List of 50 top female singer-songwriters

Comments

• Fear of FoursFear of Fours Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stevie Nicks and Carole King should be higher.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    Smudged wrote: »
    If it bothers people that much why doesn't someone ask the author of the list by replying to this tweet. She'd probably be chuffed that someone actually showed some interest:

https://twitter.com/GabriellaSwerl/status/266207988698738688

I don't twitter but I bet you 5 English pounds she says the list is not in any sort of order. Probably the first 50 names that popped into her head :D.

I just tweeted her. We shall see. :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 172
    Forum Member
    indie.star wrote: »
    I just tweeted her. We shall see. :p
    Got an answer?
  • OrdinaryMorningOrdinaryMorning Posts: 2,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeorginaPL wrote: »
    Throwing out two names to dissed an entire list. Rubbish comment.

Excuse me? It's called having an OPINION. Other people have said it's a rubbish list, why go for me? You've only been registered on here for a month, who the hell do you think you are? Rubbish poster.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, but Adele couldn't hold a match for singer-songwriters like Carole King, Joni Mitchell, Kate Bush or Amy Winehouse!
    People are carried away by recent successes, you all need to get some sense of perspective.
  • crazymonkcrazymonk Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adele at #1?! :P

The person who done the list was obviously trying to appeal to the current crowd! :P

I always prefer my own little lists. :P

These lists are just someone's stupid and uneducated opinion anyway.

Too many omissions and quite a few unnecessary acts to make the list current and cool.
    Forum Member
    Excuse me? It's called having an OPINION. Other people have said it's a rubbish list, why go for me? You've only been registered on here for a month, who the hell do you think you are? Rubbish poster.
    So what's the problem? Some(one) made a list, it's their opinion. You think it's a rubbish list, it's your opinion. I said a rubbish comment, giving a reason why I think so, it's mine opinion. And who I am doesn't matter here.

If you wouldn't use the word rubbish, neither would I. And I still think if you feel like using such word here, you could take time to give more convincing argument(s).

I don't know you, so I have no reason to go after you and I didn't do it. My comment was about your comment, not about you. Your comment, on the other hand, is a personal attack on me. I don't think it's proper.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adele higher than Joni Mitchell?

Kate Bush only at no. 18?

Carol King only at no. 30?

No Laura Nyro?

No Judy Collins?

:eek:

lol... what a joke of a list. its riddiculous.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    I fail to see what is so great anout Adele.
    Forum Member
    No Laura Nyro?

No Judy Collins?

:eek:
    Judy Collins is overrated.

Laura who?

I guess I've just made a DS style comment... :p

PS. Nothing personal. Just in case...
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Judy Collins is overrated.

Laura who?

I guess I've just made a DS style comment... :p

PS. Nothing personal. Just in case...

As it's all down to personal taste then one person's "overrated artist" is another's "brilliant artist". Judy Collins has one of the most beautiful voices I've ever heard. It's true that her best known songs were written by other people, but she has written a good many very good songs herself.

Yes, Lauro Nyro is a very obscure name to most people, but to the more discerning music listener she is both well known and highly regarded, so I'm surprised that the person putting the list together has not heard of her, or if they have, has omitted her.

Here is Laura's Wikipedia entry:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laura_Nyro

And here are what are perhaps her best known songs, cover versions of which were hits for the 5th Dimension, Barbra Streisand, Blood Sweat and Tears, Three Dog Night and (once again) the 5th Dimension respectively:-

Laura Nyro - Wedding Bell Blues
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRhAtCjPGcM

Laura Nyro - Stoney End
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6diadP-g_7s

Laura Nyro - And When I Die
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUa8mbgKex8

Laura Nyro - Eli's Coming
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX5AanHQS1g

Laura Nyro- Stoned Soul Picnic
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwSNbC9zK-w
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kenny12 wrote: »
    Where's Geri? :confused:

that's a joke surely
  • CloudbusterCloudbuster Posts: 688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It all looks total tosh to me
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    It's a strange order for sure. One of Patti Smith's or Tori Amos's songs is better than Adele's entire back catalogue as far as I'm concerned.

Madonna? Singer? Barely. Songwriter? More of a co-songwriter.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe so many people think it's in order.....
    Forum Member
    As it's all down to personal taste then one person's "overrated artist" is another's "brilliant artist". Judy Collins has one of the most beautiful voices I've ever heard. It's true that her best known songs were written by other people, but she has written a good many very good songs herself.

Thank you.

I didn't really mean what I wrote (although it's true that I've never heard about Laura Nyro before), I just wanted to kind of point out what - from my point of view anyway - is a useless way of commenting or discussing. That I've never heard of Laura Nyro doesn't really mean anything, she can be a great artist, and popular one, perhaps not in my part of the world. I will check out your links. (I've heard the first one so far, great song, I know it from the great medley by Petula Clark and Peggy Lee.)

Comments type "boring", "overrated" and similar don't really tell me much about what and why, don't give me new info, don't teach me anything. Imo they don't bring anything to discussion.

Same with "no xyz?!" with no comment on why, who could be replaced, and so on. To me such comments are just expression of "I like it" or "I don't like it". It might be a bit like kids in school saying "Shakespeare is boring" meaning that his writings are useles.

So thank you for the comment that I can learn from.
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you.

I didn't really mean what I wrote (although it's true that I've never heard about Laura Nyro before), I just wanted to kind of point out what - from my point of view anyway - is a useless way of commenting or discussing. That I've never heard of Laura Nyro doesn't really mean anything, she can be a great artist, and popular one, perhaps not in my part of the world. I will check out your links. (I've heard the first one so far, great song, I know it from the great medley by Petula Clark and Peggy Lee.)

Comments type "boring", "overrated" and similar don't really tell me much about what and why, don't give me new info, don't teach me anything. Imo they don't bring anything to discussion.

Same with "no xyz?!" with no comment on why, who could be replaced, and so on. To me such comments are just expression of "I like it" or "I don't like it". It might be a bit like kids in school saying "Shakespeare is boring" meaning that his writings are useles.

So thank you for the comment that I can learn from.

You're welcome. :)
  • allthatyouwantallthatyouwant Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have included; Corinne Bailey Rae, Alanis Morisette, Dido, Natalie Imbruglia, Sara Bareilles. Bjork, Eva Cassidy and Karen Carpenter
  • Simone17Simone17 Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would have included; Corinne Bailey Rae, Alanis Morisette, Dido, Natalie Imbruglia, Sara Bareilles. Bjork, Eva Cassidy and Karen Carpenter

I was about to post...where was Eva Cassidy.
  • maninthequeuemaninthequeue Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Eva Cassidy = I'd have in my all time Top 10 female singers, but she was not a songwriter. All her well known songs were interpretations of other artists songs.

Karen Carpenter = ditto. The original Carpenters compositions were usually composed by her brother Richard with lyricist John Bettis.

Natalie Imbruglia = Her biggest hit Torn was a cover; and the rest of the songs her input were the lyrics.
    Forum Member
    Got an answer?

Yes it wasn't in order. :)
    Forum Member
    Smudged wrote: »
    I can't believe so many people think it's in order.....

Well the list was numbered so it was a fair assumption.
  • StephenmarraStephenmarra Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mallaha wrote: »
    Buffy Sainte-Marie has also written an Oscar-winning song (Up Where We Belong) and a folk standard (Universal Soldier) plus many many albums of her own material. I don't know why she wasn't included.

I wasn't aware of Aretha Franklin actually composing anything either, although she is obviously a great singer.

Dolly Parton is a good inclusion. She doesn't always get the musical credit she deserves.

Got to agree that Buffy Sainte-Marie is an obvious omission from the list.

She's had Artists as diverse as Elvis Presley, Janis Joplin,Taj Mahal and Donovan to name a few, cover her songs. A great advocate for the Native Americans and part of the 60's peace protest movement in general, one of the great Singer - Songwriters.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it is a list to celebrate the British artists than the American artists in my opinion. Aretha Franklin at only 39.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it wasn't in order. :)
    Can you put that in capitals please ;)
    Well the list was numbered so it was a fair assumption.
    One look at the order and common sense should have taken over imo :D.