Options

Why was Britannia High not as successful as it should have been?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
Forum Member
Just watching the Behind the scenes of Britannia High and can't help wondering why it hasn't been as popular as it could have been.

So much talent and hard work seemed to have gone into it but for some reason it didn't capture the ratings I feel it deserved.

My whole family enjoyed the series and I was really impressed with the young cast especially in the final Live segments.

Would like to see a second series (doubtful though).
Prehaps so much time was spent on the songs and dance routines that the script was negleted a little.

Thoughts please.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV put it on at the wrong time, never marketed propley and just asumed that young people would watch
  • Options
    daniel hallidaydaniel halliday Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chris_ma wrote: »
    Just watching the Behind the scenes of Britannia High and can't help wondering why it hasn't been as popular as it could have been.

So much talent and hard work seemed to have gone into it but for some reason it didn't capture the ratings I feel it deserved.

My whole family enjoyed the series and I was really impressed with the young cast especially in the final Live segments.

Would like to see a second series (doubtful though).
    Prehaps so much time was spent on the songs and dance routines that the script was negleted a little.

Thoughts please.

anything that arlene phillips is involved in is total turkey, it was utter rubbish, never wanted to seriously hurt so many amateur actors from one crappy show in my life,:eek::D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Unbelievably clichéd - the posh kid, the gay kid, the working class kid, the gay kid, the bitchy one, the dim one - wasn't an accurate portrayal of teenage life, but then I've never had the misfortune of hanging about with stage school folk, so maybe they're as loathsome as they appeared in the show.
  • Options
    daclickdaclick Posts: 3,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dot Cotton wrote: »
    ITV put it on at the wrong time, never marketed propley and just asumed that young people would watch

Got it in one.

A saturday night slot would have been better or even on citv.
    Only advice i can offer itv is Repeat it at an earlier time throught the week on citv.

But RePromote First
  • Options
    anna42hmranna42hmr Posts: 2,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    for me the only problems were the script and the schedualling time, the cast were good, fantastic dancers/muscians (maybe more so than came across on screen)

i too would love to see a 2nd series, but have my doubts
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    For me it had a couple of problems, I'm not sure what audience they were aiming for, but my 10yr old daughter & all of her friends loved it, most of the content was fine for them apart from the episode where a brother was shot & I didnt enjoy having to explain the word 'horny' after the live show. It seemed like it was aimed at pre-teens & young teens, but was trying to go for a larger audience.

The scheduling was wrong, pre-teens on a Sunday night are being dunked in the bath & talked into homework at that time, Saturday t-time would have given it better ratings I think, then us mums could have sat & enjoyed it too.

We loved the idea of the live show & I think that worked really well

I hope there is another one next year
  • Options
    garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    It just didn't know what it wanted to be, was this CITV programming or grown up? It wanted to be "T4 Like." People avoided it because it seemed kiddish. The Sunday slot was stupid. ITV OVER advertised it, You'd basically seen the first episode before it ws even scheduled. It wasn't a proper portrayl of teenagers or anyone tbh. Its not very ITV.
  • Options
    GrimmGhostGrimmGhost Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daclick wrote: »
    Got it in one.

Sorry... ..Nope.
  • Options
    soupnazisoupnazi Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When BH first went into production it was talked about as an innovative drama-reality hybrid. Eg. the series was supposed to start with a documentary about how the actors were picked etc. In the end, these parts were either junked or stuck on the web, so we ended up with just a normal drama.

I think by the time it was ready for broadcast, ITV knew it was rubbish. Poor script, poor acting (despite good actors like Mark Benton).

The episode I saw had a gun storyline. What were they thinking? Depressingly (and offensively) it involved the show's only black character.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This was a terrific series, but it was completely mis-scheduled. Having said that I also think the pre-publicity was highly misleading, as much was made of this show's similarity to Fame. That's what many were expecting, but that wasn't what ITV delivered.

Britannia High was quite simply a British High School Musical, and a very good one at that. Granted, most of the choreography was poor and dated by comparison to HSM, but the music, acting and scripts were mostly much better.

It was lots of fun, with likeable characters, and it didn't take itself too seriously. But 7pm on a Sunday??? Completely wrong! It is a Saturday tea-time show.

I also think that ITV over anticipated the size of the audience who would tune in for this, hence the blaze of publicity surrounding it. Whilst it lost audience across the run, that's not that unusual. But for this show, the audience weren't even there in the first place with only 3 million or so tuning in for episode 1.

My kids completely loved it though - and there's precious little on TV for them of this quality, so for us Britannia High was a breath of fresh air.
  • Options
    aussiewantsaps2aussiewantsaps2 Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a very lazy rip off of Fame with the assumption they would hijack the High School Musical audience. It was bad beyond belief! Total utter c*ap.
  • Options
    Martin BlankMartin Blank Posts: 1,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Horrendously, verging on insultingly superficial. Should've been on childrens tv on a weekday around 4pm.

Tripe.
  • Options
    when0in0romewhen0in0rome Posts: 7,180
    Forum Member
    maybe its because almost every single kid of their audience range has seen the high school musical which has a huge budget and fits in with the whole "american high school" that every show children that age watch.

and it seemed to be missing a zac efron (who had alot to do with the success of HSM)
  • Options
    Ghost WorldGhost World Posts: 7,036
    Forum Member
    I'm going to stick with "because it was utter shite", though I suspect if it had been put in a different time slot it might have found more people willing to watch the shite every week.

The whole thing was awful; the characters were all stereotypes, the actors clearly weren't cast on the strength of their acting ability, and the storylines would have seemed cliched on Byker Grove in the 90s. Irredeemably bad.
  • Options
    dids858dids858 Posts: 3,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Horrendously, verging on insultingly superficial. Should've been on childrens tv on a weekday around 4pm.

Tripe.

Which would have had even less viewers it should have been on at around 5-30 on Saturday evenings.
  • Options
    Imogen MImogen M Posts: 4,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The trailers made it look really childish, obnoxious and fake so I avoided it. It was probably good enough for pre-teens but High School Musical got there first and did it much, much better. I don't think we Brits are very good at this type of thing...maybe we should leave it to the American's who have produced fantastic high-school based stories since American Graffiti.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was cringingly bad rubbish. I gave it a go and lasted about 20 mins. I'm having trouble accepting it got made - and after ITV flopped with the last thing with Cindy out of Eastenders. Will they never learn.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the show was slightly rushed. According to Gary Barlow, the reason there were so many songwriters on board was because there was so little time to write the songs. If the song writers were a small, select team, the songs would have flowed better and there wouldn't be so many good songs bogged down with a load of average ones which did let the show down slightly. I've read that the casting was quite late for some characters as well. Everything had to be done pretty quickly, when the project first started they had nothing, just a very basic concept and I think this showed in the programme. Some episodes were very hit and miss.

As people have mentioned, it wasn't a very good timeslot for the show. Although they did it with good intentions, having a show in a slot which is usually occupied by shows for older audiences, it was definitely a hinderance. Putting it between the X Factor would have gelled well with the music theme and would have attracted a huge audience just for being in between the X Factor. I don't see why the couldn't have moved their other shows to a Sunday like Family Fortunes as they already had an established audience who would have watched regardless of the time it was on.

The promotion of the show wasn't very good. They made it look like something aimed at a much younger audience than it was. It had storylines about multiple sclerosis and teacher/student relationships which is definitely more adult than anything in High School Musical.

The show had the potential to be very successful because is it just the type of show that is very 'now' but ITV messed up big time. It's a shame if Britannia High doesn't get recommissioned because I think these mistakes are easily corrected.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ITV don't have a lot of 16-34 year olds as viewers, definitely not enough to break the 4m barrier. It was always destined for a fail unless it was on ITV2- where it could have pulled in around 1m every episode and been considered a hit.
  • Options
    jonparadisejonparadise Posts: 6,057
    Forum Member
    I really, really wanted this show to work, but gave up after episode 3. The first ep was okay, and probably had the most decent story, with the new girl joining the 'talented' people and feeling left out, if that had been developed over the whole season rather than finished in the first ep, it probably would have been better.

Two of the lead actors let the whole thing down, and the script was silly a lot of the time.

They also made the mistake of taking themselves far too seriously at times.

I also agree that it needed to find it's market properly. Mitch Hewer (one of the bad actors) said the show was 'edgier than High School Musical'.

Edgier?
  • Options
    Imogen MImogen M Posts: 4,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trying to make BH "edgier" is what killed it, I reckon. People love HSM because of its innocence. HSM is cliche, predicable and very childish but it works because the people in charge of it all know exactly what they're doing and exactly how to approach their target audience.

BH failed because those making it seemed to want it to be a number of things combined. There was no clear direction and so instead of being complex, it just failed to connect to the audience.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The scheduling was wrong and I don't think they knew who the target audience actually was.
    But the main reason was probably advertising. With a show like Britannia High it is always going to lose a lot of its audience from the first episode so it needs to bring in a high audience for the first episode. It failed to bring in a high enough audience for the first episode presumably because of advertising so it was never going to do well
  • Options
    elite fileselite files Posts: 15,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i enjoyed it:):):):):):):)
  • Options
    rztrzt Posts: 21,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There were plenty of adverts shown for it before it aired.

It was in a very bad timeslot. 7pm on a Sunday is traditionally where dramas/soaps are shown. It should have been shown between the two X Factor shows, as it would have inherited a huge audience.

I also don't think it was good at all.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because it was crap. Pure and simple.

The songs were awful, the plots were unrealistic and thin and the writing was dreadful.

I hate High School Musical, Fame, Grease and everything like it though, so perhaps I'm biased.