Annie Mac's first show replacing Zane on Radio 1

RandomPeter94RandomPeter94 Posts: 4,935
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What do you all think of Annie Mac's first show replacing Zane?

Comments

• nikobatallonesnikobatallones Posts: 4,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listening to it right now, and it's clear she's still trying to find her way through the new time slot. But it looks promising, as she's playing what seems to me is a deeper selection of tracks (tempo-wise, genre-wise) than Zane.

Let's give her a couple of months? She (and her producers) have a lot of tinkering to do over that time.
  • thelockupthelockup Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    its too soon, i listened last night and all i could think about was Zane. ITS TOO SOON!!!!!
  • RandomPeter94RandomPeter94 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listening to it right now, and it's clear she's still trying to find her way through the new time slot. But it looks promising, as she's playing what seems to me is a deeper selection of tracks (tempo-wise, genre-wise) than Zane.

Let's give her a couple of months? She (and her producers) have a lot of tinkering to do over that time.

Yeah I'm impressed with the larger variety of genres. Zane played too much Rock imo. So yeah, looks good so far.
  • TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    Bizarrely inaccurate article in The Independent http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/annie-mac-on-being-the-first-woman-to-take-over-from-zane-lowes-radio-1-weekday-evening-show-10094589.html . Quite apart from the fact that the headline makes no sense ('The first woman to take over from Zane Lowe's Radio 1 weekday evening show' implies that there have been some male presenters between Zane Lowe and Annie Mac. Clearly there haven't.) it's also inaccurate. Back in the 1980s both Janice Long and Liz Kershaw presented the mid-evening rock show solo. The Independent really shouldn't go around believing Radio One's press releases, or being too lazy to do research that would have took all of two minutes of a Google search.
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised they didn't put in a cover presenter for a week or two, like when Moyles left breakfast, maybe they could have used Phil Taggart for a week as a breather.

I suppose its different as Zane keeps being mentioned, talking about how it's big shoes to fill and how they will be building on the success of that show, whereas when Moyles left it was comparable to swearing if anyone even mentioned his name again.
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I'm impressed with the larger variety of genres. Zane played too much Rock imo. So yeah, looks good so far.

But that would balance with Fridays being dance music.
    Actually when I last heard Zane at work, Momday did seem more rock, but by Thursday the Rock was gone.

At the end of the day,,Radio 1 has to appeal a wide range of music tastes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But that would balance with Fridays being dance music.
    Actually when I last heard Zane at work, Momday did seem more rock, but by Thursday the Rock was gone.

At the end of the day,,Radio 1 has to appeal a wide range of music tastes.
    I'll say it's a cycle. If there were a lot of big guitar releases (unlike the premiere which only had the Mumfords) I bet Annie would play that up, too.
  • merrim01merrim01 Posts: 2,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The evening show has normally always be more rock orientated but to be fair if thy are playing slightly more other genres that's fair enough. Maybe this was the plan to reflect the daytime playlist a little better. Plus the Sunday night show is all rock now so it does balance things up a bit more.
  • iain_stevenson1iain_stevenson1 Posts: 1,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do you all think of Annie Mac's first show replacing Zane?

It has to be said she's much more pleasant on the ear than Zane !
  • merrim01merrim01 Posts: 2,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The great thing about Annie is she has been around a long time on Radio 1 so it's not so much of a shock to people who have been listening to Zane. A good choice I think, the only other person I would have chosen was Huw Stephens but as he's only just been given the late night slot it would have made no sense to move him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    merrim01 wrote: »
    The great thing about Annie is she has been around a long time on Radio 1 so it's not so much of a shock to people who have been listening to Zane. A good choice I think, the only other person I would have chosen was Huw Stephens but as he's only just been given the late night slot it would have made no sense to move him.
    I think Huw's perfect where he is. Zane's (and Annie's, now) show was always about the crossover between daytime and nighttime, and Huw has the freedom to break more acts, and get generally weirder, on lates.
  • TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    Did anyone notice Annie's little tribute to Annie Nightingale, R1's first female presenter, by simply saying 'Hi' as her first link over the opening bars of the first track, exactly as Annie N. used to do?
  • RandomPeter94RandomPeter94 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TUC wrote: »
    Did anyone notice Annie's little tribute to Annie Nightingale, R1's first female presenter, by simply saying 'Hi' as her first link over the opening bars of the first track, exactly as Annie N. used to do?

I remember her just saying "Hi" then. Didn't know it's what Annie Nightingale used to do though! If that "Hi" was an intentional tribute to Nightingale, all credit to Annie Mac.