National Lottery is a big con and BBC should pull out

hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
Forum Member
✭✭
Why should a greedy people get airtime by the BBC who knocked up the price to £2. Its stupid and the BBC should withdraw their lottery content.

Comments

• LockesLockes Posts: 6,568
    Forum Member
    I agree and I hope the lottery realises it has made a BIG mistake when ticket sales slump. £15 million on an advertising campaign for the new prices is ludicrous that money should be going to good causes
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can see you're upset because your sentence doesn't really make sense. I'm not having a go; just saying that when I first read it it appeared as if you were blaming the BBC for the lottery price increase.

Anyway, it's a game of chance with astronomical odds and huge payouts for those lucky enough to beat those odds. I don't think it deserves all the razzle-dazzle it gets. But we still need to know the results.

Where I do agree though is that it's a replacement for direct funding for good causes. I'd much rather see funding made direct without Camelot taking a slice of the pie.
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why should a greedy people get airtime by the BBC who knocked up the price to £2. Its stupid and the BBC should withdraw their lottery content.

How exactly is it a con, it's not like they're being nefarious and using underhand means to force you into participating is it? Besides, wasn't it Camelot themselves who put the price up to £2, not the BBC?
  • BillyCasperBillyCasper Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's gone up £1 in 19 years. Is it really worth getting wound up about?
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does Camelot pay the BBC for the privilege of airing their Lottery show, or the BBC broadcast it as some kind of public service?
  • rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well the less of those that play means better (not much) odds for those who just get on with it. Then I'll just say thanks for not playing.
  • cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    Beleive I read somewhere that having doubled the price there are also now less chances of a win - with reduced numbers of prizes. The company is now Canadian owned.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rbdcay wrote: »
    Well the less of those that play means better (not much) odds for those who just get on with it. Then I'll just say thanks for not playing.

No it doesn't, the odds are exactly the same :confused:
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And with fewer people playing there is less money in the prize fund so if you DO win, you won't win as much as you'd normally do (except for the minimum £10 for 3 numbers)

Look at the difference between the Wednesday and rollover prize funds. 4 or 5 numbers on a Wednesday can net you a far smaller prize than on a rollover because there is more in the pot.

So twice as much for a ticket that could net you a smaller prize - where do I sign up?
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the BBC should have been involved in the first place, but the increase doesn't bother me one way or another. The National Lottery is run by a private company for profit, it shouldn't be part of the BBC remit to give them an entire programme for publicity. Didn't Richard Branson offer to run the lottery on a non-profit basis, why was he turned down ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep. Still the same number of balls being drawn for the same objective.

It's a different set of adds that change. Fewer players means a smaller spread of number combinations being picked. You're less likely to share a prize, and there's a greater chance that no one will win at all.
  • rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How can they be the same. the less people who purchase a ticket means that there is more of chance for those that do. I may be using the wrong word odds but clearly if someone is not "in it to win it" then someone else has more of a chance?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can they be the same. the less people who purchase a ticket means that there is more of chance for those that do. I may be using the wrong word odds but clearly if someone is not "in it to win it" then someone else has more of a chance?

No, that's not how it works. If you were the only person playing it you would be no more likely to win than if 5,000,000,000 people were playing it.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You still have to get the winning numbers, it's not like a lottery where they pull the winning ticket out of a hat and someone must have the matching counter foil. You could be the only one in it and the odds against winning would be the same.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think about something with more manageable odds. Say you have a lottery game where you throw a dice three times. There a 1 in 6 chance of picking the correct number on each throw. So the chance of getting all three predictions right is 1/6 x 1/6 x 1/6 which equals 1/216

It doesn't matter how many people play, or how much each go is. The odds of getting it right stays the same. 1/216.

In a fashion, that's how the lottery works.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always thought the jackpot should be capped at £1m with higher payouts for the lower combinations.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't Richard Branson offer to run the lottery on a non-profit basis, why was he turned down ?

Camelot was initially ruled out but successfully challenged the ruling and then won the license, supposedly because their proposal would generate more money for the good causes even with a big slice taken for profit, despite outstanding "issues of propriety" according to Hilary Blume who resigned from the National Lottery Commission in protest.
  • Ulysses777Ulysses777 Posts: 741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's a lottery, not a raffle. There are no guaranteed winners in a lottery.
  • Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member

Actually, the odds wont change as there are still the same amount of balls and same amount that have to be picked. Less people buying a ticket would just mean that the higher prize amounts would go up.

More people playing would just mean more people would win but win less, less people playing means less people win but win higher amounts.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only way that would work is if the six balls that are drawn each week could only be the same as the numbers picked by one of the tickets sold.

In other words if no-one picked 1, 4, 14, 18, 23, 37 then that exact combination of balls could not be dropped by the machine. Which is of course impossible if the machine is truly random.

But of course the machine has no knowledge of the tickets sold so picks a random selection of six balls and it is pot luck if they happen to match a ticket. And the odds of that are no way dependent on how many tickets are sold.
  • Steve_WhelanSteve_Whelan Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does Camelot pay the BBC for the privilege of airing their Lottery show, or the BBC broadcast it as some kind of public service?

Believe it or not but the BBC actually pay Camelot for the rights to broadcast the Lottery show.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Believe it or not but the BBC actually pay Camelot for the rights to broadcast the Lottery show.

But there are strict rules such as the BBc do not pay for the draw sections of the show

http://www.bbc.co.uk/guidelines/editorialguidelines/page/guidance-national-lottery

The Lottery Operator is responsible for the costs of running and administering Lottery draws and the provision and maintenance of all necessary equipment. Apart from the draw section of the show, the BBC must pay all programme costs. All content for Lottery shows must be agreed by the BBC. However, for National Lottery events held at outside venues which are covered by the BBC - such as the National Lottery Awards - the event may be funded by the National Lottery, but all broadcast costs must be met by the BBC and the content of the event must also be agreed with the BBC.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The lottery is not a con because you are not obliged to buy a ticket as such, but I do agree about the BBC.

There is no way that the National Lottery should be on the BBC IMHO.
  • wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always thought the jackpot should be capped at £1m with higher payouts for the lower combinations.

A £1m doesn't go that far these days, especialy if you wanted to buy a house in London, you'd probably get an ex council flat for that in some areas.
  • Steve_WhelanSteve_Whelan Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A £1m doesn't go that far these days, especialy if you wanted to buy a house in London, you'd probably get an ex council flat for that in some areas.

Not many people would play if it were capped at 1 million, look what happens when there is a mega draw record ticket sales, also look at the pools sales pretty much collapsed when the lottery came along with larger prizes.