Options

Bored to Death of Super Hero Movies

BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As we move into 2015 the on going theme of films appears to be still going strong. That of the super Hero movie. From the re-boot of the Batman films to the spot on casting of the iron man series to the dragged out X-men series crunched out to generate little more than a profit at the box office.

I cannot help but feel we have reached a point of being swamped and bored with the theme of Super Heroes. It seems to be very other movie in the cinema is a super hero movies so much so we are scraping the barrel looking at anything that had a cape. Antman really and believe it or not but someone is actually planning an Aquaman movie in 2018. They sit along side 28 other planned super hero movies coming in the next few years.

While some granted have been good and cinema does tend to follow and back tends but surely by now we should have been able to move on to a new theme. To drag our self out of another lazy summer season of of the big summer hits being super heros movies. even the kids most be bored of them now.

If you dont agree with me now just wait till 2018 when Aquaman is out then you will get it !!!

Comments

• Options
    MeanMintMeanMint Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    The beauty of the Cinema, Blu-Ray or TV is that when a film comes out you are not forced to watch it.
  • Options
    Mark AMark A Posts: 7,695
    Forum Member
    Easy fix, don't go see 'em. There, problem solved.

Regards

Mark
  • Options
    Martin BlankMartin Blank Posts: 1,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are movies? Fictional stories. Ok, some are 'based on true events' but the majority, fictional.

If you have a massive back catalogue of fictional stories (comics), in an age where you are remaking films due to lack of content, why wouldn't you go straight to your library of ready made stories?

You could also say the same thing about any genre of film. I'm sick to death of rom coms. So I don't watch them.

Don't forget, it's the movie 'business'. It's all about the cash.
  • Options
    wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bluescope wrote: »
    If you dont agree with me now just wait till 2018 when Aquaman is out then you will get it !!!
    Aquaman is a fantastic character and is one of the rare superhero franchises in which the powers realised on screen have the potential to be nothing like we have seen before.

If your impression of Aquaman is some dude who talks to fish you are sorely mistaken.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's symptomatic of an era in which the role of traditional religion has diminished and has been replaced by a race of mythical superheros. Which suggests that man needs to invent creatures and mythology to help him deal with his position in time and space.

It may also go to prove Voltaire right when he said ,'Si Dieu n'existait pas, il faudrait l'inventer" ("If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him").
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What are movies? Fictional stories. Ok, some are 'based on true events' but the majority, fictional.

If you have a massive back catalogue of fictional stories (comics), in an age where you are remaking films due to lack of content, why wouldn't you go straight to your library of ready made stories?

You could also say the same thing about any genre of film. I'm sick to death of rom coms. So I don't watch them.

Don't forget, it's the movie 'business'. It's all about the cash.

This may also be related to the rise in quality of TV. Cinema is trying to compete with long narrative works like 'Breaking Bad', 'The Wire', 'Game of Thrones' and Hollywood thinks the only way to compete is with spectacle.
  • Options
    yaristamanyaristaman Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So that's 30 films coming out over the next 3 years, so 10 films a year on average.

Do you know just how many OTHER films will be released in that period? If you don't like superhero films fine, there are plenty of other genres to choose from.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yaristaman wrote: »
    So that's 30 films coming out over the next 3 years, so 10 films a year on average.

Do you know just how many OTHER films will be released in that period? If you don't like superhero films fine, there are plenty of other genres to choose from.

The problem is, most multiplexes will tend to show the big studio releases over lower budget films because they can sell tickets for them and it's also not always possible to travel around looking for other cinemas who have more of a varied choice.

Even my nearest independent cinema is an hour's bus ride away.

So i can sort of sympathise with the OP to an extent.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does anyone me that my film magazine is so fixated on them.
  • Options
    AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've no issue with the superhero movies, they're part of the long tradition of storytelling about heroes (and villians) which goes back as far as history, the eternal struggle of good versus evil. They've always been common subject matter, from Greek mythology through to modern day comic book superheroes. I'd say that modern comic book adaptations even have more layers than the old traditional tales with the rise of the anti-hero, the flawed superhero, etc. And when done well, they can offer as much insight into the human condition as any more worthy film.

Also, we all experience real life every day, so a bit of escapism now and again is fine with me too.
  • Options
    GortGort Posts: 7,469
    Forum Member
    OP, welcome to the glorious age of the superman child.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,333
    Forum Member
    yaristaman wrote: »
    Which is roughly one every five weeks.

Of course, some of these will be clustered together in the schedules during the summer months or whenever, so there may be at least some respite here and there. But add on PR & marketing campaigns designed to be unavoidable and over-saturation will surely become an issue for some.

Don't bother/save yer money etc, by all means. Probably pretty easy to do.

But ignoring them, and their collective media status, will probably prove increasingly tricky.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 116,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mark A wrote: »

Regards

Mark

There's only so much film finance around and when one particular genre absorbs a lot of that fans of other genres will miss out. That's commercial cinema for you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Their success at the box office makes me wonder if I should enjoy them more. I usually like the occasional one, but the sequels are always painful to watch. I enjoyed Captain America for the story, but I had to stop watching the sequel after 30 minutes, my brain felt like it was rotting.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    Avengers was probably the last good one
  • Options
    YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Their success at the box office makes me wonder if I should enjoy them more. I usually like the occasional one, but the sequels are always painful to watch. I enjoyed Captain America for the story, but I had to stop watching the sequel after 30 minutes, my brain felt like it was rotting.

Whhaaaaattttt ?? The Winter Soldier was an excellent film. Much much better than the first.

I love the overdose of superhero films. They tell great stories, and 2014 was a fantastic year for them. With Ultron and Antman this year, I can't wait.

Long may it continue :)
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a discussion forum, people discuss things.

The superhero genre is close to the end, I can say this with absolute certainty because it always happens that way.

I suppose the closest comparison in Hollywood history was the biblical epic, or maybe the western genre. Did westerns last longer than biblical stuff?

Anyway, they're over and I wonder if Marvel have a back-up plan?
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem is, most multiplexes will tend to show the big studio releases over lower budget films because they can sell tickets for them and it's also not always possible to travel around looking for other cinemas who have more of a varied choice.

Even my nearest independent cinema is an hour's bus ride away.

So i can sort of sympathise with the OP to an extent.
    Well, if you think back to what choice there was in the mid 70s before the likes of Star Wars and Superman: The Movie made cinema an experience again, lower budget films didn't have much chance of getting a slot on the one or two screens at your local fleapit.

Blockbusters gave us the multiplexes and independent production has flourished during that period. It's a fallacy to suggest that blockbuster genres such as superhero movies are hogging space at the multiplexes. In reality, popular genres facilitate the showing of low budget films.
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MeanMint wrote: »
    The beauty of the Cinema, Blu-Ray or TV is that when a film comes out you are not forced to watch it.

Regards

Mark

I agree with those points but I do see where the OP is coming from when we as viewers have to endure a huge thrust of publicity and commercials when these films are due to be released. It is as if any other genre of film does not exist.
  • Options
    YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    rfonzo wrote: »
    I agree with those points but I do see where the OP is coming from when we as viewers have to endure a huge thrust of publicity and commercials when these films are due to be released. It is as if any other genre of film does not exist.

Right but look at how much money these movies are making. The Marvel Cinematic Universe is the highest grossing franchise ever. They'd makes more films of other genres if people went to see them. But people don't go to see them. So that's why superhero films are been pumped out now. It's what people want.
  • Options
    Ryan11Ryan11 Posts: 4,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh of course you'd get this reaction on here. I for one have never been into superhero movies, I've kept my mouth shut but enough is enough! I hate, despise, detest, superhero movies, and I'm sick of them being rammed down my throat! Oh and if it were rom-coms (which are my favourite movies, just saying) that were being promoted and produced in such a quantity as superhero movies, I guarantee you'd get a very different response on here!
  • Options
    VolVol Posts: 2,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do agree to a certain extent, it has become an oversaturated genre now.

Marvel with their hugely populated cinematic universe - and now DC trying to copy them. Minor characters like AntMan etc getting their own movies with the scraping of the barrel. Well known heroes like Batman and Spiderman not being allowed any time to breathe before they are recycled.

Considering that most recent Marvel films have basically been 'heroes battle for control over a MacGuffin against an underwhelming villain' I do wonder why they keep being so well received. You'd have thought the audience would become bored eventually...
  • Options
    Mark AMark A Posts: 7,695
    Forum Member
    Ryan11 wrote: »
    Oh and if it were rom-coms (which are my favourite movies, just saying) that were being promoted and produced in such a quantity as superhero movies, I guarantee you'd get a very different response on here!

My reaction would be identical - "Easy fix, don't go see 'em. There, problem solved".

Regards

Mark
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with Mark on this one.

You are 'bored to death' by these films. Maybe you could do something else, rather than watching any more of them. Unless someone is FORCING you to watch them..........
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    My reaction would be identical - "Easy fix, don't go see 'em. There, problem solved".

Regards

Mark

But what would they have to moan about then?