Doctor Who -50th Disappointing Year as a whole?

124»

Comments

• DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    Why are the people who are happy with the scraps they have been tossed this year so quick to get upset about this subject? If you think the fiftieth has been finely managed then you have no horse in this race. And yet the usual suspects pop up in thread after thread like BBC agents to tell us 'be thankful for what you have'. And then get upset when people say no! Hilarious. Granny has made perfect sense. It is a bit odd for a fan of DW to want to ration themselves. I want to gorge on all the DW I can. Anyone who doesn't want to can watch one of the other six billion channels/shows on offer.

And please. Missing episodes, crappy quiz shows, mentions on internet news sites (!!!!!!) do not = over exposure.

You know Salad it would make life a little easier if you quoted the people you are referring to.

A few posts ago you asked people to actually read what others are posting, I might humbly suggest that you follow your own advice.

To me at least it seemed clear that people were referring to snakecharmers post rather than grannies because rather than his anger being directed at the BBC etc it was being directed towards other posters and fans. Read that post again and if you can't see anything wrong with it then that speaks volumes about why DS is such a lousy forum to post in in 2013.

As I have said before and will keep saying until someone listens. I have no problem with people who want more. I have no problem with people who want less. I just cannot abide people being rude to others just because they have a different opinion.

And for the record I have never worked for the BBC in any capacity, nor do I wish to have sexual relations with Steven Moffat.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you think the fiftieth has been finely managed then you have no horse in this race

That's something of a shot in the foot, there, when it was previously mentioned that the forum can't be biased. Considering how many threads have been taken over to started with the intention to announce a impending complaint rather than just complain (like announcing a trailer instead of just releasing a trailer), it's not fair to block one side of the argument.

I'm pretty certain that if I started a thread praising the 50th and the production team to high heaven - there would also be "usual suspects" having the same discussion.
    As I have said before and will keep saying until someone listens. I have no problem with people who want more. I have no problem with people who want less. I just cannot abide people being rude to others just because they have a different opinion. And for the record I have never worked for the BBC in any capacity, nor do I wish to have sexual relations with Steven Moffat
  • Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are the people who are happy with the scraps they have been tossed this year so quick to get upset about this subject? If you think the fiftieth has been finely managed then you have no horse in this race..

Because we seem to be getting constantly insulted at every turn? Heck, I don't have a problem with people wanting more. None at all. Like DiscoP and CD93, it doesn't bother me. Each is entitled to their own opinion. What DOES bother me is the general insinuation of fans who are happy = bad fans, which is just extremely strange, and not right in any way. For the record, I was referring to Snakecharmer's post, not Granny's.

On a general note, do you really think the BBC would ever listen to thousands of angry fans? If so, where is the Comic Con Trailer? The one that has people complaining about everyday, even on top of the very good trailer we did get?

But still, I think the point has been made a thousand times over. Not all of us have to be annoyed with the BBC's management of Doctor Who to have a valid opinion.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DiscoP wrote: »
    , nor do I wish to have sexual relations with Steven Moffat.

Well, I believe you, thousands wouldn't. :p:D
    For the record, I was referring to Snakecharmer's post, not Granny's.

Sorry, I thought you meant me, too. Probably why salad made the same mistake.:o
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For a bit of perspective, here's what Coronation Street got for running continuously for 50 years rather than just being 50 years old.

Coronation Street
    The BBC commissioned a one-off drama called The Road to Coronation Street, about how the series first came into being. Jessie Wallace plays Pat Phoenix (Elsie Tanner) with Lynda Baron as Violet Carson (Ena Sharples), Celia Imrie as Doris Speed (Annie Walker) and James Roache as his own father William Roache (Ken Barlow). It was broadcast on 16 September 2010 on BBC Four.

In December 2010, ITV made a few special programmes to mark the 50th anniversary. Coronation Street Uncovered: Live, hosted by Stephen Mulhern was shown after the episode with the tram crash was aired on ITV 2. On 7 and 9 December a countdown on the greatest Corrie moments, Coronation Street: 50 Years, 50 Moments, the viewers voted "The Barlows at Alcoholics Anonymous" as the greatest moment. On 10 December Paul O'Grady hosted a quiz show, Coronation Street: The Big 50 with three teams from the soap and a celebrity team answering questions about Coronation Street and other soaps. Also, Come Dine with Me and Celebrity Juice aired Coronation Street specials in the anniversary week.
  • KoquillionKoquillion Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    For a bit of perspective, here's what Coronation Street got for running continuously for 50 years rather than just being 50 years old.

Coronation Street

But they didn't lose an entire series/season/block/whatever in their golden year did they? That is what a portion of fans are deeply upset about and are clearly finding it difficult to come to terms with.

The lack of a new series in 2013 or even series 8 kicking off in January 2014 is unfor-bloody-givable. No argument from anybody about that on this forum from what I can see...but, you know, we've known for ages and need to let it lie. (unless you don't (or can't), which is fine).

Would be nice to kick of Golden Novemeber with an agreement to drop the lack of series 8 issue until after the 23rd and just enjoy each others celebration of Doctor Who, but i doubt that is ever going to happen!
    Forum Member
    I'm too scared to even quote it but you can see what Moffat has to say about the blessed comic-con trailer in this article:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/doctor-who/news/a527856/steven-moffat-on-doctor-who-50th-twist-we-can-change-the-narrative.html

(Runs off to go and hide)
  • Philip_LambPhilip_Lamb Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    Yeah but we'll have things like Doctor who edition of bargain hunt, eggheads to look forward to. The split was bad enough but for the last two years there's been neither quantity or quality
    Forum Member
    They've announced the radio lineup too, there's lots of classic Doctor Who stuff in there (but I know it's not TV so it doesn't count :( )

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a527838/doctor-who-50th-anniversary-radio-programming-lineup-revealed.html
  • W._O._FrobozzW._O._Frobozz Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    I'm too scared to even quote it but you can see what Moffat has to say about the blessed comic-con trailer in this article:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/doctor-who/news/a527856/steven-moffat-on-doctor-who-50th-twist-we-can-change-the-narrative.html

(Runs off to go and hide)

Ah, once again Moffat blames the "fans" (with quotes). He forgets that he used to be one of those "fans" (with quotes), once, and was probably an even bigger pain in the arse.

There's another well known guy who likes to trash the fanbase everytime he gets criticized..his name is George Lucas.
    Forum Member
    Ah, once again Moffat blames the "fans" (with quotes). He forgets that he used to be one of those "fans" (with quotes), once, and was probably an even bigger pain in the arse.

There's another well known guy who likes to trash the fanbase everytime he gets criticized..his name is George Lucas.

Err, sorry you've completely lost me there. Where was Moffat blaming the "fans"?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    Bit of a none story that interview really. Doesn't actually say anything particularly insightful other than advertising Comic-Con - "Go there and see exclusive stuff!". Not sure where the "Narrative Changing" quote has come from either.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

@DiscoP, I'm guessing the above quote is from the same person as "Kevin" in the comments here: http://blogtorwho.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/moffat-promises-best-ever-entrance-into.html

Cameron added "fans" in the article - but it was not part of the quote from Moffat.
    Forum Member
    CD93 wrote: »
    @DiscoP, I'm guessing the above quote is from the same person as "Kevin" in the comments here: http://blogtorwho.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/moffat-promises-best-ever-entrance-into.html

Cameron added "fans" in the article - but it was not part of the quote from Moffat.

Oh my days. Is that all it takes these days for people to get "upset", putting quote marks around "words" Woweee!
  • Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh my days. Is that all it takes these days for people to get "upset", putting quote marks around "words" Woweee!

To get "upset" at the one they call "Moffat", so it seems indeed. :D
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I applaud Moffat. I think he appreciates that some fans feel a bit shortchanged but at the same time he makes some good points. And after all. He doesn't rule the schedules even if he probably should. Its a good thing they released that beauty of a trailer when they did because I think even the most patient of fans would be a bit hacked off that we aren't getting to see any footage from the special until two weeks before it airs.
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    It just feels as though the golden age of Who finished in 2011 - 13 episodes a year in a straight run and a Christmas special, with Torchwood and Sarah Jane Adventures too.

Now - in the 50th anniversary year - we have an entire season replaced by a single episode, and a few bits and pieces here and there (mostly on radio, by the looks of things).

A great shame, I think.
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    It just feels as though the golden age of Who finished in 2011 - 13 episodes a year in a straight run and a Christmas special, with Torchwood and Sarah Jane Adventures too.

Now - in the 50th anniversary year - we have an entire season replaced by a single episode, and a few bits and pieces here and there (mostly on radio, by the looks of things).

A great shame, I think.

You're determined to put the damper on the 50th annivesary aren't you. :p

Personally, I think this little break will give me at time to start New Who again from the beginning, including the Series 6 and 7 DVD's i've yet to watch. :)
  • solarpenguinsolarpenguin Posts: 488
    Forum Member
    Face facts. DW has been has been disappointing every year since 1985 onwards. This one is no exception.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Face facts. DW has been has been disappointing every year since 1985 onwards. This one is no exception.

Why stop there?

I'm sure there's been at least one DW story in every season you didn't like as much as others so why not say Doctor Who has been disappointing every year since 1963 :D
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    You're determined to put the damper on the 50th annivesary aren't you. :p

I do my best lol