Recent films that still haven't been shown on terrestrial TV

montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I watched Zombieland a few weeks ago after it had its terrestrial TV premiere, but I noticed that it was released in 2009 which means it took five years for it to be shown. Normally it seems to take about 3-4 years after a film's release before it's shown on TV, but the length of time does seem to depend on how good/successful a film has been.

I've noticed that Inception still hasn't been on TV and that is four years old, so it must be due to be shown pretty soon.

So It got me thinking what other decent films that were released over four years ago still haven't been on terrestrial TV yet?

Comments

• dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has Shutter Island been shown yet?
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    The Dark Knight still hasn't been shown on terrestrial TV and that is now 6 years old!
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Motthus wrote: »
    The Dark Knight still hasn't been shown on terrestrial TV and that is now 6 years old!

ITV have shown it several times.
    Forum Member
    No they haven't dodrade as ITV have shown Batman Begins a lot but they have never shown The Dark Knight!

Sky stopped showing it a while back as well!
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most films now days seem to be on Channel 4 , Film 4 and Five.There not many on ITV OR BBC that are new now?
    I do watch some on movie Mix , Movies4men which now is on freeview though to.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No they haven't dodrade as ITV have shown Batman Begins a lot but they have never shown The Dark Knight!

correct , Dark Knight has never been on terrestrial/freeview .
  • yaristamanyaristaman Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are quite a few 'big' Warner films still to be shown that would normally have been shown by, or around, now (Get Smart, TDK, TDKR, Titans x 2, Sherlock Holmes x 2, Inception) plus most of the Marvel films are due to be premiered still - Iron Man 2, Thor, Captain America, The Avengers
  • montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yaristaman wrote: »
    There are quite a few 'big' Warner films still to be shown that would normally have been shown by, or around, now (Get Smart, TDK, TDKR, Titans x 2, Sherlock Holmes x 2, Inception) plus most of the Marvel films are due to be premiered still - Iron Man 2, Thor, Captain America, The Avengers

Sherlock Holmes is another one that is five years old, so is due a showing on TV. I suspect that at least some of these films will be shown over Christmas though.

Also one phenomena I have noticed recently is to show the first film on TV just as the sequel is released in the cinema, such as the 21 Jump St TV premiere being used to promote the sequel.
    Forum Member
    I do wonder if Netflix has delayed the terrestrial premieres of Marvel films as Captain America, Thor, Iron Man 2 and The Avengers by showing them after Sky!
  • Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to let you know (if you don't know already) there is a thread on the Broadcasting forum entitled - "Movie premieres on terrestrial television" - listings and comment/discussion on confirmed movies coming our way to the terrestrial/Freeview channels (not Sky/satellite). Read here:-

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1525596&page=63
  • logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The whole Batman trilogy is now on Buy and Keep in the Sky On Demand section. Which i find annoying as i haven't seen the last one..Same with Kick Ass 2. Still can't rent it.
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has Rob Zombie's Halloween (2007) & Halloween II (2009) been shown on Terrestrial tv yet?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gerry d wrote: »
    Has Rob Zombie's Halloween (2007) & Halloween II (2009) been shown on Terrestrial tv yet?

I think the first one has been.
  • Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nope, not yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't believe the original Friday Night Lights film has ever been shown on UK terrestrial TV.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Halloween II is listed for 5* tomorrow night, Radio Times says it's the premiere of the 2009 film but the Sky EPG says it's the 1981 sequel.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about Lincoln or The Silver Linings Playbook and Hangover 3?
  • Lee_Smith2Lee_Smith2 Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd bet heavily on Adventures of Tintin, The Muppets, Puss in Boots and John Carter being shown on BBC over Christmas 2014 and into New Year's Day. They're either Dreamworks Animation distribution or Disney films from 2011/2012. Seems the BBC has an exclusive deal for productions from there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    Halloween II is listed for 5* tomorrow night, Radio Times says it's the premiere of the 2009 film but the Sky EPG says it's the 1981 sequel.

5* are actually showing the 1981 one with 4music showing exactly the same film one hour later at 10:00pm. A few TV guides have got confused and thought it was the sequel to the new one despite the fact that the first Rob Zombie movie hasn't even appeared on terrestrial TV yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    What about Lincoln or The Silver Linings Playbook and Hangover 3?

The first Hangover movie still hasn't been shown.
  • Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bizarrely A Serbian Film has never been broadcast.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fowl Fax wrote: »
    5* are actually showing the 1981 one with 4music showing exactly the same film one hour later at 10:00pm. A few TV guides have got confused and thought it was the sequel to the new one despite the fact that the first Rob Zombie movie hasn't even appeared on terrestrial TV yet.

How many sequels have been shown on Terrestrial TV before the original film? I think it has happened occasionally.
  • FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    House of 1000 corpses?
  • blgsmrssblgsmrss Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Final Destination 5. The others have been screened to death.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they think it's not worth buying a lot of films these days.