Options

Do you realise how lucky you are to live in the UK.

Comments

• Options
    PPhilsterPPhilster Posts: 1,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jen-B wrote: »
    How do you know if you've never been (as you've as much as admitted on this thread)?

He has posted comments clearly showing he spent very little time outdoors and traveling around Australia and yet he feels qualified to critique the country's geography? Then he says that most people used to living in a hot climate stay indoors when it is 40c when that is simply not true or it would be true in other countries where similar or worse heat occurs.
    A couple of days ago you were arguing on another thread about the American media, and saying that unless you'd lived, or spent some considerable time in America, you couldn't really comment.

Wrong! I said unless you were American you couldn't really know what most Americans view as being left or right. I never said anything about nobody being able to comment!
    You've never been to Australia. The OP has, ergo, you cannot make any comment.

What I have challenged him on doesn't require me to even step foot in the country. I don't doubt his displeasure is genuine but from everything posted so far I would say most of his displeasure is self inflicted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    We can't criticise a country until we've visited all corners of said country? How does that work? I haven't been to Wales yet. Does this mean I shouldn't have criticised Britain all these years?

Have you been following the discussion? You can't criticize a country's geography if you have unknowingly made it clear that you actually spent very little time outdoors. And, yes, you can't reasonably criticize a country if you have failed to travel and visit most of it. Most also doesn't equal "all corners of said country."

As far as your Wales comment goes, the answer is yes if it involves things like geography.
  • Options
    2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I consider myself highly fortunate and thankful to be living in the UK. The opportunities for hard work and the ensuing rewards for doing so cannot be overstated.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PPhilster wrote: »
    Have you been following the discussion? You can't criticize a country's geography if you have unknowingly made it clear that you actually spent very little time outdoors. And, yes, you can't reasonably criticize a country if you have failed to travel and visit most of it. Most also doesn't equal "all corners of said country."

As far as your Wales comment goes, the answer is yes if it involves things like geography.

Yes, I have. I was responding to this part of your response: "he unknowingly showed that he actually spent little time outdoors and traveling throughout Australia".

I can play if you want to play that kind of game. "All corners of said country" doesn't necessarily mean geography either. It could refer to learning local cultures, politics, histories, accents, etc, and meeting with people from all corners of a country in one place. Like this forum, for instance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I have. I was responding to this part of your response: "he unknowingly showed that he actually spent little time outdoors and traveling throughout Australia".

To which you somehow equate "throughout Australia" with "all corners." That makes no sense.

I can play if you want to play that kind of game. "All corners of said country" doesn't necessarily mean geography either. It could refer to learning local cultures, politics, histories, accents, etc, and meeting with people from all corners of a country in one place. Like this forum, for instance.

I was addressing his comments about the geography of Australia!

Again, you are not making sense. He was specifically criticizing the geography of the country. One can not reasonably do that if one obviously doesn't spend much time outdoors, in the first place, and traveling throughout the country, in the second place.
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    I was addressing his comments about the geography of Australia!

Again, you are not making sense. He was specifically criticizing the geography of the country. One can not reasonably do that if one obviously doesn't spend much time outdoors, in the first place, and traveling throughout the country, in the second place.

TBH - I don't spend a great deal of time outdoors and haven't travelled this country extensively - I would however feel more confident in talking about the Geography/vibe/atmosphere of this country than someone who'd never set foot here.

The OP was speaking of his own experience of Australia as he experienced it. Seems fair enough to me - his judgement is his opinion and perfectly valid.
  • Options
    mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    Neil5234 wrote: »
    the heat was so overbearing that people just stayed indoors wit the air con on.

I doubt that. I'm currently sitting outside on my laptop, it's 34C. There are people out jogging and I can hear kids running around in the park.

In a couple of months it'll be well over 40C and things will be mostly the same.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TBH - I don't spend a great deal of time outdoors and haven't travelled this country extensively - I would however feel more confident in talking about the Geography/vibe/atmosphere of this country than someone who'd never set foot here.

Nothing to do with "vibe/atmosphere" as I was strictly talking about geography. I don't know why people are trying to twist my words.

Your knowledge of geography in your example, just as with the person I was addressing, could not logically be used to judge the geography of a country in a negative or positive light compared to another country. I could have lived my entire life in a cave and that statement would still be just as true. In other words, my knowledge of the geography of Australia is irrelevant.
    The OP was speaking of his own experience of Australia as he experienced it. Seems fair enough to me - his judgement is his opinion and perfectly valid.

The OP described the geography of Australia in a negative light in comparison to the UK when he has made it very clear that he spent very little time outdoors and traveling the country. That makes no sense.

Of course he is entitled to his opinion. I never said or suggested he wasn't. I am simply saying his opinion on the geography of Australia doesn't make sense.

Ultimately, my comments are showing how flawed and self-inflicted people's views and bad experiences can be about their expat experience.
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    Nothing to do with "vibe/atmosphere" as I was strictly talking about geography. I don't know why people are trying to twist my words.

Your knowledge of geography in your example, just as with the person I was addressing, could not logically be used to judge the geography of a country in a negative or positive light compared to another country. I could have lived my entire life in a cave and that statement would still be just as true. In other words, my knowledge of the geography of Australia is irrelevant.

The OP described the geography of Australia in a negative light in comparison to the UK when he has made it very clear that he spent very little time outdoors and traveling the country. That makes no sense.

Of course he is entitled to his opinion. I never said or suggested he wasn't. I am simply saying his opinion on the geography of Australia doesn't make sense.

Ultimately, my comments are showing how flawed and self-inflicted people's views and bad experiences can be about their expat experience.

Well personally I don't see it as making little sense at all. As I said - it is his opinion when comparing the landscape (which is what he did) - I'm not sure where you are from or how extensively you've toured the UK but I happen to agree that there are indeed some stunningly beautiful parts of the UK that (to my limited knowledge) compare quote favourably to Australia.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    We can't criticise a country until we've visited all corners of said country? How does that work? I haven't been to Wales yet. Does this mean I shouldn't have criticised Britain all these years?

Btw. Wales is not a country. It is a dependent territory of the UK.

http://geography.about.com/od/politicalgeography/a/englandnot.htm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mrkite77 wrote: »
    In a couple of months it'll be well over 40C and things will be mostly the same.

Quoting myself, here's an example:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZiupOJCzfU

That's a local 5k run that takes place in June. WolframAlpha says that on that day, the high was 40C. That race starts at 7pm, so it gets cooler as you run. By then it had cooled down to 35C. Still, 5k run in 35C temperatures.

You acclimatize living in the desert.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    Btw. Wales is not a country. It is a dependent territory of the UK.

http://geography.about.com/od/politicalgeography/a/englandnot.htm

:confused: I referred Wales as a corner. As in, "can't criticise until we've visited all corners of said country ", hence "I haven't been to Wales yet. Does this mean I shouldn't have criticised Britain all these years?" All corners = England, Scotland and Wales. Country = Britain.
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Every time i go to the toilet and all i have to worry about is this

http://imgur.com/h8iEV9J

Instead of this

http://imgur.com/XwA0vOc

I realise just how lucky i am. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well personally I don't see it as making little sense at all. As I said - it is his opinion when comparing the landscape (which is what he did) -

I didn't say he was making "little sense," I said he was making no sense.

Of course it is his opinion, but is an opinion that is not reasonably formed based on what he has written, as I have already said a number of times, and it is entirely unfair to Australia.
    I'm not sure where you are from or how extensively you've toured the UK but I happen to agree that there are indeed some stunningly beautiful parts of the UK that (to my limited knowledge) compare quote favourably to Australia.

That would be fine if that is what he said, but it wasn't.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    klendathu wrote: »
    Nobody has any money , there are no job opportunities , and Im sick of it .

Nobody? What are you talking about?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    :confused: I referred Wales as a corner. As in, "can't criticise until we've visited all corners of said country ", hence "I haven't been to Wales yet. Does this mean I shouldn't have criticised Britain all these years?" All corners = England, Scotland and Wales. Country = Britain.

(Great) Britain (England, Scotland, Wales) is not a country either. The UK (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland) is.

:p

Anyway, it's a bit pedantic really. Even tourist boards get it wrong.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    Unlikely.

Every country has its negatives, but there are degrees.

Look at what happened in Pakistan recently with the collapsed building and hundreds of people killed. That is unlikely to happen in the UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-22347672

Aberfan, but that was due to the coal mining industry, rather than poor building standards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aberfan_disaster

And Buncefield, which frankly was down to sheer luck that nobody died.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buncefield_fire

Bangladesh hasn't been part of Pakistan for over forty years now.
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrkite77 wrote: »
    I doubt that. I'm currently sitting outside on my laptop, it's 34C. There are people out jogging and I can hear kids running around in the park.

Why are you sitting on your laptop? Do you not have a lawn chair?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    flobadob wrote: »
    Bangladesh hasn't been part of Pakistan for over forty years now.

Sorry, my mistake.

:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why are you sitting on your laptop? Do you not have a lawn chair?

I was sitting on it until it agreed to stop being stubborn. It eventually cried uncle.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    The uk is ok,But ireland is where my heart lies.
    I have family there,its greener, and the people are friendlier than here in the uk!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm lucky to have been born and lived in the UK. I feel even more lucky to be living in the USA.
  • Options
    Neil5234Neil5234 Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How does that make my comment any less valid or true?

From what you have said it obviously means you never got out much and traveled much around Australia to actually see the geography you talked about.

And you have?
  • Options
    Neil5234Neil5234 Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Who said I spent little time outdoors? I travelled all over oz and have seen all of the best parts f oz...how many times have you been to oz?
  • Options
    mungobrushmungobrush Posts: 9,332
    Forum Member
    He's talking rubbish of course.

He may have stayed indoors because of the heat. But to say that all Aussies do is absolutely wrong.

And just so as you know - I spent most of my life in Australia - many more years than the 15 that he spent

You think that Aussies reached the pinnacle of so many sports by staying indoors?

Australia is an outdoor society - similar to Arizona I would imagine where my best mate now lives (in Scottsdale)

We have a saying - "How do you know when a plane load of pommies has landed? When they turn the engines off the whining doesn't stop"