did michael ball ever have an affair?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Yorkie47 wrote: »
    Thanks for your posts Karen.

I've been a fan since the early 90s and of course no human being is nice ALL the time. However, I have hardly ever heard a bad word said about Michael Ball. Obviously, I'm not in the business but fans talk at stage doors!

I did get briefly talking once to one of his co-stars (Maria Friedman, very nice woman). This was during the run of "Woman in White". During our 5 minute chat it was quite obvious that Maria adored Michael. She spoke of him in glowing terms, saying what great fun he was. In fact she actually said "I love him to bits".

Of course I've heard the gay rumours over the years too but I couldn't care less whether he's gay or not. He's not saying and he's entitled to keep his private life private.

Yes, I agree with you Yorkie and also send my thanks to Karen for her posts in this thread.

I've always liked Michael Ball (and still do). Went to see him in Aspects of Love and had front row seats with my sister (way back when). Fell in love with him from that day forward.

I don't give a fig whether he's gay or not - that's his private life and nothing to do with me.

For what it's worth - I also like John Barrowman too. I think they're both fun, have lovely singing voices and excellent performers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    You're welcome and thank you for the comment.

I've never posted on a forum before but a couple of the comments moved me to.

What more can I say? I've seen Michael take a whole cast out for a curry to promote unity, I know he buys birthday presents for the children of chorus members when money is tight for them, I know he takes time out to rehearse scenes that he's not in when a colleague is struggling and it's affecting the show. And he does them under the radar, away from the spotlight. Actions speak louder than words and self obsessed stars don't do those things.

And you're right, I believe, not to give a fig about his sexuality. It IS entirely his own business. He has a loving supportive home environment and has had for years, you earn that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    Weren't there rumours linking Michael with Irish singer Brian Kennedy a few years back? Apparently they took a few holidays together and the word on the grapevine suggested they were an item.

Wasn't Brian Kennedy also rumoured to be "friendly" with Ronan Keating? :D
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evie-Grace wrote: »
    Parachuting accident at 18, must have been a dreadful time.

I didn't know about this thing until my ex told me recently, but I really thought my ex was joking, as it seemed such a ludicrous stroy, and my ex was saying he is 'Michael No-Ball' and all that...and then I Googled and I was shocked when I read about it.
  • cazzzcazzz Posts: 12,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Karen59 wrote: »
    I am a professional performer in musical theatre and have been in productions with Michael Ball and know him reasonably well. I make no comment on his private life, that is entirely his own affair. But you need to spend about 60 seconds in the company of Mike and Cathy to see that they are clearly, and genuinely, devoted to each other and make each other very happy. He is a wonderful step-father and step-grandfather and his family all adore him. There is nothing ‘artificial’ about his home life.

On a professional level, here I do feel moved to defend him. He is a superb company leader and is always generous with his time and advice. Indeed the younger members of the company tend to follow him around like besotted sheep. I have never heard a ‘me me me’ type phrase in all the years I’ve known him, well not one meant seriously anyway. He is wonderfully tactile but never in a sleazy way and he always shows complete respect for the women in the company. He does enjoy kissing women and he does have a wicked sense of humour.

The one comment that I must take issue with is “I believe he's a bit of a diva too - he refuses to speak for hours before concerts to 'preserve his voice', and makes dismissive hand gestures if anyone tries to communicate verbally with him.”
    This is complete and utter nonsense. In 2009 he invited cameras backstage to film the buildup to his Royal Albert Hall concert, the minutes, and indeed seconds, before going on. He was his usual funny and supportive self. In fact he seeks out people to talk to in the moments before performing on any stage as a counter to nerves. He is the least precious person vocally I know, and believe me I know some who would easily fit the description in quotation marks.

It is very easy to fire barbs at people you don’t know, we are all guilty of it. But this one doesn’t deserve it. If I needed to depend on a colleague for help during a performance, a kind word or an understanding wink or someone to fill in a forgotten line, I would choose Michael Ball over any other person in musical theatre. He is kindness and talent and grace and patience personified.

Great post from personal experience. I'm not a stalker of Michael or what is considered a "super fan". But I have watched him over the years on talk shows and radio etc and have always liked his attitude. Seems a very generous man with his time and always upbeat. I'd prefer to watch something with him on rather than someone like Lily Allen etc.

He has a wealth of stage and tv experiance and always something funny to add. I hope that if Andrew-Lloyd Webber doesnt anther Dorothy/Joseph type of show then maybe Michael can take part as he would make a good judge.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    killiegirl wrote: »
    Wasn't Brian Kennedy also rumoured to be "friendly" with Ronan Keating? :D

I have known Brian for many years, and this rumour is just that...a rumour! I met him when he did some charity work for a homeless organisation I used to work for.

Ronan is his friend, that is true, but that is all there is to it. Sometimes I think people - gay people, perhaps going through a lot - WANT people in public eye to be homosexual, but most of them aren't and could never be.
  • mumbles26mumbles26 Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    I'm so glad you posted Karen.

I've never met Michael but I find it very hard to believe that he is anything but a thoroughly, lovely and genuine man.

I love it when people in the know take the time to come on here and post nice things rather than a lot of the poisonous vile that many do on DS.

Stay around Karen
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 278
    Forum Member
    ppaupy wrote: »
    Being married with children really doesnt mean anything..mu partner has 3 adult children and was married for 25 years...gay as a goose now.

As for the one now in question i heard many rumours of the same way way back..of him being with a co-star when they were in Godspell together..other man in question is David...insert county of your choice...

David Lancashire?
  • ppaupyppaupy Posts: 2,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Linz69 wrote: »
    David Lancashire?

The very man!!:D
  • marlingmarling Posts: 3,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sueh21 wrote: »
    Yes but that clue made no sense! I was trying to think who King Edward was:confused:

Even worse, I was trying to think of a royal person with 'Jersey' in their title :o
  • dollylovesshoesdollylovesshoes Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aww FFS He is true guy, I miss him on Radio 2, giggly lovely guy, no matter what sexulatly is who gives a *fu*ck*
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    halecomet wrote: »
    i heard rumors that michael and prince edward had a gay affair:eek::eek:

I heard rumours that Father Christmas was real
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    ppaupy wrote: »
    As for the one now in question i heard many rumours of the same way way back..of him being with a co-star when they were in Godspell together..other man in question is David...insert county of your choice...

I think you're casting aspersions on the wrong guy here. I think the clue indicates someone who was "Dancing with the Captain".
  • MrsRobinsonMrsRobinson Posts: 4,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    halecomet wrote: »
    i heard rumors that michael and prince edward had a gay affair:eek::eek:
    That was when they were in New York wasn't it!!! ;)
  • DaughterqueenDaughterqueen Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    clitheroe1 wrote: »
    He's married to a woman? I don't know why, but I always assumed he was gay.

He is totally gay. He has been ****ed by so many of my friends in the west end especially during his les mis days. He is totally bottom. Cathy is his beard
  • dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    I am a professional performer in musical theatre and have been in productions with Michael Ball and know him reasonably well. I make no comment on his private life, that is entirely his own affair. But you need to spend about 60 seconds in the company of Mike and Cathy to see that they are clearly, and genuinely, devoted to each other and make each other very happy. He is a wonderful step-father and step-grandfather and his family all adore him. There is nothing ‘artificial’ about his home life.

On a professional level, here I do feel moved to defend him. He is a superb company leader and is always generous with his time and advice. Indeed the younger members of the company tend to follow him around like besotted sheep. I have never heard a ‘me me me’ type phrase in all the years I’ve known him, well not one meant seriously anyway. He is wonderfully tactile but never in a sleazy way and he always shows complete respect for the women in the company. He does enjoy kissing women and he does have a wicked sense of humour.

The one comment that I must take issue with is “I believe he's a bit of a diva too - he refuses to speak for hours before concerts to 'preserve his voice', and makes dismissive hand gestures if anyone tries to communicate verbally with him.”
    This is complete and utter nonsense. In 2009 he invited cameras backstage to film the buildup to his Royal Albert Hall concert, the minutes, and indeed seconds, before going on. He was his usual funny and supportive self. In fact he seeks out people to talk to in the moments before performing on any stage as a counter to nerves. He is the least precious person vocally I know, and believe me I know some who would easily fit the description in quotation marks.

It is very easy to fire barbs at people you don’t know, we are all guilty of it. But this one doesn’t deserve it. If I needed to depend on a colleague for help during a performance, a kind word or an understanding wink or someone to fill in a forgotten line, I would choose Michael Ball over any other person in musical theatre. He is kindness and talent and grace and patience personified.

Thanks for this post. I am so glad you spoke out. I have always thought Michael a lovely bloke, and it's nice to know he is as he seems.
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lewisH wrote: »
    I met him at the stage door after Hairspray. He was so kind to all his fans, and even posed with the kids for photos. He made sure everyone who wanted to speak to him had their chance and was in no hurry to go. Really lovely guy. :)

ps. I think the JB fans call themselves the Johnettes :D

Yep same thing happened to me although he was a bit short with my friend who couldn't get the camera to work :eek::D

I must admit this thread has surprised me as I haven't heard a bad word about him from insiders. He maybe a bit of a diva but not in a nasty way and the preserving voice thing if true is actually sensible as his voice is his liveliehood
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thank you I posted before reading yiour comments. It is nice to have internet gossip rubbished by someone who reallyknows the truth :D
  • sconescone Posts: 14,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As people said earlier he is impotent after a parachuting accident. I doubt he is having any affairs. I had no idea his wife used to be married to Hywel Bennett
    Forum Member
    Wouldn't it be wonderful if he came out and became a role model rather than lead an unhappy fake and scared existence. They always say truth will out.
  • MrsRobinsonMrsRobinson Posts: 4,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scone wrote: »
    As people said earlier he is impotent after a parachuting accident. I doubt he is having any affairs. I had no idea his wife used to be married to Hywel Bennett
    When did Cathy and Michael get married? I'm sure they're just living in the same house and are not married! ;)
  • Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When did Cathy and Michael get married? I'm sure they're just living in the same house and are not married! ;)

They aren't married.
    Forum Member
    They aren't married.

It is a totally fake relationship - she gets money and power and he gets a beard. i heard she even used to give him permission to see young men on a Thursday night! He is petrified of being found out. Apparentjy he doesn't want to upset the Jewish family and he doesn't want to lose his fan base. But he has lost all respect in the business in his evasion of the truth and its so sad and bad that he doesn't come out and be a role model.
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i have to admit, i always thought it might be a fake relationship. never more so than the time when his house burnt down and he just happened to be sleeping in the spare room due to a `cold`.:o
  • jamtamarajamtamara Posts: 2,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a lovely relationship. There are different kinds of love and they do love each other. So they are not having rampant sex - so what. It's fine.

If MB is 'allowed' to see men on occasion, which someone has only 'heard' and now gleefully spreads around as if it's gospel what's even the problem? It's not illegal, presumably these people want to see him so that's his sex life sorted.

I am surprised at the nastiness to two innocuous and decent people. The fact that MB might have (and certainly must have had in the past) problems stemming from his accident deserves some consideration.

MB or CM do not have to be ambassadors for someone else's agenda. This is bullying behaviour and homophobia has many forms. ;)