Options

looking for a freesat + HD recorder need help

bensterbenster Posts: 419
Forum Member
Looking to buy a freesat+ HD recorder but not sure which is the best make to get I've got around £300 to spend, which would I be best getting, I've already got a freesat box but doesn't record so looking to upgrade

Thanks in advance for your help

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    I can only speak about the new Humax HDR 1000s.

My advice would be to avoid this box for now. It has a lot of bugs. IMO it has been released to market with inadequate testing and as such the early adopters are being used as the testers.

Have a read through this thread for an ever growing list of faults with it:

http://community.freesat.co.uk/t5/Products-and-equipment/lt-free-time-gt-updates-we-re-working-on/td-p/36

I am returning my box, some people are willing to live with the bugs but I am not.

There is also a good thread of the box on this forum here:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1729968
  • Options
    valetorvaletor Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    look no further,i got a Bush 320 HD recorder a month ago from argos for £149 ,rings all the bells good sharp HD easy to set up and you get £150 to spend at Xmas !!
  • Options
    paul1962paul1962 Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    Although the HDR 1000s has quite a few bugs at the moment it's never let me down or missed a recording so I'm happy to stick with it.

I got mine from comet for £195 with quite a few other goodies thrown in.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    paul1962 wrote: »
    Although the HDR 1000s has quite a few bugs at the moment it's never let me down or missed a recording so I'm happy to stick with it.

I got mine from comet for £195 with quite a few other goodies thrown in.

i'll second that, mine has never let me down either, i also got mine at trade price, only thing that kinda bugs me is the backwards epg sometimes takes forever to get the programmes on, even tho they are on the itvplayer on channel 903...
  • Options
    REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valetor wrote: »
    look no further,i got a Bush 320 HD recorder a month ago from argos for £149 ,rings all the bells good sharp HD easy to set up and you get £150 to spend at Xmas !!

Hope it last until Christmas. Make sure you keep the receipt.
  • Options
    valetorvaletor Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    Not a problem for me i am only 5mins from Argos
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can only speak about the new Humax HDR 1000s.

My advice would be to avoid this box for now. It has a lot of bugs. IMO it has been released to market with inadequate testing and as such the early adopters are being used as the testers.

Have a read through this thread for an ever growing list of faults with it:

http://community.freesat.co.uk/t5/Products-and-equipment/lt-free-time-gt-updates-we-re-working-on/td-p/36

I am returning my box, some people are willing to live with the bugs but I am not.

There is also a good thread of the box on this forum here:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1729968

And what are you proposing replacing it with ? :eek:

What exacty about the box in your opinion stops it working as a reliable freesat+ pvr ?

It's not perfect true, but it will never be, so many features that one user likes. others dislike.
  • Options
    ZenithZenith Posts: 3,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valetor wrote: »
    About 6 months ago I bought a Bush BU11FSRHD32 as an "untested customer return" from a seller on ebay for £45. Obviously a bit of a gamble, as there was no indication as to why it was returned. Came with everything you would get with a new box.

Has worked perfectly since the day I first turned it on. Not 1 glitch!

Bush seems to get a bad name from a lot of members, but I don't think they are any worse than the problems Samsung & Humax owners have.
  • Options
    bampsambampsam Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What exacty about the box in your opinion stops it working as a reliable freesat+ pvr ?

It's not perfect true, but it will never be, so many features that one user likes. others dislike.

I agree with the above,nothing is perfect in this life,but the HDR-1000S is not far off being the best box Humax have produced to date. It has a few minor bugs,but to be fair it has not had a single software update as yet. Give Humax/Freesat a chance to improve things.
  • Options
    REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bampsam wrote: »
    I agree with the above,nothing is perfect in this life,but the HDR-1000S is not far off being the best box Humax have produced to date. It has a few minor bugs,but to be fair it has not had a single software update as yet. Give Humax/Freesat a chance to improve things.

The picture is much better tnan the Foxsats.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    REPASSAC wrote: »
    The picture is much better tnan the Foxsats.

definitely, looks good on my 40" samsung LCD, and hopefully will look even better on my 42" LED smart tv on tuesday :D
  • Options
    Forum Member

I am returning my box today. I have not decided what to replace it with as of yet so can't say. The main thing that stops it acting as a reliable freesat+PVR for me is the fact it has missed recordings 3 times in the short time I owned it.

I agree that features I like others may not and vice versa. It can't do everything for everyone but what I do expect is for a product to do what it is supposed to do.

I don't like to accept substandard goods especially when I pay an early adopters price for them. I have no doubt that others are willing to live with bugs etc due to the fact that they can get their hands on the item straight away. But in my line of business if I released an item to the market that was not able to do what I claimed it was I would be laughed out of town.

Given time software updates will come which will fix much that is wrong but I don't see why I should have to wait for updates. It should do what it claims to do, out of the box.

I hope you and everyone else has many years of enjoyment from their boxes and thank everyone for their contribution to the forum.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I am returning my box today. I have not decided what to replace it with as of yet so can't say. The main thing that stops it acting as a reliable freesat+PVR for me is the fact it has missed recordings 3 times in the short time I owned it.

Thought I would post the video review of the box (Humax 1000s) I did before returning it incase it helps the OP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHMO4wjT_mE