Emmerdale Awful Ratings!

1235»

Comments

• Options
    star89star89 Posts: 24,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LHolmes wrote: »
    True but was having him be responsible for another death really necessary? I find it ridiculous that nothing has been said regarding Max. He was also involved in the death of that teacher.

Somehow, though, the Katie story feels like another level. You could argue he didn't intend to kill her but his lack of remorse afterwards was chilling. Is Robert now a psychopath? It feels like a short-sighted and limiting direction for one of the show's longest running characters.

Kate Oates said in an interview that Robert would do anything to protect his secret and could kill again.

I don't think there will be any redemption for Robert and personally think the character will only get worse.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    But you want rid of the best character.

If you mean shallow, repetitive, soulless Charity, she's not even close to being Emmerdale's best character.
    I like emmerdale but its definitely on too much. Every night is ridiculous. Thursday is worst with 2 split episodes. Should be one a night mon-thurs that's it. Quality over quantity.

Here here!
  • Options
    Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I usually watch everyday but must admit I haven't bothered watching a single episode this week what's going on at the moment just isn't interesting me. I'm sick of seeing Alicia moping around its depressing to watch we've also just had the exact same thing happen on eastenders - woman struggles to cope in the aftermath of being sexually assaulted and comes into conflict with the rapists mother who refuses to believe her son is guilty - it got tedious very quick on EE and now i'm watching the same thing happen again on emmerdale. I also cannot stand Vanessa and her teenage toyboy (cant even remember his name) who seem to be hogging the screen at the minute, and couldn't care less about their on-off relationship. Jimmy and Nicola are also irritating at the minute, I do like both characters and would go as far as to say they're probably the best couple on the show but their petty little domestic squabbles are getting tiresome to watch. Its the same thing over and over again - the writers create a contrived scenario to have Nicola go in a strop with Jimmy, he then attempts to make it up to her but gets it wrong and she becomes more annoyed, rinse and repeat.
  • Options
    craig_25craig_25 Posts: 2,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I usually watch everyday but must admit I haven't bothered watching a single episode this week what's going on at the moment just isn't interesting me. I'm sick of seeing Alicia moping around its depressing to watch we've also just had the exact same thing happen on eastenders - woman struggles to cope in the aftermath of being sexually assaulted and comes into conflict with the rapists mother who refuses to believe her son is guilty - it got tedious very quick on EE and now i'm watching the same thing happen again on emmerdale. I also cannot stand Vanessa and her teenage toyboy (cant even remember his name) who seem to be hogging the screen at the minute, and couldn't care less about their on-off relationship. Jimmy and Nicola are also irritating at the minute, I do like both characters and would go as far as to say they're probably the best couple on the show but their petty little domestic squabbles are getting tiresome to watch. Its the same thing over and over again - the writers create a contrived scenario to have Nicola go in a strop with Jimmy, he then attempts to make it up to her but gets it wrong and she becomes more annoyed, rinse and repeat.

Lol. You should probably have tuned in this week, most of the things you don't like seem to have taken a turn in a better direction. Chrissie faced Alicia in some amazingly emotional scenes, admitted her spawn was satan and had him carted off to jail. Vanessa realised she needs a man not a boy and kicked Kirin to the kerb. Jimmy and Nicola continue with their tedious squabble over Dubai but I reckon we'll see that tied up by next week.
  • Options
    trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    LHolmes wrote: »
    True but was having him be responsible for another death really necessary? I find it ridiculous that nothing has been said regarding Max. He was also involved in the death of that teacher.

Somehow, though, the Katie story feels like another level. You could argue he didn't intend to kill her but his lack of remorse afterwards was chilling. Is Robert now a psychopath? It feels like a short-sighted and limiting direction for one of the show's longest running characters.

I thought he has shown remorse. Perhaps more subtle than wailing in a corner like Aaron :D but then that wouldn't fit his character. Much of his subsequent behaviour looks like remorse EG looking after Andy to the point of letting him do whatever he wants. I think his remorse fits the crime which was after all not murder but an accident.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I find this criticism quite interesting. Soaps do sometimes have similar story lines but they can hardly be expected to work together and not step on each other's toes. Many probably don't watch both anyway. However the idea of not liking Aicia moping around after her sexual assault seems to go against the very thing that is a problem in soaps for me, total lack of realism and the one thing that Emmerdale and Alicia has offered in spades with this story line is a realistic reaction and aftermath of a sexual assault. Well as realistic as soaps seem able to offer.

I think everything about this story line including the acting should actually be a recommendation for watching Emmerdale rather than a reason not to.
  • Options
    AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find this criticism quite interesting. Soaps do sometimes have similar story lines but they can hardly be expected to work together and not step on each other's toes. Many probably don't watch both anyway. However the idea of not liking Aicia moping around after her sexual assault seems to go against the very thing that is a problem in soaps for me, total lack of realism and the one thing that Emmerdale and Alicia has offered in spades with this story line is a realistic reaction and aftermath of a sexual assault. Well as realistic as soaps seem able to offer.

I think everything about this story line including the acting should actually be a recommendation for watching Emmerdale rather than a reason not to.

I so agree with this. I'm one of the many people who don't watch EastEnders and agree that this storyline is very realistic. I love Emmerdale and think that the Alicia/Lachlan storyline has taken it to another level. When Emmerdale pull it out of the bag they do it with style :)
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Couldn't agree more Trev, and I do find it a bit sad that some viewers today are so desperate for their 'next fix' from the next sl that they have no interest in the reality of the story portrayed.

This for me is a perfect example of the incredibly fine line TPTB in soap have to walk in their efforts to please people. They've got one section of viewers berating them for lack of realism in jumping too quickly from one sl to the next with no aftermath and another section, (those with the attention span of ADHD goldfish), berating them for being boring for trying to be realistic. They really are in a lose-lose situation. :kitty:
  • Options
    SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The sexual assault only happened a few weeks ago, so I think a little moping is justified! Most people don't just 'get over' sexual assault a day later. I do agree that Linda's story in EE became tedious to watch, but that was mainly because EE went down the sensationalistic route of having her keep it a secret for months on end, to facilitate a tacky Christmas Day reveal. I applaud Emmerdale for not going down that road and having her go to the police straight away.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Andybear wrote: »
    I so agree with this. I'm one of the many people who don't watch EastEnders and agree that this storyline is very realistic. I love Emmerdale and think that the Alicia/Lachlan storyline has taken it to another level. When Emmerdale pull it out of the bag they do it with style :)
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more Trev, and I do find it a bit sad that some viewers today are so desperate for their 'next fix' from the next sl that they have no interest in the reality of the story portrayed.

This for me is a perfect example of the incredibly fine line TPTB in soap have to walk in their efforts to please people. They've got one section of viewers berating them for lack of realism in jumping too quickly from one sl to the next with no aftermath and another section, (those with the attention span of ADHD goldfish), berating them for being boring for trying to be realistic. They really are in a lose-lose situation. :kitty:

I watch EE and was one of the posters accused on here of having an attention span of a gnat :blush: Well there may be something in that ;-) :D but not in regard to the EE sexual assault story line. It was just a very badly handled story line in my view as SteveOwen has just posted.

Emmerdale have done a great job and deserve much credit for this.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Citadel wrote: »
    If you mean shallow, repetitive, soulless Charity, she's not even close to being Emmerdale's best character.

Strange that you should know who I was referring to.
  • Options
    AndrxwAndrxw Posts: 10,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They might do a Killer Cameron type storyline with either Robert or Lachlan.
  • Options
    lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dennisboy wrote: »
    They might do a Killer Cameron type storyline with either Robert or Lachlan.

I highly doubt they'll beat Killer Cameron. The soap has become quite burned out since then tbh. Kate Oates is running out of sensational ideas. I knew this as soon as she did that interview with DS, and named loads of storylines, rather than have a big plot to focus on. It does feel very Hollyoaks at times, but that's my opinion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Strange that you should know who I was referring to.

Not really. The love for Charity on here is pretty vocal.
  • Options
    craig_25craig_25 Posts: 2,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lou_123 wrote: »
    I highly doubt they'll beat Killer Cameron. The soap has become quite burned out since then tbh. Kate Oates is running out of sensational ideas. I knew this as soon as she did that interview with DS, and named loads of storylines, rather than have a big plot to focus on. It does feel very Hollyoaks at times, but that's my opinion.

Ouch! Comparing the fantastic scenes we've seen in ED to the absolute dross we're getting over on oaks is like a dagger to the heart!

I genuinely haven't felt an ounce of passion or emotion for a storyline in HO since Esther's suicide attempt, I'm invested in none of the characters and have given up on the ones I once loved. I watch HO purely out of habit, but I genuinely enjoy ED. Of course I know I only speak for myself, but I do find ED to better on most fronts than HO and even CS.
  • Options
    lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    craig_25 wrote: »
    Ouch! Comparing the fantastic scenes we've seen in ED to the absolute dross we're getting over on oaks is like a dagger to the heart!

I genuinely haven't felt an ounce of passion or emotion for a storyline in HO since Esther's suicide attempt, I'm invested in none of the characters and have given up on the ones I once loved. I watch HO purely out of habit, but I genuinely enjoy ED. Of course I know I only speak for myself, but I do find ED to better on most fronts than HO and even CS.

Haha maybe Hollyoaks was a bit far!:p

Emmerdale is FAR better than Corrie and Hollyoaks...