Options

Why do people say “Sky Plussed” instead of “recorded”?

Grand DizzyGrand Dizzy Posts: 7,369
Forum Member
I have noticed many, many Sky+ users using “Sky Plus” as a verb. For example: “I Sky Plussed it yesteday”. In contrast, I’ve never heard any other PVR users do this. My box is a DigiFusion, but I’ve never said: “I DigiFusioned it yesterday.”

I’m just wondering what is it about Sky+ users that makes them feel the need to buck tradition and invent a new word for “record”?

Sure, back in the VCR days we all used “tape” as a verb. But that was standard English. And it referred to the medium, not to the brand of the recorder. Nobody used to say: “I JVC-ed it yesterday.”

Don’t get me wrong — I’ve nothing against people using humorous coloquialisms. I just find it a little distracting when people feel the need to shoe-horn the name of their hardware into a conversation about TV programmes.

I don’t “Ford Focus to the pub”, or “BT my friends” or “Sebo my carpet”.

Genericised trademarks
Another consideration is that if enough people use a brand name as a verb, it eventually becomes genericised and the owner loses their rights to the trademark. So people who refer to recording as “Sky Plussing” are actually harming Sky.

(This is currently a big problem for Adobe, with people increasingly using “Photoshopping” as a verb to mean “re-touching” and Adobe launching expensive campaigns to try and counter this.)

Comments

• Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    I have noticed many, many Sky+ users using “Sky Plus” as a verb. For example: “I Sky Plussed it yesteday”. In contrast, I’ve never heard any other PVR users do this. My box is a DigiFusion, but I’ve never said: “I DigiFusioned it yesterday.”

I’m just wondering what is it about Sky+ users that makes them feel the need to buck tradition and invent a new word for “record”?

Sure, back in the VCR days we all used “tape” as a verb. But that was standard English. And it referred to the medium, not to the brand of the recorder. Nobody used to say: “I JVC-ed it yesterday.”

Don’t get me wrong — I’ve nothing against people using humorous coloquialisms. I just find it a little distracting when people feel the need to shoe-horn the name of their hardware into a conversation about TV programmes.

Genericised trademarks
    Another consideration is that if enough people use a brand name as a verb, it eventually becomes genericised and the owner loses their rights to the trademark. So people who refer to recording as “Sky Plussing” are actually harming Sky.

(This is currently a big problem for Adobe, with people increasingly using “Photoshopping” as a verb to mean “re-touching” and Adobe launching expensive campaigns to try and counter this.)

:confused: It's not a case of people "feeling the need to buck tradition and invent a new word for “record".
    It's just a perfectly normal process that happens in speech e.g. "I hoovered the bedroom today".

People didn't one day think "Ooh I really feel the need to shoe-horn the name of my vacuum cleaner into a conversation". It just happens.
  • Options
    uk_xtremeuk_xtreme Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    I googled it. I hoovered my house.
    Some trademarks just find their way into the English language...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sellotape being a classic example.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,520
    Forum Member
    It just makes sense and explains EXACTLY what you're doing, you can't really say you 'taped' it, which is what you would have said in the past :D

What do people say for DVD recorders?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    :confused: It's not a case of people "feeling the need to buck tradition and invent a new word for “record".
    It's just a perfectly normal process that happens in speech e.g. "I hoovered the bedroom today"
    But why Sky+ users and no one else?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What do people say for DVD recorders?.
    As far as I’m aware, the standard word for any kind of electronic/digital recording is “recording”.

OK, technically, PVRs don’t record anything, they just recieve data directly. But it’s the same effect as recording, and “recording” is the word all PVR manufactureres seem to use.
  • Options
    Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps people use it to imply that if another person happened to ask if (programme x) was recorded, there would be no other way of watching it if it was through a Sky+ machine without the person watching it with them.

If it was recorded via DVD-R / CD or whatever a hand over of (programme x) can take place.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still sat "taped" more often than not, I don't think I have ever used the term "SKY Plussed" it anywhere except for this post:)
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    I don't think they need to worry about that. People have been tivoing their favourite programmes for years before Sky+ came along. ;)

But then again as in the case of the vacuum cleaner primacy may not be significant as poor old James Spangler found out. :D
  • Options
    DomestiquesDomestiques Posts: 1,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I say sky plussed over recorded as once I said recorded and someone said oh can I borrow it as I missed it, now I just say sky plussed, as that is what I did. Cept of course I didnt as I now have virgin media v plus.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    Probably because its the only widely used and recognised PVR, if you "digifusioned" "humaxed" or "cheappieceofcrapped" it no one wouldknow what you were talking about
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 433
    Forum Member
    I've got V+ & i never say i've "V plussed" something, i always say i've recorded it & quite often still say i've taped it :o.
  • Options
    dachsedachse Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the term 'sky plussed' has caught on from sky adverts where they like to give the impression that the sky + machine is something extra special and unique when actually it's just a digital PVR with a Sky tuner as opposed to a DTTV one. This creates a streak of snobbishness by some users of the sky + machines who think it sounds more impressive to say 'sky plussed' and is a way of showing off that they have it.
    Perhaps we should adopt the term 'plussed' for digital recordings since there are also V+ and Freeview + machines out there doing basically the same job.
    Personally I see nothing wrong with saying 'record' or 'recorded'.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i've gone to V+ from Sky+ and I always say i've "taped" something ..

i haven't had VHS in about 6 years, maybe longer, but even before I had Sky+ and I had a dvd recorder, I still said "taped".

My sister did point out that technically I should have said "disked" :)
  • Options
    sidekick67sidekick67 Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Genericised trademarks

You need to get out more.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always just say that Ive "taped" something, regardless of whether I used sky plus, humax box, dvd or a actual tape.

I expect many people do too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tubtruck wrote: »
    Probably because its the only widely used and recognised PVR
    That could well be the answer.

Sky+ does seem to be the most well-known PVR. No doubt because Sky already had an existing customer base, whereas all the other PVR manufacturers had to start from scratch. I also believe Sky’s PVR was the first in the UK, too, so Sky got all the early adopters who were keen to get hold of one.
    I've got V+ & i never say i've "V plussed" something
    I’ve never heard of V+. What’s that?
    quite often still say i've taped it :o.
    I always just say that Ive "taped" something, regardless of whether I used sky plus, humax box, dvd or a actual tape.

I expect many people do too.
    Yes, it took me a long time to stop calling it “taping” after I switched from VCR to PVR.

My dad still calls it “taping” and nothing else. Then again, he still uses VHS regularly and considers that “good quality”. He also refers to CDs as “tapes”. (He’s a little behind the times in some respects, but I love him! :D)
    dachse wrote: »
    This creates a streak of snobbishness by some users of the sky + machines who think it sounds more impressive to say 'sky plussed' and is a way of showing off that they have it.
    I wouldn’t feel particularly proud of having to use that ugly, awkward Sky interface — or of having to pay a monthly subscription for my EPG, while everyone else gets theirs for free. (I mock, but clearly a lot of people think Sky’s service is worth the money. It’s just not to my taste.)
  • Options
    russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't there a similar tendancy to use TiVoed as a verb in the states? I'm sure I've heard in on US TV shows.

As said, it's got the mass market to carry it off. 'Recorded' works for me, though Toppied has a nice ring :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I’ve never heard of V+. What’s that?

My dad still calls it “taping” and nothing else. Then again, he still uses VHS regularly and considers that “good quality”.

V+ is Virgin Medias version of sky+

I considering vhs quite good quality, and im only 23, so I can't blame it on old age. lol.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky is the service in the same way as Freeview is and not the manufacturer of the box.

I bet the term 'freeview plussed it' wont catch on, mainly as most people have been doing the exact thing with pvr's for several years already.
  • Options
    Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn’t feel particularly proud of having to use that ugly, awkward Sky interface — or of having to pay a monthly subscription for my EPG, while everyone else gets theirs for free. (I mock, but clearly a lot of people think Sky’s service is worth the money. It’s just not to my taste.)
    It's not awkward to use, it's straight to the point, care to elaborate?
    Also, subscribers don't pay for the EPG, they pay to receive more channels of their choosing. If you had to pay to view the Sky EPG, there would be a lot of unhappy Freesat from Sky customers!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paddysu wrote: »
    Sky is the service in the same way as Freeview is and not the manufacturer of the box.

I bet the term 'freeview plussed it' wont catch on, mainly as most people have been doing the exact thing with pvr's for several years already.

and when they switch off analogue TV - will the term "freeview" still be in use?

Won't it simply be called "TV" once that is the only thing being broadcast on terrestrial?
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    Won't it simply be called "TV" once that is the only thing being broadcast on terrestrial?
    But it won't be. There are all the various subscription services which are also broadcast on DTT alongside Freeview.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's not awkward to use, it's straight to the point, care to elaborate?
    I had Sky a few years ago and I really hated the interface. If I recall correctly, the EPG was really squashed so many of the Programme titles were truncated. It was also difficult to get the programme synopses up quickly while watching a programme (or something like that). Generally, I just found it hard to get information quickly. I seem to recall it being slow to go in and out of the EPG, so you couldn’t just “flick” around quickly.

But the thing I hate the most about Sky’s system (and I will never forget this) is that you can’t change the order of the channels or delete unwanted channels . For me, that is an absolute dealbreaker — my worst nightmare. For me, the BBC channels must all be together at the start, then the ITV channels, etc. The channels I hardly ever watch must be near the end. I think Sky’s channel order began with Sky One, then a couple of BBC channels, then a couple of ITV channels, then a Welsh channel. It was all pretty random and irritating. Then there were so many unavailable channels or advert channels right in the middle of all the real channels.

I guess a lot of people don’t care about these things, but for me personally they annoyed me. I probably had more complaints, but it was a few years ago now and I can’t remember.
    Also, subscribers don't pay for the EPG, they pay to receive more channels of their choosing. If you had to pay to view the Sky EPG, there would be a lot of unhappy Freesat from Sky customers!
    Back when I had Sky, if you wanted Sky+, you not only had to pay for the box itself, you also had to pay an extra £10 a month for the service (i.e. the EPG).

If the EPG service is free (as you say, via Sky’s Freesat), then I guess that £10 a month was for nothing at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah the £10 a month was just to be able to activate the internal hard drive in the sky+ box.

You still have to pay it if youre not on sky subscription.

bit of a rip off