TheshaneTheshane Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    PES 2009 wrote: »
    You can watch ultraviolet movies on tablets.

For me they are watchable on 7-10 inch tablets.

Surely the point of an HD format is to watch them on a big screen?
  • Options
    MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Surely the point of an HD format is to watch them on a big screen?

I think the point is that it's HD.
  • Options
    wildphantom!wildphantom! Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theshane wrote: »
    I did say go into a shop.
    But since you mention it.
    Shawshank Redemption: http://hmv.com/hmvweb/simpleMultiSearch.do?searchUID=4142655891511520741&pGroupID=0&adultFlag=false&simpleSearchString=Shawshank+Blu+ray&primaryID=0&btnSubmitSearch.x=0&btnSubmitSearch.y=0

The normal Blu Ray is half the price of the DVD/Blu Ray.
    That's just one I spotted the other day.

That's a re-release to a SteelBook. The price inflation is not due to the DVD its because of the limited edition packaging.
  • Options
    UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    I'm seeing less and less blu-rays coming with the DVD also. What I mostly see in the shops and online now is either Blu-Ray & UV copy, or 3D Bluray & 2D Blu-ray & UV copy. You can still get DVDs with blu-ray but they are becoming the minority now.

If you want the blu-ray/dvd combo and can play any regions, America is the place, they still do it for a lot of new releases.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If for example Prometheus was just the Blu-ray how much would 20th Century Fox charge £15?

You're getting a DVD and a Digital Copy for £15.

You are paying nothing extra yet moaning about it. Studios are not inflating the price.

Marvel's Avengers is currently £15.99 on Amazon which only has a Blu-ray. This is just the normal price of BD's with or without the extras.
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    I did say go into a shop.
    But since you mention it.
    Shawshank Redemption: http://hmv.com/hmvweb/simpleMultiSearch.do?searchUID=4142655891511520741&pGroupID=0&adultFlag=false&simpleSearchString=Shawshank+Blu+ray&primaryID=0&btnSubmitSearch.x=0&btnSubmitSearch.y=0

The normal Blu Ray is half the price of the DVD/Blu Ray.
    That's just one I spotted the other day.

Apart from the fact that thats a Steelbook, it makes no difference where we get comparisons from as there's no set price between single and those that have downloadable versions.
    Stores, whether instore or online seem to charge whatever they feel necessary depending on the title.
    If they do away with extra downloads or discs stores are not going to suddenly start offering all the latest releases at bargain prices. All the time some individuals are willing to pay £15 and above for the latest releases the stores will carry on selling for those prices.
    Also everything we buy on a daily basis is getting smaller and becoming more expensive so why should BluRays be any different. If anything extra discs or downloads would dissappear and the prices would remain the same.
  • Options
    UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    Are people forgetting how much new release DVDs use to be when there was no blu-ray, and that was just a DVD...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a re-release to a SteelBook. The price inflation is not due to the DVD its because of the limited edition packaging.

It's not a limited edition. No mention of limited edition anywhere. Not on that HMV site nor Amazon.

But packaged with the DVD it's double the price. Con.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's not a limited edition. No mention of limited edition anywhere. Not on that HMV site nor Amazon.

Steelbooks are limited are they not compared to the regular release?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    Apart from the fact that thats a Steelbook, at the end of the day it makes no difference where we get comparisons from as there's no set price between single and those that have downloadable versions.
    Stores, whether instore or online seem to charge whatever they feel necessary depending on the title.
    If they do away with extra downloads or discs stores are not going to suddenly start offering all the latest releases at bargain prices. All the time some individuals are willing to pay £15 and above for the latest releases the stores will carry on selling for those prices.
    Also everything we buy on a daily basis is getting smaller and becoming more expensive so why should BluRays be any different. If anything extra discs or downloads would dissappear and the prices would remain the same.

Nobody is talking about bargain prices.
    What I'm talking about is sticking an extra couple of quid on a Blu Ray so you end up with an inferior DVD copy.

Would you be happy paying an extra couple of quid buying a CD because they've packaged it with a cassette tape?

Do combo packs. If people want a DVD or a Blu Ray copy or a copy to watch on their watch, then fine, and they do that.
    But just as you can buy DVD on its own do the Blu Ray on its own. Don't stiff the customers who have upgraded to a superior format with inferior versions if they don't need them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Con comes from confidence trick - do you feel it's a trick?

In your opinion it's a rip-off, a con in a completely different thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    Steelbooks are limited are they not compared to the regular release?

I've checked on Amazon and Hmv. No mention of limited edition.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MissDexter wrote: »
    Con comes from confidence trick - do you feel it's a trick?

In your opinion it's a rip-off, a con in a completely different thing.

And what happens during a con?
    The mark get ripped off.
    So my original comment about it being a con still stands.

I have a dictionary app on my phone and this is what it says for 'con'

"con - a swindle in which you cheat at gambling or persuade a person to buy worthless property"

Worthless property: DVD and downloads.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And what happens during a con?
    The mark get ripped off.
    So my original comment about it being a con still stands.

So when you pick up the steel book of Shawshank or see an advert for it, are you tricked into believing its something it's not? Does someone take money off you through dishonest means?

No, thought not. Therefore not a con.
  • Options
    wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't stand these bloody Triple play things.
    I didn't fork out a small fortune for a Blu Ray player and a top notch telly to get dumped with a load of DVD's that I don't want, and will never watch and have ended up paying extra for.
    When DVD started they didn't come packaged with video cassettes in case people wanted to upgrade in the future, so why are we getting this now?
    And downloadable versions. Another con.
    If I am buying a Blu Ray why would I also want to watch a film on my phone screen?
    And if you want to download it, there are online stores for that rather than charging extra for a product that will never get used.

When I buy a Blu Ray, I want a Blu Ray. I don't want downloadable crap or old formats, just a Blu Ray.

Except you didn't pay extra for the DVD copies. None of the double and triple play discs were selling for any more than than the Single play releases out at the same time. It was a tactic simply to encourage DVD owners (or those with a main Bluray player but then DVD players in other rooms) to buy the Bluray version rather than the DVD version by offering a futureproof option and to give people reasons to upgrade all the DVD players to Bluray by giving them a Bluray collection when they buy DVD's

And seriously how narrow minded are you with your "if I am buying a Blu Ray why would I also want to watch a film on my phone screen?". We live in a connected world where we have the ability to consume movies where ever we are and a phone or tablet is a great way of doing so while your doing things like waiting for a plane/Train/Bus or other situations where you have some freetime but have limited options to pass the time.

And sure you could go and buy digital copies but have you see the price of these? People are never keen on double dipping and by offering them as a bonus with a bluray purchase it encourages more sales where as having to buy 2 copies can actually restrict sales and encourage piracy
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So when you pick up the steel book of Shawshank or see an advert for it, are you tricked into believing its something it's not? Does someone take money off you through dishonest means?

No, thought not. Therefore not a con.

Why not discuss the topic like a grown up rather than trying to be a smart arse?

You choose to spend your money on anything.
    But, you can buy a DVD on its own.
    But very often Blu Ray comes in a package, not on its own, now if you want that movie to own, and you have a HD/Blu Ray set up, then your paying extra for DVD you don't need.
    Worthless property. A person has been persuaded, not forced to buy worthless property. And that is a con.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow. People are moaning about something you are getting for nothing.

If Disney released The Avengers at £15.99 and had a DVD and UV copy you would moan that the price has inflated yet it is a Single Blu-ray at £15.99.

Prometheus is £14 on Amazon as a triple play. Do you really think Fox would charge less than that if it was a single disc? No.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not discuss the topic like a grown up rather than trying to be a smart arse?

You choose to spend your money on anything.
    But, you can buy a DVD on its own.
    But very often Blu Ray comes in a package, not on its own, now if you want that movie to own, and you have a HD/Blu Ray set up, then your paying extra for DVD you don't need.
    Worthless property. A person has been persuaded, not forced to buy worthless property. And that is a con.

Not being a smart arse.
    You're just being childish and spitting your dummy out because you're not happy with something.
    There is nothing "con" about any of this because its all laid out for you. The price you pay and what you get.
    Like I said, nothing is hidden and nothing is cheated out of a customers pocket.

You may feel its overpriced, you may feel its a rip-off but there is no con going on here whatsoever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wakey wrote: »
    Except you didn't pay extra for the DVD copies. None of the double and triple play discs were selling for any more than than the Single play releases out at the same time. It was a tactic simply to encourage DVD owners (or those with a main Bluray player but then DVD players in other rooms) to buy the Bluray version rather than the DVD version by offering a futureproof option and to give people reasons to upgrade all the DVD players to Bluray by giving them a Bluray collection when they buy DVD's

And seriously how narrow minded are you with your "if I am buying a Blu Ray why would I also want to watch a film on my phone screen?". We live in a connected world where we have the ability to consume movies where ever we are and a phone or tablet is a great way of doing so while your doing things like waiting for a plane/Train/Bus or other situations where you have some freetime but have limited options to pass the time.

And sure you could go and buy digital copies but have you see the price of these? People are never keen on double dipping and by offering them as a bonus with a bluray purchase it encourages more sales where as having to buy 2 copies can actually restrict sales and encourage piracy

You did, and do pay extra for the combo packs.
    Where I live we have an HMV, Morrisons, Tesco and Asda, all selling Blu Rays, and I've never once, out with a sale, seen a single packaged Blu Ray priced less than a Combo pack.

And if I've bought a Blu Ray, I am obviously wanting the best possible picture quality, so why would I want to watch it on my phone, my tiny phone rather than a big screen tv?
    You can rent films from iTunes for that, if that's how you want to watch your films.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You did, and do pay extra for the combo packs.
    Where I live we have an HMV, Morrisons, Tesco and Asda, all selling Blu Rays, and I've never once, out with a sale, seen a single packaged Blu Ray priced less than a Combo pack.

And if I've bought a Blu Ray, I am obviously wanting the best possible picture quality, so why would I want to watch it on my phone, my tiny phone rather than a big screen tv?
    You can rent films from iTunes for that, if that's how you want to watch your films.

How often do you take your big tv on train journeys? Or abroad to watch round the pool?
    The point of owning a film on any format is to watch it again and again. Renting on iTunes is no good for that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not being a smart arse.
    You're just being childish and spitting your dummy out because you're not happy with something.
    There is nothing "con" about any of this because its all laid out for you. The price you pay and what you get.
    Like I said, nothing is hidden and nothing is cheated out of a customers pocket.

You may feel its overpriced, you may feel its a rip-off but there is no con going on here whatsoever.

I am not being childish.
    I'm just saying that rather than doing all these combo packs and charging a few quid extra, for things that a lot of folk find useless, while at the sametime selling the DVD on its own, and the file for rent on ITunes etc, but not selling the Blu Ray on its own is unfair.
    And again, persuading to buy useless property is, by the definition I posted above, one of the results of a con.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not being childish.
    I'm just saying that rather than doing all these combo packs and charging a few quid extra, for things that a lot of folk find useless, while at the sametime selling the DVD on its own, and the file for rent on ITunes etc, but not selling the Blu Ray on its own is unfair.
    And again, persuading to buy useless property is, by the definition I posted above, one of the results of a con.

You're not really getting this confidence TRICK thing are you? You're not being tricked so there's no con.
    It's not rocket science.

Oh we'll, keep sulking.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How often do you take your big tv on train journeys? Or abroad to watch round the pool?
    The point of owning a film on any format is to watch it again and again. Renting on iTunes is no good for that.

If I go on a train journey I tend to be in company or I have a book and some music.
    I own a film to watch and I've spent money so I've got a good set up. I wouldn't, and don't, see the point or attraction in watching a film on a tiny phone screen or a laptop.
    And if I was going on a journey abroad or round a swimming pool I most certainly be taking my laptop with me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nobody is talking about bargain prices.
    What I'm talking about is sticking an extra couple of quid on a Blu Ray so you end up with an inferior DVD copy.
    You seem to missing the point entirely, just as the examples I linked to there is no evidence that they stick an extra couple of quid on top. For every Blu Ray that contains a DVD or a downloadable there will always be a single Blu Ray that will be more expensive.
    What your really trying to say is that you don't actually mind paying £15 for a Blu Ray, just as long as it doesn't contain anything extra you may not want that gives the illusion that you've payed more for it.