Sarah Kennedy

Comments

• digit aldigit al Posts: 1,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will you please stop dressing up opinion as fact. This is the third time you have said that Sarah Kennedy is staying - without a shred of evidence to support this. There hasn't been any formal announcement from the BBC to my knowledge.

Sarah Kennedy may decide to inform Dawn Patrollers of her future later this year.

mark (occy) is another one around here who thinks every thought needs to be imparted......and presented as fact!!
  • JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    sidekick67 wrote: »
    You don't. You have the right to watch and listen to TV and radio programmes. End of story. No more gives you the right to know about the personal life of a presenter than paying your council tax gives you the right to know about the health issues of anyone working for the council.

You're paying for a service and unless I'm mistaken Radio 2 is not silent between 6.00 and 7.30 when Ms Kennedy is indisposed. You're getting what you paid for.

Your statement is totally outrageous. Most of us in both the public and private sector are expected to perform our duties to a certain standard and are usually monitored to ensure that we do. If there are complaints from customers or service users then something is usually done to try and rectify the matter.
    Why should the BBC with it's income derived from compulsory taxation be any different Sidekick ? :confused:
    The BBC seems to regard itself as exempt from the need to comply with quality standards.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnny_t wrote: »
    I don't think that any of the people that actually tune in to SK's show because they happen to like her programme actually care in the least whether her tunes run into the pips, or if she knows how to backtime, or whatever. I suspect that is reserved for those that tune in to confirm that they still don't like her.

Seriously, she is just nice, gentle, middle-England, old-lady fun, and pretty much the only place that gets broadcast anywhere these days. If R2 isn't the natural home for that, I don't know what is...

Youve hit the nail on the head.

Sadly with message boards such as this one especially because of its popularity you have all these people, most of whom probably dont even listen to Sarah's show, coming on here and saying she's this, done that, should be replaced with so and so etc etc. They do it because

a> these people want to make such a fuss in the hope of influencing the high brass at radio 2 with their decision making

b> it gives them a feeling of haughty self-importance and righteousness.

c> it gives them an opportunity to argue with other people who disagree with them filling up their boring day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I going to keep out of it until she out sick again... oh I guess I be posting in the next few weeks...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    myscimitar wrote: »
    I going to keep out of it until she out sick again... oh I guess I be posting in the next few weeks...

PLEEEZZE God let this be true !!
  • digit aldigit al Posts: 1,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

you really dont have to!!
  • cymrugirlcymrugirl Posts: 3,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AndyJK wrote: »
    b> it gives them a feeling of haughty self-importance and righteousness.

c> it gives them an opportunity to argue with other people who disagree with them filling up their boring day.

Oh the irony.

I'd actually be a lot happier with SK if she did respect the music more. I listen to BBC 2 first and foremost for the music and like others was disappointed that Helen Shapiro got cut off after the first line due to poor time keeping. I think if SK could just get it together with the timing, not talk over the music as much as she does (mind you she seems to be improving of late so am quite happy) and get the artists right...I'd be ecstatic. I still prefer her to Chris Evans so am in two minds about how I'd feel when Terry leaves. I just don't think she does herself many favours with the way she treats the music.
    It's not exactly a huge ask so am disappointed that after all these years she hasn't improved on that front.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    digit al wrote: »
    you really dont have to!!

Oh I sure I be back I here bubonic plague is making a come back..bye 4 now
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    JELLIES0 wrote: »
    Your statement is totally outrageous. Most of us in both the public and private sector are expected to perform our duties to a certain standard and are usually monitored to ensure that we do. If there are complaints from customers or service users then something is usually done to try and rectify the matter.
    Why should the BBC with it's income derived from compulsory taxation be any different Sidekick ? :confused:
    The BBC seems to regard itself as exempt from the need to comply with quality standards.

I believe that if I am charged a fee for a service being available to me, whether I use that service or not and simply by dint of the fact that I use a TV for any channel but the BBC, then I am paying a tax..

That said, I believe taxpayers have rights and these should include total transparancy under Freedom of Information Act. I would think it reasonable that my rights would extend to knowing what all BBC "Talent" are paid (a move already underway I understand) and also the right to constructively criticise without being accused of heracy and burnt at the stake, so to speak. Seems to happen a lot on here..

I also think it is about time the powers that be at the Beeb discontinued their obsession with using TV presenters on R2. IMO, they have neither the skill nor the face for radio..
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    VickyBrit wrote: »
    That said, I believe taxpayers have rights and these should include total transparancy under Freedom of Information Act. I would think it reasonable that my rights would extend to knowing what all BBC "Talent" are paid (a move already underway I understand) and also the right to constructively criticise without being accused of heracy and burnt at the stake, so to speak. Seems to happen a lot on here..

Would that extend to the various bits of "constructive criticism" levelled at SK in this thread. Who's burning who at the stake now?

I very much doubt that the Freedom of Information Act would enable you to acquire deeply personal information about a radio presenter - and I'm not talking about their salary here.

And do you have any idea of how much of your taxpayers money is spent on dealing with FOI requests by public bodies each year? Quite possibly enough to pay someone like... Sarah Kennedy!
  • Murray MintMurray Mint Posts: 9,129
    Forum Member
    digit al wrote: »
    mark (occy) is another one around here who thinks every thought needs to be imparted......and presented as fact!!

It really annoys me when people present their opinion, rumour or speculation as fact. Chinese whispers!
    Forum Member
    VickyBrit,

Sarah Kennedy's private life is none of your business! How would you feel if Sarah Kennedy, or any other "taxpayer" delved into your private life?
  • RAY VONRAY VON Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Murray mint". 74 posts since you joined us on Sunday. That's dedication!
    Forum Member
    VickyBrit,

Sarah Kennedy's private life is none of your business! How would you feel if Sarah Kennedy, or any other "taxpayer" delved into your private life?

Read the papers. The Times, amongst others, reported in August that the BBC, in addition to the already reported remuneration paid to its top executives, would soon also have to publish the salaries they pay to their "Talent".. Like it or not, it is going to happen my friend..

And quite right too.. though, thinking about it, there might be a loophole for SK if it only applies to talent..

Ah well, time for bed and a good night's sleep.. Nighty-night
    Forum Member
    Read the papers. The Times, amongst others, reported in August that the BBC, in addition to the already reported remuneration paid to its top executives, would soon also have to publish the salaries they pay to their "Talent".. Like it or not, it is going to happen my friend..

And quite right too.. though, thinking about it, there might be a loophole for SK if it only applies to talent..

Ah well, time for bed and a good night's sleep.. Nighty-night

Why the constantat attacks on Sarah Kennedy? Have you nothing else better to do?

VickyBit, under the FOI I want to know your personal details i.e. name, sex, date of birth, annual salary, your occupation, your bank account details etc.

Perhaps I could take advantage of a loophole too?
  • sidekick67sidekick67 Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JELLIES0 wrote: »

Calm down !

My statement is not "totally outrageous", it's not even outrageous. Whether Ms Kennedy or anyone else for that matter is not performing their duties to a certain standard is an issue for the employer. Can people suffering poor service complain? Absolutely. That however wasn't the point I was making and if you had contained your outrage a bit you might have realised it.

My point was that we have no right to know anything about the personal health issues of Ms Kennedy. My reply to myscimitar's post was in response to his assertion that as licence payers we have the right to know what is wrong with her.

We don't. It's none of our business.

If she is performing badly, we are entitled to complain. The reason for her poor performance or absences? Well, we don't have any entitlement to that information.
    Forum Member
    Would that extend to the various bits of "constructive criticism" levelled at SK in this thread. Who's burning who at the stake now?

I very much doubt that the Freedom of Information Act would enable you to acquire deeply personal information about a radio presenter - and I'm not talking about their salary here.

And do you have any idea of how much of your taxpayers money is spent on dealing with FOI requests by public bodies each year? Quite possibly enough to pay someone like... Sarah Kennedy!

I would say that there is a lot of constructive criticism of Sarah Kennedy in this forum. The suggestion that someone in her position should be reasonably skilled at backtiming, should giver the correct title and performer for each disc and should recognise the fact that people want to listen to the music without interruptions in the middle of the track for example.
    Of course the nature of any serious health problem is none of our business. The fact that she does not carry out her duties to anything like a generally recognised good standard certainly is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Calm down !

My statement is not "totally outrageous", it's not even outrageous. Whether Ms Kennedy or anyone else for that matter is not performing their duties to a certain standard is an issue for the employer. Can people suffering poor service complain? Absolutely. That however wasn't the point I was making and if you had contained your outrage a bit you might have realised it.

My point was that we have no right to know anything about the personal health issues of Ms Kennedy. My reply to myscimitar's post was in response to his assertion that as licence payers we have the right to know what is wrong with her.

If she is performing badly, we are entitled to complain. The reason for her poor performance or absences? Well, we don't have any entitlement to that information.

Oh give over. Jonathan Ross is paid an £18 million salary which is far more reason for tax payers to complain about than what ever poor Sarah Kennedy says or does on the radio and who I imagine earns a fraction of Ross's wages. Get your priorities right.

Kennedy's style is suited to Radio 2 which is why she has a large audeience and been in her current slot for over 15 years. She hasnt changed and her views are well known, so stop listening and find another station. It will be better for your health.
    Forum Member
    Calm down !

Ahem ! :rolleyes:
    You don't. You have the right to watch and listen to TV and radio programmes. End of story.

We have a right to listen but not to complain at the poor standard of same ?
    You're paying for a service and unless I'm mistaken Radio 2 is not silent between 6.00 and 7.30 when Ms Kennedy is indisposed. You're getting what you paid for.

We have sound coming out of the speakers so that's the extent of the Beeb's responsibilty ?
  • sidekick67sidekick67 Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jellies0 if you are going to quote me at least get the context correct - don't misquote me please.

I have never at any point in this thread said that we don't have a right to complain. Read my last post and you will see that I specifically state that we have the right to complain.

When I said "You don't. You have the right to watch and listen to TV and radio programmes. End of story." I was replying to myscimitar saying that paying the licence fee means he has the right to know what is wrong with Ms Kennedy.
    Yeh, you pay £142.50 a year. Hardly gives you the right to know about the personal health issues of one of the presenters..
    If she can't do her job, then yes of course I have a right

Not sure why AndyJk has quoted me - I have only given my opinion that Ms Kennedy's health status is none of our business.

Please read comments before you misquote.
    Forum Member
    I've never read such a load of nonesense.. obviously written by some imagining what the want the law to say, rather than what it actually says.. And anyone who disagrees is berated?

See.. http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Yourrightsandresponsibilities/DG_4003239 from the Gov't's own website and I quote..

"The Freedom of Information (FOI) Act
    The FOI gives you the right to ask any public body for all the information they have on any subject you choose. Also, unless there’s a good reason, the organisation must provide the information within a month. You can also ask for all the personal information they hold on you."

You can't argue with that because it is the law.. though on recent form, what difference will that make to some on here?
    Forum Member
    I've never read such a load of nonesense.. obviously written by some imagining what the want the law to say, rather than what it actually says.. And anyone who disagrees is berated?

See.. http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Yourrightsandresponsibilities/DG_4003239 from the Gov't's own website and I quote..

The FOI gives you the right to ask any public body for all the information they have on any subject you choose. Also, unless there’s a good reason, the organisation must provide the information within a month. You can also ask for all the personal information they hold on you."

You can't argue with that because it is the law.. though on recent form, what difference will that make to some on here?

Why have you got the knives out for Sarah Kennedy? You're like a man (or woman) possessed. Please explain.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member

My neice was doing her A Levels last year and her chemistry teacher had 5 periods of absence due to sickness during the year. She had 5 different sub teachers who knew nothing about chemistry. Can my sister ask the education board for the reason for the teachers absence?

I would doubt it very very much and the education board is a public body just like the BBC.

A persons health either public or private employee is confidential.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jellies0 if you are going to quote me at least get the context correct - don't misquote me please.

I have never at any point in this thread said that we don't have a right to complain. Read my last post and you will see that I specifically state that we have the right to complain.

When I said "You don't. You have the right to watch and listen to TV and radio programmes. End of story." I was replying to myscimitar saying that paying the licence fee means he has the right to know what is wrong with Ms Kennedy.

Not sure why AndyJk has quoted me - I have only given my opinion that Ms Kennedy's health status is none of our business.

Please read comments before you misquote.

Sorry if I got the wrong end of the stick.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If nobody likes to listen to SK why get uptight and bitter they are other stations i listen to but if one presenter comes on i don't like i switch the radio off or re-tune to another station.

people must have sad lifes if SK on Radio 2 annoys them get a life or another radio station instead of moaning about her lifes to short!
This discussion has been closed.