LG Nexus 4 officially announced

Comments

• Scotty2012Scotty2012 Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    Nope just the same tightness.

It must be my imagination playing tricks on me.
    When I move the left hand side it feels slightly tighter than the right hand side but only a little bit. I think that's my cue to go to bed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    I am really struggling with finding documentation on how to do things tbh.

How do I get the notification LED to flash when I have an SMS? It seems to do so for new emails that come in over ActiveSync to the default email app, but I just received a text and didn't touch the phone and the LED never seemed to come on?

I know there's a bit of software called Light Flow but I'd quite like to know what it should do by default before I install third part stuff to make it do other things.
  • gavo360gavo360 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hutchingsp wrote: »

How do I get the notification LED to flash when I have an SMS? It seems to do so for new emails that come in over ActiveSync to the default email app, but I just received a text and didn't touch the phone and the LED never seemed to come on?

I know there's a bit of software called Light Flow but I'd quite like to know what it should do by default before I install third part stuff to make it do other things.

I dont think there is a way for the notification light to work for sms in vanilla android as far as I can see. I use a app called SMS popup which which uses the light and pops up the message when the phone is locked and you can reply while its locked.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's normal AFAIK, I just used the free version of Light Flow and choose different colours for different events. I also made it flash faster as it is to slow.
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Use Handsent or Go SMS Pro if you want LED notifications, both of these are miles better than the stock SMS app.
  • withnailukwithnailuk Posts: 1,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hutch try out lite flow. you can change colours to mail,text,etc.etc .

Also just got my N4 yesterday What a lovely phone.
  • pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do I get the notification LED to flash when I have an SMS?
    Assuming you have notifications turned on (ie. when you receive a text, it notifies you with the little messaging icon), the LED will flash. It's quite a slow flash - a good few seconds elapse between brief flashes, but it does flash. I have tested it and I am only using the stock SMS app - it definitely flashes.

As others have said, though, Light Flow is a pretty good app for this sort of thing. Very customisable and very handy I'd have thought for the Nexus 4, just to speed up its default SLOOOOOOW notification pulse.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    The only thing that annoys me is the handset doesnt wake when i get a text.

Other than that, still loving it :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    The only thing that annoys me is the handset doesnt wake when i get a text.

Other than that, still loving it :D

I've been using handcent for the first time today and that wakes the screen when you get a text. Loads of options in the app.
    Forum Member
    As others have said, though, Light Flow is a pretty good app for this sort of thing. Very customisable and very handy I'd have thought for the Nexus 4, just to speed up its default SLOOOOOOW notification pulse.

I purchased the full Lite Flow and it seems to have bridged the gap nicely - not quite a Blackberry but I got so used to just looking for that little light flashing that it's difficult to move to having to look at a screen.

Have to say I'm staggered the OS doesn't do LED notifications better, seems crazy that someone can do a better job for £1.50 than Google can.
    Forum Member
    gavo360 wrote: »
    I've been using handcent for the first time today and that wakes the screen when you get a text. Loads of options in the app.

Sweet!

Cheers :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I purchased the full Lite Flow and it seems to have bridged the gap nicely - not quite a Blackberry but I got so used to just looking for that little light flashing that it's difficult to move to having to look at a screen.

Have to say I'm staggered the OS doesn't do LED notifications better, seems crazy that someone can do a better job for £1.50 than Google can.

This has been my first week with android coming from iOS for 3 years. Overall I'm very happy with android and don't miss my iPhone at all but I do think google could do a better job with with a few of its stock apps, Text messages, email and calendar in my opinion are nicer on iOS. Hopefully google will give these apps a face lift soon because they have done a good job recently with, YouTube, maps, currents, google+ and chrome.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anybody else had problems with the ear speaker, it not that loud and quality is pretty poor tbh. I don't know if I have a duff unit or its a design thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    Anybody else had problems with the ear speaker, it not that loud and quality is pretty poor tbh. I don't know if I have a duff unit or its a design thing.

If anything mine is too load and the quality is excellent.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stock application being crap, lack of led etc. Listen guys you have bought a Nexus device - a developers phone. CyanogenMod solves a few of the led issues, but most people want these off anyway as they are bloody annoying. And Google give us great maps, Gmail and chrome for nowt so I can forgive them a less than perfect sms app.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    Stock application being crap, lack of led etc. Listen guys you have bought a Nexus device - a developers phone. CyanogenMod solves a few of the led issues, but most people want these off anyway as they are bloody annoying. And Google give us great maps, Gmail and chrome for nowt so I can forgive them a less than perfect sms app.

Come on now. Nexus phones aren't really for developers these days. They're the flagship Google models.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The nexus range is now clearly not for developers any more, this is evident by the way they are marketing it.
    Forum Member

What are you talking about. I find the stock SMS app perfectly fine and fine to look at. It just doesnt wake the phone which annoys me. Neither does CM. There is an LED and it works on all apps for me :confused:
  • Scotty2012Scotty2012 Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the look of the stock Messaging and Gmail app.
    They both look formal and simple which appeals to me rather than some SMS apps which look cartoonish.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is the volume of the ring tones like on this phone? I noticed a few of them these days are pretty quiet and I need something that got some grunt to it as my ears are not that great.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    What is the volume of the ring tones like on this phone? I noticed a few of them these days are pretty quiet and I need something that got some grunt to it as my ears are not that great.

I find the speaker quite quiet, possibly due to it's placement at the back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think the speaker is a design flaw. I hardly hear it if its in my pocket and I'm in a busy place.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gavo360 wrote: »
    I think the speaker is a design flaw. I hardly hear it if its in my pocket and I'm in a busy place.

Thanks to both of you. it seems to be normal these days. i think that they cram so much into these phones that they forget they are suppose to be phones and that people are suppose to know when some one is calling or sending a text.

I was thinking of this phone because the price is good for what it offers, even if it don't have a SD card slot, i would have coped. but i need something I can hear and I can only just about hear the thing i got now and that is quieter than my old HTC and that quieter than the Alcatel/vodafone thing I had before.

Time for a rethink. i did go to the vodafone shop yesterday to have a look, but wrong day on a Saturday, lots of people and kids mucking around with the display and the parent/s just watching doing nothing as normal. so I walked out.

i have decided that I will go for a sim only contract and buy a phone.
    Forum Member

Can't say I thought of the Nexus as being a "developers phone" tbh?

I'd always thought of it as being the premium phone to go for if you want a "pure" Android phone without all the custom shit that manufacturers put on their phones, or without having to wait a year for a version upgrade for some arbitrary reason known only to T-Mobile/Vodafone/Three or whoever your network happens to be.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't say I thought of the Nexus as being a "developers phone" tbh?

I'd always thought of it as being the premium phone to go for if you want a "pure" Android phone without all the custom shit that manufacturers put on their phones, or without having to wait a year for a version upgrade for some arbitrary reason known only to T-Mobile/Vodafone/Three or whoever your network happens to be.

Its because its NOT a dev phone. Its just some spout this BS.