be ticking to say I like it:D (your comment I mean not the 'status')
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member
    A £50 note for £10 worth of stuff? I think I would have not-so-politely told you where to go as well.
  • Weigh-ManWeigh-Man Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem is because shops don't see them very often it would be easy for them to take a forgery and then the shop is £50 out of pocket. That's a lot of money for your average corner shop.
  • x_malibubabex_malibubabe Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never had a fifty to be refused but I have refused many in my old job, it was always the knobs at the start of the night who'd pay for a round of £1 drinks with it, totalling about a fiver and I only had £15 in the till! :rolleyes:

I have had to refuse one and the police were involved once, as the triangle thing wasn't rubbing any colour off (that's how I've been told to check if they're real lol), turned out he'd been putting fakes in the till all night. :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JordanT91 wrote: »

I have, but it wasn't mine.

I've had a bank of scotland £10 note refused in Asda once, as Micheal Macentyre said ''you give it to them and it's like you've handed them a dead baby.'' They refused point blank to take it.
  • LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Sir John Houblon in other words.

I used to work in retail, never refused one but always double checked to make sure it wasn't a forgery.
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LemonGrove wrote: »
    A £50 note for £10 worth of stuff? I think I would have not-so-politely told you where to go as well.

And why is that? It simply requires giving two (£20) notes in change. Hardly a complex transaction. Particularly since the woman had hundreds of pounds in her till.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of smaller shops use counter-caches, where they have to deposit notes from their tills.

One chain has a policy of no more than £100 in notes in the till. Cashier chuffs a bunch of notes into the cache, then next 2 customers pay by card, and want cashback. That then wipes that tills notes, to maybe £10 or £20. So I can understand that sometimes a cashier will not have enough notes in their till to give change for £50 or pay out a lottery win.
  • LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cosmo wrote: »

I went in one up the road from me to collect £40 I'd won on the lottery and they didn't have enough to pay me. Don't the lottery operators check these people out to see if they can pay out?

All Lottery outlets are supposed to be able to pay up to £100 in cash prizes. Between £100 and £500 you can ask them if will award that amount - probably from actual lotto kiosks and big superstores.
    I have, but it wasn't mine.

I've had a bank of scotland £10 note refused in Asda once, as Micheal Macentyre said ''you give it to them and it's like you've handed them a dead baby.'' They refused point blank to take it.

Even better if you hand them an Ulster note!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member
    cultureman wrote: »
    And why is that? It simply requires giving two (£20) notes in change. Hardly a complex transaction. Particularly since the woman had hundreds of pounds in her till.

Do you not think it takes the piss a little, overpaying by £40 in a smaller shop? Like those who get on buses and pay the £1.30 fair with a £20 note.
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LemonGrove wrote: »
    Do you not think it takes the piss a little, overpaying by £40 in a smaller shop? Like those who get on buses and pay the £1.30 fair with a £20 note.

As I said before, ability to give change wasn't the problem it was attitudinal; the perverse pleasure some people get from being deliberately unhelpful. I'm sure if I went back to the same shop on another day with a similar note and asked another member of staff, there'd be no problem with breaking a fifty.
  • CheapthrillsCheapthrills Posts: 2,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paying out for lottery winnings and taking large notes screws with their float.
  • radiosgaloreradiosgalore Posts: 5,348
    Forum Member
    i used to see plenty of £50 notes when i worked at a petrol station. People in large vehicles who spent loads tended to have them. Never had one myself though
  • danletodanleto Posts: 2,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know I wouldn't want to give £40 in change that's just stupid.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I said before, ability to give change wasn't the problem it was attitudinal; the perverse pleasure some people get from being deliberately unhelpful. I'm sure if I went back to the same shop on another day with a similar note and asked another member of staff, there'd be no problem with breaking a fifty.

How do you know how much, in notes, she had in her till?
  • CheapthrillsCheapthrills Posts: 2,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    danleto wrote: »

It's less about having to give £40 out in change and more to do with the fact they will have one note they won't realistically be able to use for change.
  • Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get 50 notes quite often from my 'customers'.

I bank them, I would never dream of trying to use them in the corner shop. It's just looking for conflict isn't it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Today for the first time in my life a shop (where I have been a customer for 4 years I may add) refused to accept my £50 note as payment for a £10 item. The owner claimed she had insufficient change in her till which I'm convinced is absolute BS since this was early evening and the shop is an always busy, early morning til late at night newsagent-cum-corner shop, with daily takings of I imagine easily four figures.

Newsagents are not banks with never ending money. They may have banked the money by then (early evening is prime time for robberies). She might have put the money in a safe and does not have access to open it (you know those flap down one way things). They might have made a large payout on the lottery depleting their till money, or they might have paid out on western union or other items they do. They might even have taken the cash to go to cash and carry.

There are many reasons why a shop may not have the money. We will always change £50 notes if we can because obviously 50's are easier to bank - you can bank a lot of money without having to carry a big wadge.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cosmo wrote: »

This is a little strange. A retailer will not know until it is scanned how much the payout value is worth. The retailer has a maximum amount set into their terminal which they are willing to pay - ours is set at £100 but we can override it if we have the cash. Anything under £100 will automatically accept the ticket and print a receipt for the payout. I find it odd that a retailer would have a maximum limit set at under £40 although it is possible. Did she try and scan the ticket?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    danleto wrote: »

It's 2 £20 notes, I imagine shops must take alot of them. Hardly handing out a load of pound coins and silver.

Personally I bank them though, had one customer pay me £1000 in £50 notes.