Options

British Republic

itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Would you like Britain to become a republic?

Do you think it would make any difference to how politics operate in the UK?
I would create a poll asking "Do you want the United Kingdom to become a republic?"

Yes

No

But I am not allowed.:D

I hear there is a republican movement, but prefer to have a monarch.

I would create a poll asking "Do you want the United Kingdom to become a republic? 113 votes

Yes
33% 38 votes
No
66% 75 votes

Comments

• Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    I would vote against a republic, and I suspect about 65-70% of the public would too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cryolemon wrote: »
    I would vote against a republic, and I suspect about 65-70% of the public would too.

Yes at the moment when we have a queen, but what if it king Charles?
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    Anybody who wants to become "President" should automatically be disqualified from standing.

So to have someone who has no say in the matter, becoming Head of State, actually makes a lot of sense as they can do no real harm, but are the ultimate sanction if the elected Ministers go too far.

Watch "The Audience" play for how things may operate.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EVerything would be exactly the same, but with a president instead of a monarch.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    Aneechik wrote: »
    EVerything would be exactly the same, but with a president instead of a monarch.

There would be no silly titles (HM, HRH) or bowing and curtseying for a start!

HMRC, Royal Mail etc might have to change their names.

The Royal palaces could be opened up to visitors.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »

There would still be titles as in America.

The Royal palaces are already open to the public in some cases, although it caused a stir.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There would still be titles as in America.

The only title would be President presumably? Nothing like all this "His Royal Highness" nonsense!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only title would be President presumably? Nothing like all this "His Royal Highness" nonsense!

Yes it seems you are correct, only the President.

The US constitution forbids titles.:D
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This is all just gravy. A few institutions changing their names and people not having to use titles that they already don't have to use is hardly radical change.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    I'd support it if the leader were selected using a lottery system. It's pretty much how we currently do it only we're opening up the gene pool a bit and it's temporary rather than for life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aneechik wrote: »
    This is all just gravy. A few institutions changing their names and people not having to use titles that they already don't have to use is hardly radical change.

Scrapping the Royals is the radical change.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting article here.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/the-great-british-republic-as-the-royal-family-crisis-deepens-michael-fathers-peeps-into-a-crystal-ball-that-shows-a-fateful-evening-in-the-next-century-when-the-house-of-commons-is-told-that-the-monarchy-is-to-be-abolished-1543462.html
    LAST night Britain became a republic. In a packed but subdued House of Commons, MPs listened as the Clerk of the House announced in medieval French that the Queen had given her assent to the Republic of Great Britain and Northern Ireland Bill, thus ending more than 1,000 years of royal rule in Britain.
    The Prime Minister, Virginia Bottomley, told parliament that following last month's referendum, which narrowly came down in favour of a republic, her government would do its utmost to protect the Royal Family from any public humiliation. The Queen, while remaining monarch of New Zealand and Papua New Guinea, had asked to be allowed to reside in Britain and the Government had agreed. From now on she would be known as the Duchess of Edinburgh.

The former Queen had been allowed to keep her private fortune and her residences at Balmoral and Sandringham. Mrs Bottomley said the former monarch would remain in Buckingham Palace until the new president, Lord Lineker, took up residence at the new presidential lodge in Regent's Park, in about a month. Buckingham Palace would be open to the public and there were plans to turn it into an art gallery to display the former monarch's collection of paintings, which it was announced last week she was giving to the new republic as part of a long-delayed tax settlement.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ENGLISH republic more like, since scotland, wales and northern ireland won't .....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    ENGLISH republic more like, since scotland, wales and northern ireland won't .....

Each country would presumably have its own PM.
  • Options
    irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Always wondered from the outside why the working class in Britain would prefer a monarchy over a republic .. A monarchy is a very foreign concept to me, but I suppose tradition might have a lot to do with it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishfeen wrote: »
    Always wondered from the outside why the working class in Britain would prefer a monarchy over a republic .. A monarchy is a very foreign concept to me, but I suppose tradition might have a lot to do with it.

I am working class and prefer to have a queen, it is someone for people to look to in times of trouble.

The queen mother for example in the war.
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member

I'd vote 'No' and in pretty much all polls on the subject come out pro-monarch
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd vote 'No' and in pretty much all polls on the subject come out pro-monarch

Yes, but with the queen, Charles is not liked as well at all for obvious reasons.
  • Options
    nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why not?

It would be a resounding No from me btw. :)
  • Options
    irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am working class and prefer to have a queen, it is someone for people to look to in times of trouble.

The queen mother for example in the war.
    Yeah but isn't it all subjective? .. Is all the castles, money, land, class divide worth somebody to look up to? .. I honestly don't know the answer to that becuse I come from the other side of the equation- a democratic Republic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah but isn't it all subjective? .. Is all the castles, money, land, class divide worth somebody to look up to? .. I honestly don't know the answer to that becuse I come from the other side of the equation- a democratic Republic.

Some people want to be under someone.
  • Options
    GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member

Yes - like the tradition of the power of the Catholic church in the ROI.

Both should be booted out - but things wouldn't fundamentally change until the socio-economic system changed too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nethwen wrote: »
    Why not?

It would be a resounding No from me btw. :)

Not sure, the option does not appear. And I think I'm too new.
  • Options
    dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    Some people want to be under someone.

We should be citizens and not subjects.
  • Options
    nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure, the option does not appear. And I think I'm too new.

Ah! Maybe you didn't scroll down the page far enough and missed it. :)