EU Nintendo Direct Wii U preview - 3PM UK Time, Thu 13th Sep

MD1500MD1500 Posts: 14,234
Forum Member
✭✭
Just been confirmed. (Same time as the NYC conference.)

So, bizarrely, that leaves Japan as the only place without any Wii U info.

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/news/nintendo_direct_47764.html

Comments

• -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    8th December for Japan launch.
    Hopefully wrong, but not looking too likely getting one for Xmas in Europe.
    Just have to wait till this afternoon to find out now.
    There's a basic model and a premium model announced.
    Both versions will launch at the same time, with the main difference being the amount of memory available. *The basic version contains 8GB of memory to store your games on, while the premium version contains 32GB of memory.
  • CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That basic model comes in white only and includes one gamepad and 8GB of memory. It costs ¥26250 (£210).
    The "premium" pack comes in black only and includes one gamepad, stands, docks, 32GB of memory and "Nintendo Network Premium". It costs ¥31500 (£250).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am sorry but the price of controllers is just daft. Price of the console looks reasonable I am now in to minds in getting it. I expect the prices for the UK to be £250 and £300
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    one2escape wrote: »
    I am sorry but the price of controllers is just daft. Price of the console looks reasonable I am now in to minds in getting it. I expect the prices for the UK to be £250 and £300

Hmmm.... I have a horrible feeling it will be more like £350 and £400.
  • CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We'll likely be looking at 249 and 299 euros at best (maybe add another 30 euros to both prices).

That should mean UK prices of £199 and £249 ...but we know UK retailers will add and extra £30 - £50 on the initial price...and then knock down closer to launch.

So at best expect to see £229 and £279 as the "rrp" retailers will impose....but we should see that drop to the fairer £199 and £249 as retailers start to compete (although they may try and sting us if supply is limited).
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good lord the estimated price of an extra controller! Count me out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmm.... I have a horrible feeling it will be more like £350 and £400.

I'd say the worst case scenario for Europe would be 299 and 349 euros.

Which would likely mean a £279/£329 rrp ...with "price cuts to £249 and £299 (worst case scenario would be £299 and £349 rrps...as UK retailers tried to screw us with a direct euro to pound conversion for the 3DSXL at first).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good lord the estimated price of an extra controller! Count me out.

I'm surprised they are releasing extra "gamepad" controllers initially (as it will likely cause confusion as no games that use more than one have been announced yet:D) ..

...they'd be better off just pushing the fact that other players can just use the far cheaper wii remote/nunchuk combo..or the likely £39/£49 priced pro controller.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Callous wrote: »
    I'm surprised they are releasing extra "gamepad" controllers initially (as it will likely cause confusion as no games that use more than one have been announced yet:D) ..

...they'd be better off just pushing the fact that other players can just use the far cheaper wii remote/nunchuk combo..or the likely £39/£49 priced pro controller.

True, true. What this does strike me as is a bit of a jumbled machine, trying to emulate tablets, trying to be a console and I'm left not entirely sure who it's aimed at.

Still, I have enough consoles and controllers cluttering up the house without one bearing a controller the size of an iPad. So unless it has some must play game on it, again, I'm out with this one which saddens me a little.:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope the Game Pad is sturdy. Wouldn't want little kids breaking that at that cost.

Expensive for what it is. Can get fully fledged Chinese tablets for almost half that.

Impressed by system RAM, less so by game RAM. Lack of storage a giant mistake. Perhaps not for now, but for the future - they'll have to make a new SKU if we move toward downloads being more popular than physical in the years to come, as predicted.
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    UK price will not be higher than Japan - not with the way the currencies are trading. Both regions likely to be dearer than the US though.

As an indication, the games are priced at 6000 and 5000 yen, which is about 10% higher than we pay RRP for games.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alternate wrote: »
    UK price will not be higher than Japan - not with the way the currencies are trading. Both regions likely to be dearer than the US though.

As an indication, the games are priced at 6000 and 5000 yen, which is about 10% higher than we pay RRP for games.
    Do you mean the RRP of Wii games? If so - apples and pears. They're not Blu Ray, thus cheaper.
  • kyresakyresa Posts: 16,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol at Nintendo TVii...
    !
    (no one else watching the preview?)

The link https://www.facebook.com/WiiU/app_196454093821812 if you have facebook.
  • Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,857
    Forum Member
    Is it just me or is that not a very appealing launch line up, plenty of existing console ports, Pikmin missing the launch and the most impressive games being third party (Zombi U and Lego City) I'm sure it'll appeal to some but I'm not all that enamoured yet- I hope we get some more exciting titles announced and quickly
    Forum Member
    Wasn't expecting 30th November at all.
    I was started watching the US stream so missed alot of what was shown on the Europe stream.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bayonetta 2 is exclusive to wii u? that sounds good. hoping more good exclusive games are to come on the console.
  • DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bayonetta 2 is exclusive to wii u? that sounds good. hoping more good exclusive games are to come on the console.

That was a real coup, a great announcement. Zombi U just keeps looking better and better also. But STILL no price reveal, that 'Due to different retalers setting different prices we can't give you a figure' was such a cop out, theres nothing stopping them telling their suggested RRP
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the console comes in at the rumoured prices of £220 and £250 I am sold.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    to the people moaning about launch lineup...

you're kidding right? it's easily the best ever launch lineup of a Ninty console.
    Forum Member
    one2escape wrote: »
    If the console comes in at the rumoured prices of £220 and £250 I am sold.

From DS
    16:02So that's it folks, the livestream is over. What have we learnt? The Wii U will launch on November 18 in North America and November 30 in Europe. The basic bundle will cost £210, according to Gamestation, while the Premium edition will set you back £250.
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    Damn, the only thing interesting to me on there was Bayonetta 2, grabbing an exclusive on that even though most Wii players haven't played the game as it was a PS3/Xbox 360 game, somewhat of a dick move, but nice to see Nintendo playing game grabbing tactics that got Microsoft ahead at the start of this generation.

Seriously surprised at no Metal Gear Rising though, with the Xbox 360 version being canceled in Japan, and with how similar Hardware design is on the Wii U to the Xbox 360, I did seriously think they would use this as a jumping point to quickly convert the code and use the resources to make a Wii U version of the game instead.
  • ScrubberScrubber Posts: 4,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will definitely be getting the Premium version just because it's black, the extra storage and other stuff will obviously be great too.

Does our Premium version get ALL the stuff that the US Deluxe version gets?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still not for me, alas. I need a new MP3 player more than a Wii U.
  • misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bayonetta 2 is big!!

Finally MH for the 3DS and the Wii U is big!!!
    Forum Member